Forums Latest Members

Here is the Seamaster I inherited

1. Donn Chambers Mar 20, 2023

One other thing -- since you plan to take it into a jeweler to get the bracelet adjusted, I would take it to a place that can also replace the battery and do a pressure test on the watch to make sure it is still water tight. They'll probably also run the bracelet through an ultrasonic wash to get all the dirt and grime out of it. You'd be shocked at the amount that is in there after several decades of wear!

Also make sure the tech working on the bracelet realizes there are pins and collars -- these are a bear to get out and if they think they are friction pins they may use the wrong tools and damage the pin. They also need to be careful to not loose the collars. This is definitely not a bracelet to work on without the proper tools and some experience -- trust me, because I tried back in the day and bent a pin AND lost the collars. Luckily, I realized what I'd done and had extra links that I could get the appropriate parts from.

2. hoshimachi Mar 20, 2023

A sort-of related question.
    Doesn't omega replace old quartz movements? Would it be wise to do so if given the opportunity?
    I know that is unheard-of for mechanical watches, but I wonder if things are different for quartz.

Ohio Painter likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 20, 2023

Not completely true. There were very early examples of the SMP which had non chronometer rated Auto movements and had the 3 lines of text as shown above, not certain if these included white dials but there are certainly blue dials out there. However, the date window placement is noticeably different on the 1538 quartz and 1108 Auto movements so this one is indeed a quartz watch. The window is much closer to the centre in on the 1538 than 1108/1120.

4. imranbecks Mar 21, 2023

Ohio Painter likes this.
  5. Magnus Rossa Mar 23, 2023

Nice!

Ohio Painter likes this.
  6. Ohio Painter Mar 25, 2023

26D82738-6A59-427F-98C3-7D5AB99B45CE.jpeg Today my jeweler resized the strap, now the watch fits perfect. I asked about a battery and he said it is automatic, no battery. He then said if it is running fine then to leave it alone. Anyway, it is nice to be wearing it.

7. Dan S Mar 26, 2023

So the second hand sweeps smoothly, as opposed to ticking second by second?

ErichPryde likes this.
  8. ErichPryde Mar 26, 2023

Assuming this sentence is correct:

When I acquired the watch about a month ago it had not been worn for two years, it was running but the time was wrong.

The most likely scenario is quartz with dying battery, as many have stated. But if his jeweler is correct... either the OP is mis-remembering or we have a mystery of time on our hands.

::popcorn::

@Ohio Painter did Your Jeweler remove the case back and actually look at the movement and service the watch, or is all they did resize the bracelet for you?

Beautiful piece, btw!

9. Donn Chambers Mar 26, 2023

My guess is the jeweler is not familiar with Omega watches and just assumed they are all mechanical.

ErichPryde likes this.
  10. ErichPryde Mar 26, 2023

Agreed...

11. Ohio Painter Mar 26, 2023

They resized the bracelet. I asked about the battery and that was when it was mentioned.
    It has been keeping good time since last adjustment. As it is 30 years old I will plan on getting it serviced at an Omega service approved jeweler later this year.
    I appreciate all the help.

12. pbook4g5 Mar 26, 2023

Where’d you end up taking it? James Free?

13. Ohio Painter Mar 26, 2023

No, I took it to a local jeweler who I have been loyal to for the last 30 years. For service I have a James Free not too far away. Is James Free recommended here?

14. pbook4g5 Mar 26, 2023

James Free is an authorized dealer for Omega and can facilitate service. They’ve never done me wrong, but they also don’t work on too much in their shop anymore.

Ohio Painter likes this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 27, 2023

Note every photo of this watch has the second hand bang on the index. That is unlikely with an auto SMP as there are 8 options for the hands location between the indices. The ‘jeweller’ was presumably not all that savvy.

EauTerre and Ohio Painter like this.
  16. kgb Mar 27, 2023

I personally don't think leather straps look right on a dive watch. However there is a world of rubber, silicone, sailcloth, etc that will look fantastic on this.

Ohio Painter likes this.
  17. hen Mar 28, 2023

True, the SMP is the dressiest of divers, especially the white ones, so you can really do what ever you want. Black leather strap, white NATO or white rubber strap. But I highly recommend a deployant clasp. Have fun!

Ohio Painter likes this.