Help with this one? CK 2173?

Hello - first time caller, long time listener. I’ve read these pages for years but have never joined because I haven’t had anything to add or ask. For whatever reason I have found myself drawn to vintage Omegas the last couple of years of my long watch journey and have been trying to dip my toes into the sea of knowledge.

I wonder what you all (on this wonderful forum) think of this one:

IMG_1001.jpeg IMG_1002.jpeg IMG_1003.jpeg IMG_1004.jpeg IMG_1005.jpeg

It is for sale on a Japanese site for about $2,500.00

Thank you for any advice/information.

Kind regards

`Ω≈
As fake as one can possibly fake a watch.
There is absolutly nothing 'Omega' about this watch. Everything is wrong.

You did read the pinned Learn How to Fish post? https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Hi - thank you so much.

Yes I have read that. I focused on the “M” on the movement, the printing on the dial, the use of the “Non Magnetic” (comparing it to other examples) and its font, the case shape and size, the crown shape and size, the use of a copper dial, the color of the seconds hand, and the color and degradation of the lume. Maybe I’m missing the forest through the trees?

We both may be lost in the forest.

The dial looks good. Too good.

Would have to be fairly early to not use the beryllium copper plating.

Problem with outliers like this is one would spend a lot of time defending it. My impression was Omega never used the word magnetic on watches. All the tells on this look wrong.

Learn something everyday.

My impression was Omega never used the word magnetic on watches.

You are confusing NON MAGNETIC with ANTIMAGNETIC.

non.jpg uuu.jpg

Like 1
As fake as one can possibly fake a watch.
There is absolutly nothing 'Omega' about this watch. Everything is wrong.

On the contrary - the watch is correct in all its parts down to the second hand and crown as far as the photos can tell. See "edited" below...
Numbers are in the correct range. Engraving on the outer side of caseback is fine for this period of production.
The number 136 on the inner side of the caseback is also found on the underside of one lug which is perfectly fine and proves that the case parts belong together.
The only thing that might have happened: Maybe the dial has been swapped (allthough this is perfectly original and not reprinted). the wide gap on the edge makes me think about this possibility.This "view" could also be caused by a missing bezel (see edited below). But also could be totally legit as is...

Edited later and to correct myself: The stepped bezel seems to be missing on this "Naiad" model. Therfore I would like to see a side view of the case. This must be checked... But the parts which are present are original.

I assumed you know a bit about Omegas.
So I wonder about your statement:
"Would have to be fairly early to not use the beryllium copper plating."
Where did you learn this?
Omega never used a beryllium copper plating! Omega used rose gold with different percentage of gold content.
1) The early variant had very little gold at about 3% only, the main component was copper at about 85% plus about 10% silver. So we might call these movements rose-gold plated or maybe better "copper/gold-plated". This coating was prone to oxidation and sometimes the surface looks almost black due to copper-oxide. This plating was used only for a short time as it failed the protection against oxidation.
Omega very soon changed the plating to variant
2) the percentage of gold wass raised up to 80-90% with only 10-20% copper remained to achieve the red/rose colour.
Hence these later rose-gold plated movements can be found still shining as if they had left the factory yesterday.
Edited:

Like 5
I heard the beryllium copper plating in the factory and other collectors like 30 years ago. Never had that questioned before.

As I said this is an outlier. I learned something new today. It is not what most people expect to see. And the oddities are going to have most people question what is in front of them.

I'll crawl back into my hole playing with the 620 and 505 movements, which are more typical examples. Scraping away rust with peg wood. Looks more copper than gold to me. And not really rose gold to my ignorance. I have gold plated movements which are much more yellow aka green toned. Brass is red, gold is green. And I can not see the forest for the trees.

mea-culpa.

Like 2
The only thing that might have happened: Maybe the dial has been swapped (allthough this is perfectly original and not reprinted). the wide gap on the edge makes me think about this possibility.This "view" could also be caused by a missing bezel (see edited below). But also could be totally legit as is...

Edited later and to correct myself: The stepped bezel seems to be missing on this "Naiad" model. Therfore I would like to see a side view of the case. This must be checked... But the parts which are present are original.

Thank you very much for this wealth of information - Do these get you what you need?

IMG_1007.jpeg IMG_1006.jpeg

Not worth $2500 in my opinion even with the missing bezel.

Gonna be kinda small too.

serial appears to point to a 1940ish production date.

Like 2
Everything seems in order (individually) however what stood out to me was the large gap on the outer edge of the dial and the bezel, this could be explained by Erich's identification that the correct bezel is missing if this is indeed the 2173 as this could reduce the diameter of the visible dial. However, I have a lot of little concerns that add up to me to lead to the conclusion of a frankenwatch.

Firstly, I am also not confident on the originality of the lume, so this may very well have been redone, although this doesn't bother me too much if done nicely. I also find the second hand being what appears to be gold in tone a little odd, as I would have expected it to match the blued colour of the other hands. Gold also is not present anywhere else on the dial or case. It appears to be long enough on the dial and should extend to the very edge of the second track - I can't quite say if it does or doesn't as it's not clear in your pictures and of course the authentic but seemingly wrongly proportioned dial (i.e. it was built for a different case).

Seeing as the case is not actually marked with a reference, I actually think the seller has wrongly identified the watch and it is instead an alternative case reference with a potentially transplanted dial / hand combination. Watches like this that are showing red flags I don't usually go near, especially at a high price tag.

I also find the second hand being what appears to be gold in tone

IMO the second hand is not gold but somehow painted "white" (yellowed now) brass - you can see that the paint at the tail of the hand has peeled off revealing the metal underneath. It can be seen best in the second photo.

Like 1
The seller did not list it as a 2173. Sorry if I have caused any confusion as I placed “2173?” in the title. The “?” was to reference a guess by me, based on the reference linked by Mr. Mac_Omega, which I had previously found. Maybe the 2175 is a better guess based on the bezel, the spacing between the railroad track and edge, and the stainless steel case? Or even the 816 which specifically references “Arabian hour markers and inside ‘railway’ minute track.” The ‘inside” possibly explaining the spacing that seems to be causing some concern.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-medicus-ck-2175

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-medicus-816

As far as the seconds hand being of another color, that seems to track the watches of this type - including the black dialed one above (and others I have seen), highlighting the use of a center seconds “first model to feature a central seconds hand, making it bigger and easier to read. Used during the Second World War to accurately measure pulses, this important watch became known as the "nurses' watch", for the help it provided to medical staff on battlefields and in hospitals.” Which is why the railroad track has the 1/5 scale. That’s my understanding anyway.

As for size and price: agreed that it is small 30.5mm and expensive.

Thank you all for your input.

Could it be bezel is correct but the crystal is missing the "armored" inner metal ring that fits against the dial?

Could it be bezel is correct but the crystal is missing the "armored" inner metal ring that fits against the dial?

These cases did not use tension ring crystals.