Forums Latest Members
  1. SunTiger Jun 16, 2020

So, I have had this watch for 10 years. Never serviced. In fact, I have been planning on taking it in for the first time soon.

I am picky as can be, and I assure you that there is no way this dust, (or whatever it is) has been on the dial this whole time. I just noticed this yesterday. How could dust get inside of a sealed watch??

This is nothing you need a microscope for either.. take a look at a simple cell phone pic..

[​IMG]

I assume when I finally do drop it off for service at Omega, and mention this.. they can remove it :)?

Something else (that I have known about for 10 years) is that the bezel has always been slightly misaligned. You can even see it a little in this pic. Is that something they can also fix when in for service?

Thanks guys!

T

2. Davidt Jun 16, 2020

Is it a speck of lume from the hands?

Pazzo and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. NGO1 Jun 16, 2020

You have a few dozen metal parts grinding on each other, eventually metal dusts happened. Given that it’s a decade old, lots of metal dusts inside that movement. One escaped. We call that one special dust particle, Neo, around here..

Icnbne likes this.
  4. Donn Chambers Jun 16, 2020

Also considering it is 10 yeas old, how are you sure it is still sealed? Rubber can only maintain a good seal for a certain amount of time until it becomes stiff and cracks. Ever had tires with perfectly good tread fail because they are old? I have, and it's not pretty.

5. JwRosenthal Jun 16, 2020

I had this happen on a watch where a small chunk of lume left an indices and floated to the crystal (got to love static electricity). Luckily my watchmaker was able to re-adhere it and I can’t even tell. After years of heat and dry conditions, things can start to flake and migrate....your watch has just started to enter old age- welcome.

6. SunTiger Jun 16, 2020

No idea. Anything I guess is possible. Tho, I when viewed in sunlight.. it appears more metallic. So, I am thinking it could be metal shavings as others have said.

Yeah, that seems like the most logical answer. lol, well I guess a service is due. Still.. kinda hard to believe that actually happened.

I frequently wash the watch with dawn dish soap to keep it clean and looking perfect. While, this is not really submerging the watch.. I have never had an issues. Even so, I think its unlikely dust would come in through rubber etc. Water, possibly.. but I dont think this is the case here. Not to mention, it would have to work its way on to the dial. Yeah, I think the other member hit it right when he said its a shaving from wear. That makes the most sense.

7. SunTiger Jun 16, 2020

haha.. wow. Yeah, it appears more metallic vs. lume. I think it's likely metal shavings from wear. This makes the most sense.

All well, whatever it is.. Omega will have to deal with it. I will send it in soon to have it rebuilt.