Help with buying gold 70s watch (UK) - Newbie to vintage/Omega

Hi everyone, new to this forum but hoping for some advice to set me on my path to getting my next watch.

A little background:

I have been collecting (new) watches for around 10 years (Rolex (mainly), Breitling, Omega, Tudor) but unfortunately had to sell almost all of them due to personal issues; I have one nice watch left that I wear as a daily. Next year I am getting married and wanted to buy a gold/gold plated vintage Omega as a gift to myself and to wear also for certain occasions. However, I have absolutely no idea if what I am looking at are legitimately original watches or ones with replacement parts/redials/after-market straps? I am under no illusion that getting a completely original watch, hopefully from the 1970's and as close to 1977 as possible, with my budget of under £1,000 (preferably under £750) is possible but maybe I can get close enough to feel good about the purchase? I have no idea about references from this time frame, have no idea about what the watch should look like at all (based on what was actually made in the 70's) but know the following from a wish perspective:

1. The watch needs to be gold (in appearance) so plated (I assume) for the price bracket?
2. I would very much like it to have the day/date function but at least a date function as minimum
3. I don't want it on a leather strap so matching gold bracelet is preferable
4. Box and papers are NOT important to me for this particular purchase but, if possible, then of course that is an added benefit
5. An automatic/manual movement would be good but also quartz is not a problem at all as I am not looking to buy it for future profit purposes.
6. The dial needs to be black/grey/gold/champagne in appearance and preferably not white

I have seen the following on UK eBay which look nice but as mentioned above I have no idea if these are worth the money or even only made up of parts from different watches?

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285589844607
2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134863863236
3. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334718609295

My main concerns are whether the dials are in original condition, the movements correct and the bracelets correct for the watch? I also do not know prices for vintage watches as they seem to fluctuate considerably?

Are there other places other than eBay that can offer me choices with fewer authenticity concerns? What should I be looking out for?

Sorry for the long "first" thread but all help appreciated to find my next watch and delve into vintage Omega?

Thanks in advance

Dan

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Hi Dan, 2nd step: search at Chrono24 and compare 😀
I would avoid quartz and integrated bracelets - my2cents

Hi Dan, 2nd step: search at Chrono24 and compare 😀
I would avoid quartz and integrated bracelets - my2cents

Thank you - could I get some feedback on the first eBay listing I referenced please? Does this look legit and in the right price bracket?

Thank you - could I get some feedback on the first eBay listing I referenced please? Does this look legit and in the right price bracket?

Please see post above regarding quartz and integrated bracelet watches.

Regardless the example you posted is about two times over priced.

Anything vintage with a bracelet (integrated or otherwise) one must be cognizant of the length, because finding extra links can be very difficult.

BTW - Posts with attached photos (not just links) get far more attention.

Great watch above! I’d contact seller see if he will close auction early and sell to you for maybe 750-800. It’s worth it

Thanks everyone for all the help.....I will contact the seller of the watch above posted by Mac and see if a deal can be done - much appreciated

Thanks everyone for all the help.....I will contact the seller of the watch above posted by Mac and see if a deal can be done - much appreciated
Let us know the outcome

I have tried to contact the seller of the watch posted by Mac but got no reply so let's see how the auction goes with at least 2 members here bidding it seems.

With another watch in mind though can someone please let me know if this one has (at least) the correct bracelet and dial etc? It seems there are some "special reasons" to me why this watch might be ideal so want to check if it seems legit and the price is not completely out of this world?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134868516596

All help and information appreciated on this one especially.......

OmegaSOT.jpeg

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Quartz movement. Not the best option IMHO. I think the bracelet is not original as it should have curved endlinks.

Quartz movement. Not the best option IMHO. I think the bracelet is not original as it should have curved endlinks.

The quartz movement doesn't bother me at all but I don't want one with the incorrect bracelet as then I would need to source another. Such a shame as the paperwork with it is local to where I grew up

take your time. Buying a watch in a hurry is rarely a good idea.

take your time. Buying a watch in a hurry is rarely a good idea.

Thanks, especially when I have no real idea about the brand or any knowledge about vintage watches......I have asked the seller some questions anyway so let's see what I get back at least and make a decision from there.

The Quartz one is far inferior to the other and way overpriced. The gold Seamaster that everyone likes is up to 924 with 14 bidders so I doubt seller would make a deal now you’ll have to win the auction at this point.

Thats a lovely watch. Is there anyway to tell from the photos abour the case material (solid, plated or filled gold, 9ct, 14ct, etc)?
Looks gold capped, the backs of the lugs appear to be SS.

Looks gold capped, the backs of the lugs appear to be SS.
Thanks! I will keep looking closer