Forums Latest Members
  1. steffe Nov 5, 2019

Hi OF!

This is my first thread over here, but I have been lurking offline for a while. Now I'll probably get stuck here for life as I am on a big swedish forum :rolleyes:

I have been in the hunt for my first 321 speedy for a while and saw this 105.012-66 CB auctioned in Stockholm, Sweden. My budget is pretty limited so the "minty" ones are out of reach I'm afraid. I am looking for a "head only" watch in "honest condition", but don't want it to be to beat up as well.

Can you guys please give me an honest opinion of this watch?
    Are all the parts original to the watch/reference?

As far as I can tell the dial looks pretty okay, there are some marks around the subdials, but these are in different angles depending on the picture so I guess it's the crystal and not the dial. Should I be to concerned about the beat up bezel and caseback? I have always loved the charm of a used watch, but is this to much?

Feel free to give me your own thoughts about it. A thousand thanks in advance! I really apreciate all the help I can get :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Nov 5, 2019
    joso and Benbradstock like this.
  2. Dan S Nov 5, 2019

The crown is replaced and the sweep hand may be re-lumed, but it looks pretty honest overall ... just a bit rough. The CB lug facets are still visible, which is nice. Regarding condition, it's really totally up to you whether or not you find it appealing.

Benbradstock likes this.
  3. steffe Nov 5, 2019

Thanks for replying Dan! Bummer about the crown - but the pushers seem correct for the reference right? Totally true about the condition, that really is up to the buyer. To make an honest opinion about it I plan to see the watch in the metal this weekend.

joso likes this.
  4. Dan S Nov 5, 2019

The pushers look correct to me.

steffe likes this.
  5. Nla91 Nov 5, 2019

It all depends on the price. I don't think the "patina" is too much. Well it's not a mint condition watch, but it still has a charm in my opinion. It has been serviced multiple times, as seen on the caseback, so the polish and crown replacement has probably been done in the past.
    The fat neck pushers looks correct, which is a big plus. The dial (narrow T) and hands are correct as well. As Dan S said, it looks pretty honest.

kip595 and Benbradstock like this.
  6. steffe Nov 5, 2019

Thank you very much for your input. I couldn't agree more that it has a charm to it :) Regarding price, I can't really tell since it is an auction but I would imagine it sell at around $6500-7000 including commision. That would be pretty fair I guess?

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 5, 2019

Likely close to $10k USD

8. Davidt Nov 5, 2019

Case is very average, dial is very average and bezel is average.

I'm also not convinced the close T dial is correct for a CB-66.

It's not one I'd personally make a play for. If budget is a restriction I'd rather have a 145.012-67, 145.022-68 or a 145.022-69 in better condition.

jhross98, JimJupiter, steffe and 3 others like this.
  9. Dgercp Nov 5, 2019

If you want a CB case and can get this at 6-7 k, I think it is a nice overall watch. Not collector grade but a cool daily wear. Agree with @Davidt that for a bit more money you can get a nicer 145.012 and still have your cal 321.

steffe likes this.
  10. steffe Nov 6, 2019

Thanks a lot for all the help! I really appreciate it. I'm gonna try to make an expression of my own when I see it in the metal this weekend. If it's too beat up I'll for sure wait and try to hunt an 145.012 instead which actually was on my radar first anyway :)

11. Patrik83 Nov 6, 2019

Hej Steffe, välkommen till forumet.

In general it looks like a honest watch and not cobbled together. However a bit beaten up.

The only thing to me that is not correct for this reference is the crown and the accompanied bracelet. It is quite common that the crown was exchanged during a service in the past. The dial to me is correct with the closed spaced Ts as it is not late in the series. I have a -66 just a couple of hundred in series later than this, with closed space Ts. I have also observed multiple others with the same. It it is possible to source a correct crown later on with not to much effort for about 400 USD.

When you go to have a look at the watch, if you like the looks, check that the chrono starts, stops, reset and that it is possible to set the time and wind it. You should also count in that it most likely need to have a service. This would cost roughly 600 USD + parts (if needed) in Sweden.

Edited Nov 6, 2019
  12. steffe Nov 6, 2019

Hej! Tack så jättemycket!

Thank you for your input on this. I am interested in the watch mainly for those reasons you just stated: It seems very honest. I'll definitely try to wind and play with it. Will try to be there for at least a couple of minutes just to make sure all the hands works properly. Ofc a service would be wise, but if something seems broken with it I wont bid since parts are pretty hard to get and I don't think I have the patience :)

joso likes this.
  13. Patrik83 Nov 6, 2019

Well in my experience it is not an issue to get parts for the movement if the watchmaker has an account with Omega. However, external correct parts is not something that is easy.

steffe likes this.
  14. joe band Nov 6, 2019

i guess it depends on your intent and price. do you plan for daily wear, or a safe queen? i'd love to own that piece as an honest example of a 55 year old speedy. is it priced as such, or is it someone's idea of a pie-in-the-sky price?

post picks from your "interview" and let us know if you buy it.

steffe likes this.
  15. steffe Nov 6, 2019

Daily wear for sure! Est is around $4000-$6000 but yes of course it might go higher than that. I was planning to try to stick to the estimate if possible though!

16. Davidt Nov 6, 2019

When you say you have seen several -66 with close T dial, do you mean HF or CB cases?

I’ve seen plenty of HF with narrow T but can’t recall a CB that look original with a narrow T dial.

17. Nla91 Nov 6, 2019

I agree most -66's in general features the "wide T" dial but I have seen CB examples before with "narrow T". MWO states it to be found in a -66 as well but rare.

Found this one from Davidoff. Apparently it came from the original owner and looks very original and honest.

http://www.db1983.com/our-archive/omega-speedmaster-105012-66-cb-bp-1968

67621820_356970245256755_1025367135221576463_n.jpg

Risto, Davidt and steffe like this.
  18. steffe Nov 7, 2019

A thought that just crossed my mind. Serial 24'952'911 for a 105.012-66CB looks okay I guess? :)

19. Dan S Nov 7, 2019

Check using ilovemyspeedmaster.com

20. steffe Nov 7, 2019

Thanks a lot. "July 1967" :thumbsup: