Hi there for a Newbie

Hello all and happy new year.

I'm looking for some help to find a repuatble repairer to service my late Grandfathers 1954 Seamaster Callendar. Preferably in the South East Surrey area, but any suggestions welcome.

S1050035-1.JPG

It just wants a service and a new crystal as I can't gett all the scratches out of it.

Thanks

Mike

Hmm, though its not the cheapest option, have you considered shipping it back to Omega SA service center in Bienne Switzerland? Normally I'd just go to a local repairer, but Bienne have a reputation for excellence that may be appropriate for a watch with a significant family connection to it. They will be able to do some very nice work with the case as well.

Hmm, though its not the cheapest option, have you considered shipping it back to Omega SA service center in Bienne Switzerland? Normally I'd just go to a local repairer, but Bienne have a reputation for excellence that may be appropriate for a watch with a significant family connection to it. They will be able to do some very nice work with the case as well.

dsio

When sending a watch to Omega Switzerland for repair, are we allowed to request that certain parts of the watch, not be replaced, for example: dial, hands, winding-crown and back-cover, etc, though they may not be in the best condition? Of course, we will be happy, if they change any worn-out parts of the movement.

Omega should always respect your instructions, on receiving the watch they should notify you with a quote, and you can request specific work from there. They will never force you to have anything done, though they may turn down the service in unreasonable cases, such as if you requested a partial repair of a movement in need of servicing.

Omega should always respect your instructions, on receiving the watch they should notify you with a quote, and you can request specific work from there. They will never force you to have anything done, though they may turn down the service in unreasonable cases, such as if you requested a partial repair of a movement in need of servicing.

dsio

Thanks for your response.

If the watch requires servicing or repair, they can change any part, they so wish. This is only fair and in the long run, better for the watch. As long as the basic factory-original characteristic of the watch remains unchanged, I reckon all vintage-watch lovers will be happy.

Don't send it back to Omega - it'll cost more than the watch is worth. That's a reference 2627 with either a caliber 353 or 355 bumper, and it looks like a very nice one with the original crown too. The fact that it's an heirloom makes it an excellent piece.

I use Jesse Hueg. He's a miracle worker on stainless cases:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/definitive-proof-of-why-you-need-to-find-a-good-watchmaker.204/

Not only is he fantastic, his prices are very reasonable - too cheap for the quality of work he does (but don't tell him that!). Here's his website:

http://jhfinewatches.com/

If you have any trouble contacting him, he goes by omega564 on the forums and you can send him a message. I find the telephone is the best way to get in touch with him.

Good luck! That's a great watch and one of my favorite styles from the 50's.

Only thing is are there any customs issues with Omega sending to the USA, I know with Rolex they intercept them at the border?

Only thing is are there any customs issues with Omega sending to the USA, I know with Rolex they intercept them at the border?
Actually just looking that up, it looks like Rolex are the only ones using trademark law like that to limit imports.

http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/rolex_faqs.html

Hi, have you tried the 'Watch Doctors' ? .They are in Hertfordshire, also 'ryte timewatch repairs' who are in Leicester.
Both are Members of British Horological Institute.

The company we use for vintage Omega repairs is Swiss Time Services in Essex - they're approved by Omega for repairs of vintage watches. They've just done a beautiful service on a pre-Moon (c. 1963) Speedmaster, did a very nice job indeed. Highly recommended

The company we use for vintage Omega repairs is Swiss Time Services in Essex - they're approved by Omega for repairs of vintage watches. They've just done a beautiful service on a pre-Moon (c. 1963) Speedmaster, did a very nice job indeed. Highly recommended
Don't spose you've got pics of the '63 speedy, love them to bits

Don't spose you've got pics of the '63 speedy, love them to bits

Sadly not, but it looked stunning when it came back. The owner pops in fairly regularly, I'll ask him the next time he's in, he's also got a killer Red 1680 👍

thanks all for the relies.

It's a 2627 case with a 355 bumper inside. I don't think it has ever had a service as it still has the lead case back seal!

I think I've found a guy up near Carslile (http://www.genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/) who is going to look at it for me. I've had loads of positives about his work from the TZ-UK forum.

I'm noting going to have the case refinished I like the battle scars, they remind me of the time it spent on my Grandfathers wrist! I've also got a nice brown calfskin strap for it which looks great

watch2.jpg

Well, she arrived back from Duncan at Genesis this morning, just over two week turnaround 😀.

I can thoroughly recommend Duncan and his services, great communication through out, including sending pictures throughout. And very very reasonable prices. I'm a very happy customer.

watch2.jpg

Well, she arrived back from Duncan at Genesis this morning, just over two week turnaround 😀.

I can thoroughly recommend Duncan and his services, great communication through out, including sending pictures throughout. And very very reasonable prices. I'm a very happy customer.
You have some closeups? Nice pouch he returned it in too