Help with buying gold 70s watch (UK) - Newbie to vintage/Omega

I've been talking to the seller of this one today: Apparently recently serviced. I haven't made an offer yet but hoped for additional feedback from the experts here please

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285633663134

s-l1600..jpeg

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Has the seller told you it’s been serviced and do they have a recipe/proof? The listing just says it’s working fine.
Personally I value the steel models higher than gold plated (the market generally agrees) and I would say a steel one is worth half of the asking price

Hi Dan,

I am no expert but as I was in the same quest for a vintage wedding watch I will try to contribute as I can.

First advice would be to take your time. If the wedding is next year you will still have time to develop your knowledge and hunt for the right piece. Regularly looking at the thread about recommended Omega watch on eBay was really helpful for me.
Second one would be, considering your objectives to wear it as a dress watch probably with a suit for your wedding, not to focus too much on the matching bracelet. Nice leather strap are great and will probably allow more room for the watch head itself. ..
Third but this is a mantra for vintage, condition, condition, condition.

Have a good hunt
Edited:

Thanks again everyone for the advice and help, I can be quite impulsive sometimes so when I set my mind to something I usually carry through until it is resolved and I have the result I am happy with. In this case a watch that I want for later next year and one I can wear on other occasions before then. Special thanks to Mac for showing me the eBay listing a few days ago........

Having purchased the watch originally posted by Mac in this thread I wanted to know what (possible) extra links might be required please? I have searched a little on eBay but nothing obvious has come up so wanted some expert advice on exactly what I should be looking for please?Is there a specific reference number for the bracelet itself? Thanks in advance

If you know the reference number of the watch. You can search based on that. Internet or EBay.

you would need links closest the buckle

If you know the reference number of the watch. You can search based on that. Internet or EBay.

you would need links closest the buckle

How do I find the reference number? Between the lugs? The serial number dates it to 1969 I think being a 28million serial.

How do I find the reference number? Between the lugs? The serial number dates it to 1969 I think being a 28million serial.
Watch reference number is inside the Caseback which was not shown on listing.
But this is not what you need to identify the bracelet- there is often a bracelet number inside the clasp where the Omega symbol is located. When you get Watch take detailed photos of clasp, endlinks with numbers visible and detailed photos of the bracelet including side views of last several links close to clasp. Someone here will know and help you. In meantime there are extenders available in GP which can tide you over until you can find proper extra link.
Congrats nice watch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3640278750...lj_rHn1RIK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
So I should be getting my new watch tomorrow or early this week as it is now in the UK awaiting an import charge at the PO. Just a couple of questions from a new owner of vintage: (Sorry for any silly questions)

1. How many times should I wind it without causing any issues?
2. I assume it cannot be kept in a watch winder with it being 55 years old?
3. I doubt it is waterproof but would a small "splash" cause damage? Submersed in water a no no I suspect?

Any other things I need to know about the basic upkeep of a vintage Omega?

Thanks

Dan

Looking forward to seeing photos, Dan

1. Assuming it’s working well and you’re wearing it, half a dozen turns of the crown is more than adequate. The watch winds itself as you move your wrist.

2. I don’t imagine it’s a problem because the winder only replicates your wrist movement but, unless you’re switching between watches, you might just as well keep on wearing it.

3. Rinsing your hands after using the loo should be fine. If it’s been serviced recently, new gaskets should be protecting the workings. Personally, I take mine off if I’m shaving, showering, washing up, etc.

Don’t put it where it will get splashed, fall on the floor, in your pocket with keys or loose change, while you’re mowing the lawn, hammering nails, painting the house …… 😉

So the watch arrived today and is beautiful....pics to follow later when I get chance. Just wondering if removing the case back is as easy as it looks using a removal knife I have and will it snap back on? Want to see the reference number so I can then source a date/ref specific box for it. Also, the case back has been engraved which wasn't mentioned in the listing or the buyer didn't notice as it is very faded. Seems it was a gift to a guy called Eddie dated 12.25.69 - does this matter in anyway as is doesn't bother me but thought maybe it devalued it somehow?

Be careful opening can scratch easily. If you are new at it I recommend d taking to jeweller or watchmaker to open. Big scratch will lower value.

regarding engravings some like them some do not. I dont think that’s a big deal I am in camp that likes having some history of the watch showing.

So I finally got round to taking the watch to a watchmaker to re-size the bracelet and open the back to get the ref number. Appears to be 2 numbers as follows:

CD 166 032
CD 168 023
28 million serial dating it to 1969

Why are there 2 numbers and which reference is it exactly?

Also seems the bracelet had been held together on the last 2 links with spring bars which have now been replaced with the correct pins

So I finally got round to taking the watch to a watchmaker to re-size the bracelet and open the back to get the ref number. Appears to be 2 numbers as follows:

CD 166 032
CD 168 023
28 million serial dating it to 1969

Why are there 2 numbers and which reference is it exactly?

Also seems the bracelet had been held together on the last 2 links with spring bars which have now been replaced with the correct pins

Hey Dan, those two ref. numbers indicate that the case is compatible with those two models. The difference between the two is that the 166 is the non-chronometer version, which seems to be the one you have judging from the picture shared by Mac. The CD means 14k Yellow Gold Cap.

There are multiple sites with guides to make sense out of those reference numbers, so it's always handy to have one around.

I'm not an expert though, so maybe wait for one to provide extra input.