91 | 1000
    "Arrow"
    61 / 162

22320caa-e9c2-4a89-a593-3ec206398ff2.JPG

KevinB likes this.
  2. KevinB Jul 2, 2019

Been wearing this a lot lately :)

[​IMG]

Speedmasterfan88, shishy and DaveK like this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 2, 2019

Do these awesome straps grow on trees in your backyard?

4. KevinB Jul 2, 2019

Thanks! They are JPM straps :)

5. yande Jul 4, 2019

Lovely pieces, thanks for sharing. Could someone explain to me the use for the three lines at the 3, 6, and 9, on what I presume is the minute register at 3 o'clock,on others but specifically the Pontiac. Something to do with flying..

6. KevinB Jul 4, 2019

Nothing to do with flying but something with phone calls getting more expensive after 3-6-9 minutes.

7. Professor Jul 4, 2019

It always amazes me that we had Supersonic and even hypersonic aircraft long before the Quartz and digital watches were invented, or at least commonplace.

I remember a TV show set in the late 60's to early 70's and a guy showing off his new pocket radio phone. It was the size of a tennis shoe and he proudly claimed it had a range of over three miles.

I have a personal computer and mobile phone that belonged to a relative that used it as a journalist in the 80's-90's. The PC is a Tandy, possibly the first laptop. The phone is mounted in a small suitcase with a whip antenna.
    The PC was used as a word processor and the stories were transmitted from the scene to the news paper using the phone.
    Collectors items only these days.
    The Tandy does still have its OS floppy in the slot. if i could figure out a way to recharge or replace its batteries I'd make a stab at booting it up. It probably has less memory than a house cat.

DaveK likes this.
  8. KevinB Jul 7, 2019

Little get-together

[​IMG]

9. yande Jul 25, 2019

It seems no one knows. I have been asking this question for around 10 years...

10. JimJupiter Jul 25, 2019

From this watchuseek thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/th...ntage-pilots-chronograph-subdials-239657.html

"With regard to the A7 in the link above, anyway, I tend to agree with HappyJack - in aviation as well as nautical navigation - the pilot / navigator is always interested in distance per hour or distance per minute or multiples thereof - everything hinges on fractions or multiples of 60 - including position over the earth ( minutes and seconds of arc ).

A useful aviation time piece, especially one from the days when practical dead reckoning was employed, might reasonably be expected to highlight fractions of the 60 as a whole - hence the 30 minute sub-dial and highlights of tenths of that ( 3, 6, 9 etc ).

Knowing groundspeed and direction, one might plot position at 1/10 of an hour intervals on a chart. Easier to do when this time segment is highlighted on whatever you are using to time the leg.

I think the above is probably separate to the elongated 3 minute interval marks found on other chronographs such as the Benrus Skychief etc, but for those involved in aviation and navigation, working in multiples or fractions of 60 rather than 100, is just natural and normal, and will therefore be at the fore of the mind when looking at features like this on any watch designed for aviation / navigational use.

So in a way - it is almost certainly done for legibility, but I agree with happyJack that what lies behind this might well have its routes in dead reckoning navigation."

yande and KingCrouchy like this.
  11. MRC Jul 25, 2019

Mark020 likes this.
  12. JimJupiter Jul 25, 2019

That’s true, but these watches were just aviation watches back than, issued just to pilots. I don’t think some of them extra lumed the markers to know when to end the call with mummy :D

13. yande Jul 26, 2019

I am old enough to still remember the 3 minute bips.. Also ""connecting now - please hold.." Back in the day, we used to be able the mimic the "insert coins now' by way of using a paddle pop stick. I still remember her, the recipient of such calls, young and buxom.. . A wayward youth, I'll admit... Thanks Mr. Jupiter for your reply!

JimJupiter likes this.
  14. KevinB Jul 26, 2019

Do a quick google image search for vintage chronographs and you will see it was done on almost all of them, definitely not something reserved for pilot watches.

It's about the phone calls not aviation ;)

15. JimJupiter Jul 26, 2019

@yande asked specifically about the 3-6-9 markers on the Pontiac. Of course on "normal" chronos it was used for the telephon thing, I think that something we all know. But on issued chronos to pilots there is a second function, which why the 3-6-9 markers are also often lumed, not by factory, but from the pilots. Or by factory like on this Breguet: Breguet-Type-20-Aeronavale-Sotheby-1960s.jpg

16. KevinB Jul 26, 2019

Do you have an example of this?

In my opinion the Pontiac was just a civilian design which they converted for military use, it's not a purposefully designed pilot watch like the Tutima Urofa 59 or the Type XX that followed it.

17. KevinB Jul 27, 2019

Every Pontiac chrono from that era has those markings, not only the mil issued ones :

[​IMG]

18. JimJupiter Jul 28, 2019

I think there is something lost in translation here,..sorry for that, english is not my native language. I just wanted to say, that these markings also had a different meaning for pilots. They used it for navigation, explanation above. I have an Auricoste at my watchmaker with the hand lumed 3 min markers. Will provide pics when back in my hands.

19. KevinB Jul 28, 2019

Oh ok no problem, also not my native language so I guess you're right.

Very curious about that Auricoste!

JimJupiter likes this.
  20. yande Jul 28, 2019

Thanks for the info guys. We've a pretty good mobile plan so don't bother with the bips, or even landline anymore.. Intesting observation.. Jim and Kevin, both not native English speakers. With names like that, seems I thought wrong.. To be clear, great respect for your language skills, my Chinese is shocking.