Forums Latest Members

Definitive proof of why you need to find a good watchmaker.

1. ulackfocus Sep 27, 2011

Here are the before shots showing the dings and scratches, each one immediately followed by the corresponding after shot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any arguments?

.... and now for the wrist shot:

[​IMG]

ralpher, oddboy, Mothra and 3 others like this.
  2. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Sep 27, 2011

A very nice refurb job - looks great!

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2011

I really need to find myself a quality indy watchmaker in Brisbane, I've had my Submariner restored by Brisbane Vintage Watches but it cost an absolute fortune in parts and labour.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full movement rebuild with around 50% part replacement, all NOS no recycled bits. Correct tritium pearl reinstalled, fine cleaning with no polishing.

Mothra likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2011

As it went in, the crown and stem had fallen out due to the thread on the stem corroding, the watch was losing half an hour a day, and auto winding had failed completely.

Since coming back, +1s/day constant.

5. ulackfocus Sep 27, 2011

Ashley, the Rolex guys would go nuts for that watch. Original dial/hands/bezel is something they dream of. Whatever you spent on the restoration you'd get back in spades if you sold it.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 27, 2011

Total restoration cost was over $3,000 AUD =\

Specifically: $1k for a NOS 93150 bracelet $1750 for a complete rebuild of a badly corroded / moisture and debris damaged movement using all NOS genuine parts, $250 for a genuine tritium pearl.

I could have used a datejust as a "donor watch" to rebuild the movement more cheaply but I wanted the original movement and no old or franken parts, so it cost a lot. Never leave a watch 32 years before its first service, especially when its been used to death as a tool watch.

DLT222 likes this.
  7. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Nov 13, 2014

What is a "tool watch?" Is it one that has been used as a hammer?

Nobel Prize and UncleBuck like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 13, 2014

A tool watch is a watch that is worn day to day for work, sports, recreation, etc.. Consequently it receives more the its fair share of bangs, bumps, scratches, dings, slams and just plain abuse.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 13, 2014

.....and as saw, scissors, spoon, fork, tape measure, chisel, steak knife, bottle opener, USB drive, etc. I suggest don't bother look other than Victorinox brand.

10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 13, 2014

I took my vintage Connie cal. 354 in for a service recently. It was my first time to service a watch! The watchmaker offered to 'clean up the case', but after reading horror stories where they 'over-refinished' a watch, I decided to tell him I only wanted a 'movement' service and nothing else. That is exactly what he did, but it does have fine scratches on the SS. After seeing the OP's beautiful watch, I'm wondering if I was being overly conservative.

What should you tell a watchmaker when they offer to 'clean it up'?

11. alam Nov 13, 2014

I don't need the proof! I just need to find a GWM! :)

12. repoman Nov 13, 2014

very impressive

13. Spike Nov 14, 2014

That's exactly the question that I've wanted to know ever since I took my 'Connie' in for a complete movement strip down & service.

I'd read on the forum not to get the case polished so when the WM offered to clean up the case/lugs etc I politely declined and told him I didn't want the case touched............now after seeing this one of Dennis's, I'm wondering was that foolish not to have it spruced up a bit?? It's in great condition (I think) but that would have improved it even more...or not?!

Constellation on bor.jpg

14. ulackfocus Nov 14, 2014

The key is finding a watchmaker who is skilled at leaving the edges as crisp as possible yet taking out the imperfections (dings, scratches, etc.). The watch above isn't particularly rare or valuable so I figured why not?

STANDY, Spike and Northernman like this.
  15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 14, 2014

I would leave your constellation the way it is - an unpolished watch can always be polished later while a polish cannot be undone. I personally prefer my watches with scratches, bumps while maintaining the sharp edges and beefiness of the original case.

16. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Nov 14, 2014

Dennis, Can you please let us know who is the watchmaker?