Forums Latest Members

How does lume deteriorate?

1. Engee Dec 19, 2019

My current watch obsession (they tend to last a week before I decide I need something else) is an automatic GMT and I'm interested in finding a Seiko 6117-6410. This one looks nice and clean, but the lume looks a bit wobbly-edged, especially the triangle on the 24 hour dial and the marker at 12.00. Is this authentic ageing or has someone tried to touch it up? Also the colour of the triangle looks a bit yellow compared with the other markers.

What do people think of this example? Has it been heavily refurbished?

By the way, the white mark on the blue line just near 12.00 is actually on the glass.

seiko.jpg
  2. M'Bob Dec 19, 2019

I would guess how many things deteriorate - uv exposure, moisture, temperature fluctuations, shocks, material breakdown over time, etc.

Dsloan and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. Engee Dec 19, 2019

I guess I need to be more specific. Does the watch pictured showed normal deterioration of lume given that some of the lume looks "cleaner" than other parts, and the other markings looks pretty fresh?

4. Vitezi Dec 19, 2019

Hard to say from just the one picture. The subject watch looks like it was illuminated by a yellow incandescent light, which may account for some of the yellow that you see. Any more/better pictures? How old is the watch?

Engee likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 19, 2019

Actually.. You are not really asking about Lume. You can learn about Lume here on OF using the search function or by Googling.

You are asking if this is a re-dial. This is actually a reasonable question as redials are an issue with certain Seiko watches and readily available in Asia. Some are very very good. This model may be one that is frequently redialed.

So what I suggest is that you head over to the Other Watch Brands Forum and post: “Help needed: Seiko Ref#, Circa.....Is this a redial? “

Then state your concerns and ask for validation. I’m sure our Seiko collectors would be happy to chime in.

Pun and Engee like this.
  6. Mad Cow Dec 19, 2019

Same as you... gets exposure to various (some good, some bad) & she ages. Simple as that.

Engee likes this.
  7. JwRosenthal Dec 19, 2019

The irregularly of lume deterioration can also be a result of where moisture got in. I have a few watches that show slight lume discoloration at the 2-5 indices which means the crown was the point of ingress. Sometimes it’s even on the dial- or more prominent on the hands and not the dial- that could be rear case seal from sweat and moisture condensed on the crystal and the point of moisture was high in the watch if it was left for an extended period after exposure lying on its case back.

Also as said before- material choice has much to do with it. Hands and dials can come from different sub-contractors and be made with different lume compounds so don’t always age the same way. Also, there could have been a change of materials used from one year to another so even the same model can have different aging characteristics from one year to the next (Rolex in the 80’s comes to mind).
    Lots of variables- but knowing the model of a particular watch well and seeing as many examples as possible can give you the insight you need.

M'Bob likes this.
  8. Engee Dec 19, 2019

Actually I think you may be right, thank you! The seller has posted a few other images that show more consistency of colour at different angles. I guess it’s now more a question of whether the marks have been repainted, the point raised by Larry S.

The watch is only listed as 1970s.

9. Engee Dec 19, 2019

Thank you for the clarification, yes, that’s my concern. I was focusing on the lume because I was questioning whether the inconsistencies I spotted were evidence of natural deterioritation or having been repainted. My concern being a repaint rather than natural deterioration.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 19, 2019

Yea .. looking back I called them re dial. What I really mean are new very good replica dials. From some posts I’ve seen, they are hard to spot. Could be a refinish but I doubt. Just remember that occasionally a very nice original emerges from a dresser or a vault.

JwRosenthal likes this.