Forums Latest Members

Hideous fake or something more interesting?

1. Mazoue Apr 24, 2019

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l16001.jpg

https://www.ebay.de/itm/163660826390Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The engraving looks to be of very poor quality and I'm not sure it's even central or level but someone has gone to a great deal of effort to remove the logo and engrave the SAS emblem assuming it is a fake.

0d1ff4eda1eab5a7fa6e1996de2330da006dc250.jpg

2. Diabolik Apr 24, 2019

A clip from a great movie comes to mind ...

CaptainWinsor likes this.
  3. Mazoue Apr 24, 2019

Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing this to the original SAS Polarouter De Luxe watches.

I think it's hideous and, in isolation, would assume it was a poor fake and move on without giving it any further thought.

However we have seen other gold Polerouters that were made for the US market with engraved dials.

If you were picking a watch to create a fake, would you really choose this one? There are few Polerouters that are less desirable. The cost of engraving the dial would be significant compared to the low value of the watch.

However if you were an SAS Exec in the US in the late 60s/70s . . .

Mark020 likes this.
  4. BenBagbag Apr 24, 2019

Is this a legit movement? Looks like it's a replica.

Screenshot_20190424-044856_eBay.jpg

5. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 24, 2019

Why do you think that?

6. Mazoue Apr 24, 2019

I'm not that familiar with the later movements but I think it's a Cal 72 and absolutely fine.

7. BenBagbag Apr 24, 2019

Never seen that movement before but I'm not familiar with later microtor movements. Thought it was strange that it is unnumbered and the rotor is kind of large. Just wanted to check. :thumbsup:

8. Masterofkarate Apr 24, 2019

I am with you on why someone would create a fake out of this watch. Maybe it was for practice. Maybe it's not even fake, and it is for an executive in the later years. But looking closely at the engraving I can't help but feel that this is a wackjob. The lines are not straight. The flags and the crowns are not symmetrical. The SAS font is uneven. And to top it off, it's not even engraved in a right angle.
    But why go through the trouble? It is an enigma this watch.

BenBagbag likes this.
  9. bgrisso Apr 24, 2019

My favorite movie of all time ::love::

As for the watch, I have no idea.....

Diabolik likes this.
  10. MarktheTime Apr 24, 2019

Perhaps we should send up the Bat Signal for @Dre to chime in with his two cents, as he just "landed" an original engraved version...?

11. Mazoue Apr 24, 2019

There are lot of similarities between this watch and the first gold SAS that he landed (not the Polarouter De Luxe) albeit the standard of engraving here seems to be much lower.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 24, 2019

I’m thinking legit, but someone added the engraving later, after removing the normal logo.

Looks like a family crest or some organization. Either Swiss or catholic is my guess.

13. Mazoue Apr 24, 2019

The fact that it’s a legit late Polerouter is not disputed (my original post had a picture of another example with a standard dial).

The engraving is the Scandinavian Airlines emblem. We’ve seen it on other gold Polerouters that were made for the US market (as well as the spectacular early SAS Polarouter De Luxe models).

The question is whether this watch has had the engraving added more recently in order to deceive or whether it was created for a US based SAS employee in the late 60s/70s.

The consensus seems to be that it’s a fake because the engraving is poor but I know that not everyone agrees with that viewpoint.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. rolokr Apr 24, 2019

Looks like a custom deal by an engraver, hard to believe its done by UG !

Diabolik likes this.
  15. 77deluxe Apr 24, 2019

Someone spent some time on it.

16. Mazoue Apr 25, 2019

If it were legit, would that not have been the case?

SAS could have simply bought the latest Polerouter model in gold that was available locally in the US market and then got it engraved locally with the SAS logo.

17. Vitezi Apr 25, 2019

The discovery of that other late-model SAS Polerouter by @Dre ...
    (described here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/polerouter-sas.39910/)
    [​IMG]

...lends credence to the theory that SAS might have commissioned these as presentation watches. Can anyone tell if both watches were produced about the same time?

Edited Apr 25, 2019
  18. Mazoue Apr 25, 2019

And this one too (I know that it was not universally accepted as being legit before anyone gets too excited).

One similarity between Dre's watch above and the one below, is that the text was moved from its usual position on the dial (and not just removed) in order to fit the engraving in the top half of the dial. In my opinion, this makes it much more likely that these watches were genuine.

This latest version has simply had text removed.

DSCF2049.jpg

19. Diabolik Apr 25, 2019

The movement is a 2-66 caliber. It was shown at the Geneva watch fair in 1972 and used on a number of models from 1974 until approximately 2001. By the time that watch was produced, there would have been far better machinery and techniques for engraving dials. Judging by irregularities, mistakes and differences in the engraving that can be seen, I would conclude that the dial was engraved by hand and not by an experienced one come to that. It probably looks nice from a distance, without magnification but it is completely out of place in terms of chronology, style of font on dial, quality (non existent) and model.

upload_2019-4-25_13-23-12.png

Bottom line is that it is a 70s (not 60s) polerouter that would be worth more if it had not been butchered!

20. Mazoue Apr 25, 2019

As I noted above, the movement is a Cal 72. It has the date and weekday indicator. I'm not sure the Cal 66 was ever used in the Polerouter range.

I agree that the engraving has been done by hand and that it is not of high quality.

Could you explain what you mean by "it is completely out of place in terms of chronology, style of font on dial . . . and model"?

If there was a practice of buying and engraving gold Polerouters for SAS employees in the US extending into the 60s and 70s, why would this not fit?