Help with serial number - year confirmation - 1977

Hello, I am attempting to track down a 1977 manufactured speedy. There are several places online that "estimate' the year, and after some research, I have come to the conclusion that some sites are off by more than 1 million (in the late 70s) and others are simply not consistent. Does anyone here have a 1977 Speedmaster with the first 3 serial numbers of 399? I think this is about when the 77-78 changeover happened but would like to be sure. I also found out that Omega extract is temporarily suspended.

Thanks for any help.

Have you tried the ilovemyspeedmaster.com site. It is run by a very knowledgeable OF member and based on interpolating dates from a large number of Extracts of the Archive that he has accumulated. It's quite accurate.

Have you tried the ilovemyspeedmaster.com site. It is run by a very knowledgeable OF member and based on interpolating dates from a large number of Extracts of the Archive that he has accumulated. It's quite accurate.

As Dan said. This is the only real option for this.

it’s proven for that time period to be very correct within a month or 2 at most.

I also specialize in 145.022-76 watches which where made in 1976 through 1977 and I would be more then willing to assist you if you need help.

IMG_5193.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg
Here is my early 1977 production 145.022-76 with a “ghost bezel”

YEs - that is a great site, but I have noticed it is not 100% accurate. I believe it is the best one out there tough, as I have found other sites / lists can be off my more than 1 million when trying to confirm a date.

it’s proven for that time period to be very correct within a month or 2 at most.

I also specialize in 145.022-76 watches which where made in 1976 through 1977 and I would be more then willing to assist you if you need help.

IMG_5193.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg
Nice piece, and thanks. Currently, I found serial 39185XXX and 39920XXX, and from what I can tell, they are LIKELY 1977, but I cannot be sure. I was hoping that someone had a confirmed 1977 that was outside the range of these 2, so I would be sure.

YEs - that is a great site, but I have noticed it is not 100% accurate. I believe it is the best one out there tough, as I have found other sites / lists can be off my more than 1 million when trying to confirm a date.

Nice piece, and thanks. Currently, I found serial 39185XXX and 39920XXX, and from what I can tell, they are LIKELY 1977, but I cannot be sure. I was hoping that someone had a confirmed 1977 that was outside the range of these 2, so I would be sure.

I think your confusion is in thinking that the serial numbers are perfectly sequential in terms of delivery date, unfortunately that is not the case. Since production dates can sometimes be out of serial-number order, there is no way to know exactly when a particular serial number was produced without an Extract. Similarly, there is no deterministic way to know which serial number is the last one delivered in 1977. For example, even if 39920000 was known to be from 1977, it's possible that a watch with a lower serial number could be from 1978.

I assume that this is all about some birth-year silliness. My advice is to just find a good example from the general time period, and enjoy it.
Edited:

OP,

fellow ‘77er here who also went searching for a birth year Speedmaster. As Dan S pointed out above, I discovered that a given serial number range does not necessarily indicate the manufacture date of of the watch. Further, though resources such as ilovemyspeedmaster.com will help give a general idea of when a piece was produced, the results can sometimes vary greatly from an Extract.

An example of this that comes to mind is the NOS 76ST that RJ from Fratello recently acquired (he has written a couple of articles about it). If memory serves, online databases suggested a 1977 production date while the Extract indicated it was produced many months later in 1978. My recollection is that RJ also felt the Extract may be inaccurate, which further muddied the waters.

My takeaway was this; if you’re set on owning a birth year Speedy, find one that was probably produced in 1977, love and cherish it as such, never get an Extract to confirm or deny its date of manufacture, and live happily ever after. That’s what I did :)

From my archives:
Serial: 39.926.499
Ref: 145.022-76
Production date: October 17, 1977.

Hope this helps.

IMG_5193.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg

Nice watch. Just curious as to how/why you have focused on this particular reference. I find such information from fellow collectors to be quite fascinating.

Let me see a dial picture and I can tell you if it was produced before or after September 9th of 77.

I have a record of extracts of -76 and -77 and I can assure you they are sequential and ilovemyspeedmaster is very correct for this era.

@Dan S they actually are sequential in the -76 reference. Of the 80 or so I have recorded extracts for there is very very little out of sequence pieces.
Edited:

Nice watch. Just curious as to how/why you have focused on this particular reference. I find such information from fellow collectors to be quite fascinating.
Long story short before me it was assumed that all Tall “S” speedies were early 76 production. As that knowledge was a reason for my -76 purchase and later found it was a 77 I took a deep dive into the -76 reference. I also took a dive on the related -74 reference to attempt to solve the mystery of step dial -74’s.

So… I’m ve gpt more -74 and -76 recorded by extract and dial details than anyone else. It’s not a very loved reference as the the only difference in the -76 reference is the font of the S and then it stayed the same for almost a decade with no changes.

Let me see a dial picture and I can tell you if it was produced before or after September 9th of 77.

I have a record of extracts of -76 and -77 and I can assure you they are sequential and ilovemyspeedmaster is very correct for this era.

@Dan S they actually are sequential in the -76 reference. Of the 80 or so I have recorded extracts for there is very very little out of sequence pieces.

OK, Phil, then just answer the OP's question. All he wants to know is the exact serial number dividing 1977 and 1978. Simple question that can be answered with 8 digits. :D

OK, Phil, then just answer the OP's question. All he wants to know is the exact serial number dividing 1977 and 1978. Simple question that can be answered with 8 digits. :D
Very astute observation my friend!

That involves me digging out the hard drive that has that spreadsheet on it and plugging it in. It's on my list of things to do next time I open my computer case.

In fact, it was so sequential I was able to narrow it down to 1 day when the font change occurred on Sept 7th (9th?) 1977. Literally I had a few watches all within a few hundred numbers all perfectly sequential and a hard prove the dial was not done before that day and on all after that day. For the other pieces, every extract date was in order with the serial number, but it seems that production happened in batches which is to be expected.

Its not the first time i have needed to dig it out.

On the other hand a dial shot makes it easy to confirm most of the -76 production regardless of sequential or not.

Very astute observation my friend!

That involves me digging out the hard drive that has that spreadsheet on it and plugging it in. It's on my list of things to do next time I open my computer case.

In fact, it was so sequential I was able to narrow it down to 1 day when the font change occurred on Sept 7th (9th?) 1977. Literally I had a few watches all within a few hundred numbers all perfectly sequential and a hard prove the dial was not done before that day and on all after that day. For the other pieces, every extract date was in order with the serial number, but it seems that production happened in batches which is to be expected.

Its not the first time i have needed to dig it out.

On the other hand a dial shot makes it easy to confirm most of the -76 production regardless of sequential or not.

Thanks for the efforts and being willing to assist. I have only been looking at dials with a "short s" and tall Tachymetre.

From my archives:

Hope this helps.

Thank you. IF the numbers are not 100% sequential, then I have a tall order. I found an extract for 39922603 listing an Oct 1978 production. ilovemyspeedmaster shows it as Sept 1977 - a full 13 month difference.

From my archives:

Hope this helps.

Where might 39.921.047 fall? ILMS indicates September 1977 production…

Thank you. IF the numbers are not 100% sequential, then I have a tall order. I found an extract for 39922603 listing an Oct 1978 production. ilovemyspeedmaster shows it as Sept 1977 - a full 13 month difference.
A -76 with late 78 production?

that makes no sense. There is something odd about that piece.

if you have a short S ( I call it tall) and a serial number in range your golden.

A -76 with late 78 production?

that makes no sense. There is something odd about that piece.

if you have a short S ( I call it tall) and a serial number in range your golden.

I have been looking for the "S" that does not come to the bottom of the "p" as I read that the S that comes farther down was a later dial.- If that is what you are calling "tall" then we are on the same page. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

From researching and reading posts here, I believe I can narrow it down to approx. 1977 - early 1978. I was trying to get even narrower, but I may do what was described earlier, and get as close as I can and enjoy it.

At this point you’re not happy with what the experts are telling you.

the only way to make you happy is to have an extract.

I’m sorry but at this point it’s the truth.