Forums Latest Members

Help with possibly a stupid question....

1. DJW_50 Jun 12, 2016

I have recently bought my first serious watch at the tender age of 30, Omega Seamaster (profile pic). I know this maybe a extremely stupid question but, am I safe to go swimming with the watch. The woman who sold me the watch (from an Omega outlet) didn't seem to confident at all (but I did fall in love with the watch). Any help/advice would be appreciated.

image.jpeg
    GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  2. GBTRIUMPH Jun 12, 2016

500 ft water resistant rating means you can swim and snorkel with it, provided it is new and no one changed the battery. If the battery has been changed, you need to assure yourself it has been pressure tested before you take a chance.

DJW_50 likes this.
  3. leetse2 Jun 12, 2016

Congrats on the new watch. If you bought it new from an authorized dealer you should have no issue. The watch is safe to 150 meters. If it is preowned I would get it pressure checked.

DJW_50 likes this.
  4. DJW_50 Jun 12, 2016

Thanks for the replies, yes it was bought brand new. We are due to go away on holiday and I didn't fancy leaving it in the safe.

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  5. GBTRIUMPH Jun 12, 2016

You should have gotten full documentation if it is new, and all the symbols and explanations are in there.

6. DJW_50 Jun 12, 2016

I did, but you read so many different opinions online, I thought to ask people who actually own one. Thanks for your help

7. GBTRIUMPH Jun 12, 2016

You MUST take it with you and show it off! Its a RULE! Anyone who is anyone will tell you that! ;-) THAT's the fun part !

DJW_50 likes this.
  8. Canuck Jun 12, 2016

The only thing certain about water resistant watches (NOT waterproof) is that they will eventually leak! There is a wealth of information on this MB about water resistance of watches. You might want to go to the archives and search out some answers to your question. Watches that start out being water resistant, do NOT remain water resistant. If you insist the watch be safe for swimming, be prepared to shell out to keep it safe. Better maybe you should buy a grey market Seiko diver for small dollars, and dump it when it leaks!

Check out this link to another current topic on this MB regarding a watch very much like yours that is several months old. LEAKED, the first time near water!

https://omegaforums.net/threads/condensation-on-new-seamaster.41422/

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 12, 2016

And the only safe for of sex is abstention....but that doesn't mean we all have to be virgins until marriage.

A seamaster is safe in the water....more of them do well than badly....leaks are the exception. If you do swim a lot take it every year to check the seals...not that expensive really. If it's ocasional then enjoy.

There is a difference between swimming or even diving and sports though. If you're surfing or water skiing and you fall you can add significant pressure on the fall and surpass the 10 to 15 atm rated. If you're floating away you'll get to Cuba and still be able to tell the time.

DJW_50 likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 12, 2016

I would not call it safe to 150m. 150m and 100m on a dive watch are two different things. Hint the dive watch to 100m is better.

11. DJW_50 Jun 12, 2016

Think I've started another debate on Water Resistancy. Just to be clear when I say swimming I mean in and out the shallow pool on holiday with the kids and maybe the odd length. Nothing extreme and not the type of person for water sports either.

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  12. Canuck Jun 12, 2016

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 12, 2016

But it is rated to 150m

14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 12, 2016

I have one watch rated at 120m, two at 200m and one at 300m. My attitude is that if I ever find myself at those depths, the last thing I'll be worried about will be water resistance.......:p

Kodok, DJW_50 and Nobel Prize like this.
  15. arkstfan Jun 12, 2016

Yeah the police report will list me as victim if I'm in 100m of water. Sadly my Seiko is rated to that depth and if doesn't stop won't be helpful determining time of death.

Mouse_at_Large and DJW_50 like this.
  16. Bushido Jun 12, 2016

Brand new watch with warranty and far more water resistance rating than required for enjoying the pool. There's never any guarantees in life but this is a pretty safe bet. Warranty is there on the rare chance things go sideways. Remember, watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed.

Make sure to rinse the watch off in fresh water once out of the pool/ocean to clean any salt/chemicals still hitching a ride.

Congratulations on the new purchase!

DJW_50 likes this.
  17. GBTRIUMPH Jun 12, 2016

Yes, you have, but that is the fun part of this site. Welcome to the ownership and it IS a pretty and handsome watch. Wear it with pride...
    just don't tempt God too much, he'll take it away. ;-)

DJW_50 likes this.