Forums Latest Members
  1. sdre Dec 12, 2019

vacheroyale likes this.
  2. vbrad26 Dec 12, 2019

The hipsters will be thrilled.
    Honestly though, Lecia is known to make some good stuff, and those who like them REALLY like them.

Edited Dec 12, 2019
  3. Kmart Dec 12, 2019

My impression as an outside observer is that Leica seems to be the Rolex of the camera world. Legendary, universally praised and revered by people like Ben Clymer, very high quality... too expensive.

That said everyone who does own one seems to absolutely love it (same as with Rolex). I'm not a photographer though so I can't fathom spending $5k on a Leica Q2, let alone $15k for this.

4. Elitr6 Dec 12, 2019

Start saving for the Hodinkee Audi Q7 with ghost indicators...

rhj, KingCrouchy, bigdubnick and 17 others like this.
  5. Braindrain Dec 12, 2019

Leica make great cameras, no Q. For those in the market, I dont see many wanting to pay double cause it's the Dink edition.

However, the photog elite scoff at modern Leica cause they're supposedly not really made in Germany.

6. JPE.88305 Dec 12, 2019

And like Rolex, Leica has always been a premium brand but has taken off with price the last several years...but they're so well made you can pick up an older used one for well under $1k and it takes amazing photos...if you have the time & patience to develop the film.

But as for digital cameras, unless one is in the film/high-end photography industry, it's excessive and superfluous...and even then there are competitors (eg. Nikon) that are equally good just less storied/not German/European...

7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 12, 2019

Same camera and lens is about $12,000 non dinked at B and H.

red crowned, marco, sdre and 3 others like this.
  8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 12, 2019

$15,000.000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sdre likes this.
  9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Dec 12, 2019

Because Ben Clymer proclaimed it to be cool and a must have with your ghosty vintage Sub. Doesn't everyone have a ghosty vintage Sub?.

I will say, that ad layout is pretty good.

KingCrouchy and Interstatetime like this.
  10. vbrad26 Dec 12, 2019

You're mistaken.
    It's actually the BMW (insert any) series.
    :D

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 12, 2019

I briefly considered a Leica. Then did my research and bought an OMD EM1 MK 2 and accessories for much less.

micampe, red crowned, ext1 and 3 others like this.
  12. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 12, 2019

I can see the guys at the Leica forums laughing at us for paying $15,000 for a watch.::screwloose::

kkt, janice&fred, airansun and 14 others like this.
  13. JPE.88305 Dec 12, 2019

lol, yeah though I think for most people spending that kidna coin on a camera, it's equipment & a tax writeoff as opposed to hobby/impulse/grounds for divorce.

vacheroyale and funkright like this.
  14. Elitr6 Dec 12, 2019

Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers :)

It's been scientifically proven

madjestikmoose and vbrad26 like this.
  15. Linzer Dec 12, 2019

For me, Leica is bit confusing. It is the camera I often see in pictures placed next to a watch etc. But then what camera is used to take the picture? Do I have to buy two Leicas, one to take the picture with and another to be pictured to show that I have one? :D ::screwloose::
    Seriously, I don't know how many images I see are taken with a Leica, but I know thousands of pictures taken about them.

rcs914, nzshadow, krogerfoot and 10 others like this.
  16. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 12, 2019

I have never in my life seen a professional using a Leica. 99% of the time Canon or Nikon.

Lurk41, marco, sdre and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dsloan Dec 12, 2019

Speaking as a photographer, Leica makes amazing products. For street photography and photojournalism, their rangefinders deserve their reputation. Their glass is fantastic and much sought-after for both stills and for filmmaking.

They are also super overpriced. And, this edition feels like conspicuous consumption for hobbyists. A professional could build out a first-rate kit around the Sony A7R IV (lenses, profoto lights, tripod, etc) for the price of this single Leica rangefinder. But, in theory, cameras pay for themselves, unlike watches. And, when you get into high-end camera gear, lots of things start to have ridiculous prices. The other day I spent $200 on TWO little cables for my Red Gemini to get some parts of the camera to talk to each other. I'm sure they cost $5 or less to manufacture. And, if I want the privledge of getting balanced audio into my Red, that'll cost me another $3K for an expander module with phantom power. All of this stuff has premium costs - they assume that if you're interested in professional gear, you'll be able to pay professional prices.

scv55, sdre, aap and 3 others like this.
  18. Martin_J_N Dec 12, 2019

Awesome camera with so much history behind it, there are special editions that cost more, so $15k isn't bad compared to others. I would have a Leica at the drop of a hat, love the look and that fact that it is a small compact camera with top quality glass to go on the front of it, but the price to get into the system...............

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. JPE.88305 Dec 12, 2019

lol i've never in my life seen an avg person using a $15,000 Leica (though plenty of $15,000 watches), I must not hang around the people with that kind of disposable income!

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2019

But I assume no "professional" would pay a premium for a limited edition put out by a watch blog/site/store...

The marketing here works clearly, but in some ways I have no idea why. I understand that Ben has a connection to this camera, and to the Omega Mk. 40, but I don't and I assume most of those who buy this stuff don't. Why it is that his connection to these items is something people want to get in on? No idea...

kkt, RawArcher, aap and 1 other person like this.