Forums Latest Members

Hidden gems from the NASA photo archive

1. panic k. Jun 19, 2017

this thread is not helping my itch to get a speedmaster :)
    great photos, i will print them all all the day i order the speedmaster!

2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 24, 2017

Apollo 7 ( October 1968 ) and ASTP ( July 1975 ) remain my favorite "Speedy" missions, lots of the astronauts were wearing a pair of speedmaster chronographs on long white velcro straps...
    ;)
    Apollo_Speedmaster.jpg
    USAF test pilot & Apollo 7 CMP - Command Module PIlot Donn Fulton Eisele seen here wearing a pair of Omega Speedmaster 105.012 chronographs... Note the one on his right arm is upside down !

Emeister, Lou P, GregH and 1 other person like this.
  3. mikesspeedy Jun 30, 2017

Can anyone advise when was the last mission the basic speedy manual wind moon watch was flown in space? I assume a Soyuz ferry flight? but which one was the last or are they still flight worn?

4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 30, 2017

The Omega Speedmaster is still regularly flight worn but the X-33 is the Omega watch mostly used onboard the ISS.
    Curiously during the last Soyuz ferry flight, Soyuz MS04 in April 2017, none of the astronauts was wearing a watch !
    Here You can clearly see a Speedy in action: at 11:38 on the left hand of the commander...
    :cool:

5. mikesspeedy Jun 30, 2017

Cheers speedyphil. So the Omega Speedmaster manual wind Moonwatch is still space flight worn, absolutely amazing! A watch first issued in 1957 for racing drivers NOT EVEN DESIGNED FOR SPACE is still used 50 years later! with mods I agree but no complete redesign.

(I hope the NASA guys don't mind) but the Engineers at Omega must be "Steely eyed missile men". One complete saved crew of Apollo 13. and out lived all the space vehicles including mercury, Gemini, Apollo, space shuttle. An Item not designed for Space has been on almost every space flight since Mercury 7 in 1962 and out lasted almost every device designed specifically for space.

HOW the hell is that even possible?

Edited Jun 30, 2017
  6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 30, 2017

I think of it as a blunt instrument. A beautiful, blunt instrument. :)

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  7. kkt Jun 30, 2017

A chronograph is an excellent general-purpose tool!

I wonder if Apollo 13 would really have been lost without a watch. They still had their radios working and it wasn't so critical what instant they started the burn. Maybe Mission Control could have counted out the seconds for the astronauts.

They probably all carried their cell phones with them ;)

BrianMcKay and SpeedyPhill like this.
  8. mikesspeedy Jun 30, 2017

KKT I think the signal time delay would have precluded MC from calling out the count. I think it was a second or two delay. But I take your point I am sure they would have had other options IF the speedy let them down. But it didn't. I like that they trusted the watch with their lives and it delivered.

I chalk this one up to the speedy (I am sure the astronaut core did too, Snoopy award).

Edited Jul 1, 2017
  9. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 1, 2017

mikesspeedy likes this.
  10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 3, 2017

Gotta love Apollo 7 Speedies on long white velcro ;)
    1968_Apollo_Speedy.jpg

BrianMcKay, TJH and GregH like this.
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 9, 2017

In earlier posts we have shown the Breitling Navitimer-Cosmonaut worn by astronaut Scott Carpenter during the Aurora 7 mission in May 1962.
    Here's another great color photo which clearly shows the Breitling Navitimer-Cosmonaut chronograph with 24 Hrs dial at the corner of the table. It became the first chronograph to fly in space...
    :rolleyes:
    MA7_Breitling.jpg

whyboddau and BrianMcKay like this.
  12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 9, 2017

In 2009, Belgian astronaut Frank De Winne became the first ESA - European Space Agency astronaut to command the International Space Station ISS, during his long-duration ISS 21 expedition.
    Here he's seen wearing the Omega X-33 Speedmaster Professional chronograph together with a small Acti-watch, developed by Cambridge Neurotechnology Ltd GB.
    The Acti-watch is a waterproof, nonintrusive, sleep-wake activity monitor worn on the wrist of a crew member. The device contains a miniature uniaxial accelerometer that produces a signal as the subject moves. The data are stored in nonvolatile memory within the Acti-watch until they are downloaded for analysis...
    iss021e028096_ActiWatch.jpg

13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 11, 2017

#SpeedyTuesday a relaxed Neil Armstrong wearing an Omega Speedmaster in preparation of the historic Apollo 11 Moon landing mission... July 1969

Armstrong Speedmaster.jpg
  14. Wryfox Jul 13, 2017

15. TLIGuy Jul 13, 2017

Here's an auction coming up with Buzz Aldrin's Speedmaster.:thumbsup:

BrianMcKay likes this.
  16. sarir97 Jul 13, 2017

Not quite... this is just a "modern" Speedmaster with Buzz's signature on the presentation box.

TLIGuy likes this.
  17. TLIGuy Jul 13, 2017

My bad. I thought they recovered his lost one and they were selling it. I'm not well versed in the NASA Speedmasters.

18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 13, 2017

To think : his actual speedy is still out there...and either the somebody who has it knows this, or doesn't! What's the chance that it could be found/traced? NASA made special engravings on the exterior...did they also record the movement serial number?

Scarecrow Boat and SpeedyPhill like this.
  19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 14, 2017

Entrees in the NASA-NASM listing were:
    Aldrin Gemini XII none with SEB12100039-001
    Aldrin Apollo XI 145.012 ? with none
    Of course the latter probably was a 105.012 and we'll have to wait for the full update NASA-NASM-Omega is currently working on:
    https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/omega.html
    ;)

20. sarir97 Jul 14, 2017

Whoever has it knows exactly what it is and what it's worth. Maybe it's Buzz himself and this is all one big conspiracy.