Forums Latest Members
  1. kgb Aug 28, 2019

Hello Forum, I've now owned my 3572.50 for three weeks and love it more every day! It is the early version with tritium markers and gold 863 movement.

My big question regards the hands...are they too white? I'm pretty sure these are recent superluminova replacements because they glow bright green after sun exposure.
    IMG-1077.JPG IMG-1080.JPG
    (second pic is against a background of bright white photocopy paper for reference.)

question 1: did my model originally ship with hands that were painted bright white like the current hands, or painted a color more off-white/cream?

question 2: are the replacement hands available on ebay (often omega p/n 67PP00001, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-O...623223&hash=item46973aadea:g:1XIAAOSwo3pWfYAxPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network) similar bright white painted and superluminova like the ones mine currently has?

question 3: any recommended watchmakers etc. who relume and/or repaint these hands to colors I specify with excellent quality?

BTW, I really don't care if the hands glow in the dark. I just want a correct aged tritium look in daylight, even to the point of a darker lume on the chrono/second hand.

Any other advice?

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 29, 2019

IMG_20190715_074136.jpg

Here is my 3572.50

Yes, should be tritium hands for this model. On your watch do the hands glow way longer than dial plots?

I'm not sure what the price is these days for a tritium handset, but they do come up every now and again.

kgb likes this.
  3. Deno14 Aug 29, 2019

Yeah, those are definitely super luminova as the markers show some patina, but the hands not at all. Try avoid re-luming as its rare to find a watchmaker who is really good at re-luming. I would suggest finding some NOS tritium hands. Maybe even contact some service centers to see if they have any in stock.

kgb likes this.
  4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 29, 2019

Kent Parks at Everest Watch Works. Rare indeed.

My '97 "57 Replica" was all Luminova. Perhaps a transition period and a mix is correct?

Tom

kgb likes this.
  5. Donn Chambers Aug 30, 2019

Since no one has really answered the OP’s question #1 — yes, the original hands were white, just like modern hands. Only the lume was different.

kgb and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 30, 2019

The change over was in 1999 on the Pro. AFAIK there was no watch shipped with a mix of tritium and luminova from the factory.

kgb and Archer like this.
  7. kgb Sep 5, 2019

Thanks very much for the replies, especially @Donn Chambers for confirmation that the "bright" white paint is period correct and @VetPsychWars for suggestion of Everest Watch Works.

My current plan is to send the watch to Everest and have them 'relume' the hands with non-glow tritium-colored material. I will ask if they can make the hour and minute hands match the patinated tritium color of hour indices, and ask for the chrono/second hand to be the darker gray color typical of aged tritium on these hands.

That is, current photo of watch:
    mine1.jpg
    and my intended 'after' look:
    mine_relume_idea2.jpg

I've been watching ebay for NOS tritium hands but the few offerings tend to be very pricey (>$900) and a bit too beat-up looking. I think I can get the authentic vintage colors/look I want more economically with a relume.

Let me know if this is a reasonable plan.

Someone mentioned the risk of a botched relume. I suppose I could protect against that by buying a set of replacement Superluminova hands (around $75+ on ebay, it appears) and send those to Everest for the relume, just in case I don't like the result. Is that crazy?

Thanks in advance for your expertise and help.

--Ken.

Mossback likes this.
  8. Maganator Sep 5, 2019

If you search for James Hyman on here you’ll see that he does excellent relume work and is another option for you

Mossback, kgb and Archer like this.
  9. Stuie Sep 6, 2019

whyboddau and kgb like this.
  10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 6, 2019

Isn't Mr Hyman in the UK? Kent Parks at Everest is in the USA and does equivalent quality.

Good to have choices. :)

Tom

kgb likes this.