Forums Latest Members

Hidden gems from the NASA photo archive

1. Wryfox Jul 14, 2017

Conspiracy theorists unite!

This has crossed my mind, because Buzz was in possession of his watch at the time. Perhaps he didn't want to say no to the Smithsonian (and suffer the bad press that would inevitably follow), or perhaps something else was afoot. The story always goes...'sometime in the early 70s Buzz send his watch to the Smithsonian and it was lost'. Well by 1971 he had already left NASA and was declining into alcoholism. Perhaps he just wanted to keep it...it was probably the most valuable (and portable) thing he owned, and with divorce looming, what better way to hide a valuable asset than to 'lose it'?

BrianMcKay and sarir97 like this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 14, 2017

This too crossed my mind...

sarir97 likes this.
  3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 14, 2017

4. sarir97 Jul 14, 2017

"In early April 2017, we were reliably informed that table contains errors and were asked to remove it"

Who informed? Who's more reliable that NASA's own records?

5. BrianMcKay Jul 14, 2017

That's untrue.

And I note that Omega wristwatches on the moon popped off their goofy plastic domes and became jammed with lunar dust.

And I note that astronauts preferred Rolex-, Bulova-, and Breitling-brand wristwatches including those that could be set to two time zones.

6. mikesspeedy Jul 15, 2017

I love a conspiracy, go on speculate... I would have faked the whole posing thing and kept the watch in a deposit box along with the little bit of moon rock I kept hold of. I'm just not the kind of guy to let go of something like that. I would lie, cheat, beg, steal to keep that watch. I hope Buz has it squirreled away somewhere. Who could blame him?

sarir97 likes this.
  7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 15, 2017

Gemini IV footage
    2:42
    Edward White with clearly 2 Omega Speedmaster 105.003-64 on his left arm
    3:44 McDivitt with both Omega Speedmaster chronographs going for a dip in the North Atlantic Ocean

mikesspeedy and Silver Bullet like this.
  8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 17, 2017

48 years Apollo 11 was on its way to the Moon ...
    [​IMG]

sarir97 and GregH like this.
  9. kleungsf Aug 7, 2017

Wonder which playboy playmate photo made it to the moon?

Jones in LA likes this.
  10. TLIGuy Aug 7, 2017

The Playmates were Miss September and Miss October 1967. Their names were Angela Dorian and Reagan Wilson.

11. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 8, 2017

I knew you'd know!

I have another question @TLIGuy : I watched the documentary "Last Man on the Moon" the other day [available on Netflix] for only the second time -- and this was the first time that I'd watched it after gaining an appreciation for Speedmasters. I was blown away by the abundance of Speedies -- nearly one in every scene! But here's my question: in the modern-day interviews with Gene Cernan sometimes he's wearing an X-33, and sometimes a gold chronograph with black dial & bezel. The gold chronograph has me stumped -- it looks large-ish, like maybe a modern-day cal. 9300 Speedy. What do you think it was?

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  12. TLIGuy Aug 8, 2017

It was a Broad Arrow rose gold and stainless steel Speedmaster.

cernan.jpg

zhark, SamQue, duc and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 8, 2017

Sergio and Rory doing their best Alan Shepard impression

[2017 PGA Championship]

07.08.2017_PGA_Charlotte_04.jpg
    image credit: www.omegawatches.com

mhsvz, duc, TLIGuy and 1 other person like this.
  14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 12, 2017

Doesn't always have to be manned spaceflight photos...
    August 1979, ABC news reporter Jules Bergman, who covered NASA's manned space programs, awaits data in NASA Ames' newsroom as Pioneer 11 passed by the planet Saturn and its ring system. Bergman seems to be wearing an Omega Speedmaster 145.012-67 chronograph
    1979_Speedmaster_Ames.jpg

duc, Jones in LA, AAAKK and 1 other person like this.
  15. TLIGuy Aug 12, 2017

Nice find. It appears that the reporters covering the space program at that time were wannabe astronauts as well. At least Jules Bergman kicks up his game by adding the calendar to his Speedmaster bracelet.

Here is space fan Walter Cronkite wearing his Speedmaster.

IMG_0560.JPG

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 15, 2017

Interesting stuff I have included in my lecture on "Spacefarers' wristwatches"...
    About Aldrin's 105.012-65 Apollo 11 Moonwatch, all we can say is... " Cerca Trova " :cautious:

More soon in the separate topic entitled " New reveals about the NASA space program watch choice " ... as we can't wait until 2019 to bring out great photos & facts... :whistling:

17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 18, 2017

[QUOTE="
    Who informed? Who's more reliable that NASA's own records?[/QUOTE]
    Let's see :thumbsdown:
    You don't need a PhD to make a spreadsheet with the 6 Mercury missions, the 10 Gemini missions and the 12 Apollo missions listing each crewmember...
    Check Your collection NASA photos, freely acquired between 1972 and 1992 (the pre-internet era), showing suit up procedures & mission scenes to check for watches in order to fill the spreadsheet with data on Speedmaster chronographs and additional watches taken up by each individual astronaut...
    Done with that?
    Repeat for the 3 Skylab missions, ASTP and the first 24 STS space shuttle missions :thumbsup: ...
    That's how easy it can be, it ain't rocket science :whistling:

18. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 21, 2017

Former NASA astronaut Mike Massimino participates in a panel discussion titled The Big Picture, Saturday, Aug. 5, 2017 at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City.

36267250731_e5237c9e26_k.jpg
    Photo Credit: (NASA/Bill Ingalls)

SpeedyPhill and TLIGuy like this.
  19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 28, 2017

August is always Apollo 15 month...
    Note that Apollo 15 commander David Scott wore his gold Apollo tribute #16 Speedmaster chronograph at the post-mission press conference. The blood underneath his fingernails was caused by the heavy drill used to put deep-drill core tube in the lunar surface, which had to be hammered in to a depth of 70 cm... As always, more at https://moonwatchuniverse.tumblr.com/archive
    ;)
    1971_AS15-ScottGold.jpg

zhark likes this.
  20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 3, 2017

TJH likes this.