Forums Latest Members
  1. Dre May 12, 2016

I got offered this watch the other day. Not my area of expertise but all the SAS watches that I've seen normally are PolArouter and made in the early 50s.

The UG logo is the later one and case back looks a bit weird as well. Can other comment on this please?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. ELV web May 12, 2016

@styggpyggeno1
    I believe OF respectable member has the genuine article....

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids May 12, 2016

Yeah. Highly skeptical, considering the history of the SAS model. None of it seems correct.

4. Dre May 12, 2016

Yes his version is the PolArouter ones and it's a de luxe too!

I know! The watch is definitely not from the early 50s but what I'm trying to find is whether these watches are still being given or issued to SAS in the 60s. Seems like so much effort has been put there if the logo was added later by someone else.

Can anyone post their 1-69 calibre as well as a comparison? Crown looks period correct for me.

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 12, 2016

Odd looking watch. I really don't know if there were later SAS issued versions.

Caseback and hallmark look to be US made.

Logo seems to be later 1960's style. Do the serial numbers match up to that time period?

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to counterfeit that intricate of an engraving, but who knows? Stranger things have happened.

More research is needed.
    gatorcpa

TinyClown likes this.
  6. Jonatan May 12, 2016

Edited May 12, 2016
  7. Vitezi May 12, 2016

Dre likes this.
  8. Dre May 12, 2016

Neither do I and yes logo is 1960s style, though as quoted in polerouter.de

"In the 1950's and 60's Universal Genève was the official "timer" on all Royal Viking flights of SAS. This fact was advertised by both parties. The symbolic globe with a flag at the North Pole and the sketched polar-route (see last figure of this page) was modified by Universal Genève an engraved in the steel backs of every "classical" Microtor-Polerouter. In addition the versions delivered to the SAS-Crews were decorated with the SAS logo printed on the dial."

Serial number has been polished off.

Another examples of 1-69 with the same case

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/151752707328Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

https://itsawindup.com/watches/sold...-aut0-date-14k-gold-filed-vintage-gents-watch
    [​IMG]

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=7267261&rid=0
    [​IMG]

Though none of them seems to be 18k, better case for the SAS version?

ELV web likes this.
  9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 12, 2016

I have never seen another one like it. But that does not make it fake. There are a lot of things I have not seen...

It would be nice to get a close up of the SAS logo.

The probability of someone going thru the trouble of fake engraving one of these is low - in my opinion. I am with Gatorcpa here - "Seems like an awful lot of trouble to counterfeit that intricate of an engraving,..."
    And I also agree on his - "but who knows".

I would not buy it without either seeing it live or getting really good detailed pictures - if not being cheap (normal Polerouter money or a bit more).
    If I got to see it live or get very good photos - and if the logo looked genuine and the rest of the text bits and fonts were OK I would go for it. Even at a price.

10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids May 12, 2016

I agree that it would be a lot of trouble for a faked engraving. :thumbsdown:

11. Selbo May 12, 2016

Does the seller have any history of the watch? At first glance, it makes me want to say "no way" but that engraving looks very solid from the pictures provided. I know others have had success reaching out directly to UG. Most of the knowledgeable folks at UG are long gone but they have to maintain records for the SAS production models, right? It's definitely worth pursuing.

12. Dre May 13, 2016

I'm waiting for more information about this, this photo is the best I could get from the seller from the time being. Please chime in on the originality of the dial such as font or logo, the pointed A would worry me on early Polerouter but it seems to be correct for this period.

image.jpeg

ELV web and Ko1892 like this.
  13. Jonatan May 22, 2016

Any development?

Edited May 22, 2016
  14. Dre May 22, 2016

This is the latest photo from the seller. Though there aren't that many information out there, but after a further research, I think the watch is legit.

Let's hear what everyone thinks of it!

image.jpeg

Ko1892 and ELV web like this.
  15. Dre May 29, 2016

It's here! This watch is just stunning! Definitely a solid gold judging from the weight and looks!

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

The SAS logo is etched to the dial, the dial is 100% original for me.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Original crystal, period correct U shape logo is present, cyclops looks good too!

image.jpeg

You can see the shadow of the UG logo on the crystal. The dial looks a bit like linen dial too!

image.jpeg

Numbers on the case back is apparently there, seller photo didn't do justice!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Would love to hear what you guys think of it! For me, it's 100% authentic. The first SAS issued Pol(E)router that has surfaced!

noelekal, x3no, ahartfie and 13 others like this.
  16. Jonatan May 30, 2016

I do agree that everything looks legit on it and I can't see someone going through the trouble of carving a SAS logo to copy such a dial.

Beautiful watch and I am jealous and envious! In other words DIBS!

17. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 30, 2016

I believe you scored!

It says "18 KARAT GOLD" - gold being written in English. Karat is the way we spell in Swedish. Is Karat used in more languages?

How does the hallmarks look?

18. Dre May 30, 2016

Even if someone went through that much trouble to carved, it means that the whole dial would've been repainted too because the 'Universal Geneve' and 'Polerouter Date' meant to be on the upper side of the dial.

Glad that it all worked out well. The whole discussion with the seller itself took 3 weeks, before I can even pay for the watch. Started from terrible photo, to another unfocused photos. When I finally convinced that the watch is alright, and after asking for better photos for about 3 times, the seller won't ship overseas.

The seller wasn't even keen on getting the watch shipped locally, as she asked me if I can get someone to pick it up! Long story short, and after a few late night call to the US from Oz, she agreed to ship it to a US address. Then the payment problem took another week to solved because she only wanted a bank cheque!

I suggested to her to ask someone else if a PayPal account can be setup, and finally they got the money a week later. They don't even have an internet banking so they have to go to the bank to see that the money from PayPal has been received! Parcel took a few days to arrived in the destination US address, from there I made sure the parcel got sent by the quickest shipping method possible last Friday, and it arrived this Monday morning!

What a mission but it was worth it! I was anxious the whole time of someone else snatching it!

19. Dre May 30, 2016

I know that Karat is Indonesian too :D

I was told by a few people that the case is a US made case, as the other gold cases Polerouter from this period. I actually never realized that there were this kind of cases in Polerouter, I'm not familiar with the later Polerouters. I don't think there's any other marks around but I'll check it out later again with the loupe.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edit: more information about 'Karat' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fineness#Carat

Edited May 30, 2016
  20. wristpirate May 30, 2016

Great looking watch. And great amount of perseverance in getting that piece! Well done

Oh yeh Dibs +1

Dre likes this.