Forums Latest Members

How cool is that, aka The Future Is Here

1. vitriol May 10, 2021

What would you say, if 10 year ago someone would have told you about Tesla's on the streets, serial production of autonomous vehicles, commercial space flights or robotics from Boston Dynamics?
    "-Duh!" or "-Huh?"
    Perhaps we can share those news which has made you "WOW!" in a pleasant and surprising way, and at the same time made you feel a little bit uncomfortable because who would have expected sci-fi in the real life right?
    All cutting-edge, innovations which impressed you.

One request, please verify your source first. Let's use only those good ones, those reliable and let's try to avoid sharing hoaxes and conclusions made (up?) by very sad narrators of unknown origin and supported by the yellow subtitles..
    Yea I mean conspiracy theories and this kind of stuff.

To me, a personal-jetpack from UK Gravity Industries was the nicest surprise of the recent weeks.
    The real life tests were on the sea and on the land.
    The Royal Marines were testing out a jet pack to see how useful they are in the onboarding operations.So helicopter and ropes are no longer a must. Secondly, jetpack can be used by paramedics and will significantly shorten the time needed in rescue actions.
    Probably they can also fly to the continent, pick-up a new watch and fly back without any importation tax, though this concept is yet to be proven..in publics.

2. jeppe888 May 10, 2021

looks absolutely awesome

3. Pvt-Public May 10, 2021

As mentioned before in another thread, totally useless for military operations. The personnel would be easy defenseless targets for small arms fire.

i20rider likes this.
  4. riimar May 10, 2021

Great innovation for some purposes, but I would rather climb that ladder. Makes me wonder how long flight time you got, before running out of fuel :D

5. rob#1 May 10, 2021

Caliber561 and vitriol like this.
  6. JwRosenthal May 10, 2021

7. Syzygy May 10, 2021

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  8. vitriol May 10, 2021

This is also interesting topic where airspace meets legal.
    More than 5 year ago Amazon planned similar service for US market. As far as I know they still need a respective update in the air navigation regulations - how would commercial flight of autonomous drones fit inbetween the "manned" flights.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Air/b?ie=UTF8&node=8037720011

Edited May 11, 2021
    rob#1 likes this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 10, 2021

Not even close, as of today.

kkt and Motik like this.
  10. Canuck May 10, 2021

Harkening back to the Dick Tracy comics of my youth, and the wrist radios that Chester Gould (the writer) foresaw all those decades ago. And here we are. Computers in the temple of your spectacles. Microscopic cameras that can travel through the circulatory system and broadcast what it sees.

Edited May 11, 2021
  11. riimar May 11, 2021

Something like this, right?

dodo-pizzas-new-drone-pizza-delivery-service.jpg

JwRosenthal and rob#1 like this.
  12. wsfarrell May 11, 2021

I generally have great respect for the USPS. However, a couple years ago I ordered a cell phone. It came in a medium priority mail box. The box had been flattened, and there was a truck tire track running across it. The phone was toast. The post office had affixed a label to the outside of the box: "Contents inspected, OK."

Duracuir1, marco and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. wsfarrell May 11, 2021

A little story: I was diving with friends off the Farallon Islands (California). I had a wetsuit, the others had drysuits. One of them managed to get upside-down in his drysuit. This caused all the air in the suit to rise to his feet, and he could not right himself. A couple of us managed to get him upright. The point: If I tried one of these jetpacks, I'm pretty sure I would immediately point my arms straight up and plummet to earth at 150 mph, being unable to move my arms down. They do look like fun, though, for brave, coordinated people.

14. JwRosenthal May 11, 2021

My friends always joke that I need children’s safety scissors....sadly, it’s not a joke.

Syzygy and wsfarrell like this.
  15. Charlemagne1333 May 12, 2021

Technological, and scientific innovations have moved on with such a pace, within the last century, that our ability to manifest, and capitalise on our understanding is often greeted with indifference, e.g., quantum physics, nanosurgery, flavour-changing gobstoppers…

All too often, the inventions that I find the most compelling are the ones that nobody asked for.

I mean what the f::censored::k is all this about?

C31D7190-B956-4A0D-ACF2-AF54F6745D77.jpeg

This is a product for people who consider microwaving a frozen meal to be a chore. Who eats this s::censored::t?

16. Professor May 12, 2021

When I was a youngster there were still public pools locally. My nieces and nephews, not much younger than I was, came along. My youngest niece, who was tiny and very slender, put on a small life ring type float around her chest and dived in head first in the shallow end . The ring was forced up towards her knees and she was touching the bottom with her hands but the ring was preventing her from righting herself, panicking she just kept kicking her legs but couldn't figure out how to free her legs from the ring. I jumped in and got her. She was very upset and sobbed "all I could see was water".

wsfarrell likes this.
  17. RI Omega Fan May 12, 2021

“I’ve seen the future, baby, and it’s murder” - Leonard Cohen

The Future. Kinda dark (okay, very dark), but a brilliant song.

18. wagudc May 12, 2021

@Professor and @wsfarrell those are both very scary stories. Glad you were each there in those situations to help out. I am dry-suit trained and an uncontrolled feet first ascent is very dangerous, and arguably the new number one priority to avoid. Assuming I was doing no-decompression diving, I would rather run out of air. At least then you can do a controlled ascent and drop your weight belt at the top.

wsfarrell likes this.
  19. Evitzee May 12, 2021

Good enough for the Blues Brothers associates.....
    (379) CheeseWhizBoy.avi - YouTube

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  20. pdxleaf ... May 12, 2021

Not 30 seconds ago a guy went screaming down my street standing on a gyro electric wheel. There are a lot of guys using gyro skateboards here, not to mention traditional skateboards (i live in Portland Oregon on top of a hill next to a public park; perfect skateboarding territory.)

This guy had a helmet on and looked like a dude on a paddle board, leaned back and comfortable. I thought of this thread. It is completely futuristic but at the same time becoming more normal to see people zipping about on gyros.

Couldn't see what watch he was wearing though, too fast.