Help with a Vintage Omega Seamaster

Hi there,

I'm new to buying vintage Omega and I'd really appreciate an expert eye on this:

I've already checked the Serial No. (17374557) and it seems to actually belong to the 1960s models with that movement (600), as claimed.

My doubts are on the Quadrant, as I haven't seen so much of them by Omega with that peculiar number font.
Any chance that it has been redialed or, worse, that is a fake quadrant ?

Anyone there having expertise on that, willing to have a say ?

I like it and I'm thinking of buying it, but I don't wanna make mistakes.

Huge thanks!

m

The picture isnt great but it looks OK based on that. I'm curious, how did you check that the serial matches the model?

It will definitely need a service though, is that hair and gunk in the ratchet wheel??

Perhaps you can post clear high resolution photos. You can crop out the excess background, we only need to see the watch.

Perhaps you can post clear high resolution photos. You can crop out the excess background, we only need to see the watch.

Unfortunately those are the only pictures I have.

Seller's got his nasty hands all over that dial in the last picture.

A 17.37m serial would suggest manufacture around 1959/1960 but that website doesn't give any indication of the movement related to that serial number, nothing except an Omega Extract of the Archives can, and that service is currently unavailable.

Don't put too much faith in what you see on that site since there is no online resource at all that accurately gives date and model details based solely on a serial number. The movement could have been dropped in from another model altogether. Or it could be just fine.
Edited:

A 17.37m serial would suggest manufacture around 1959/1960 but that website doesn't give any indication of the movement related to that serial number, nothing except an Omega Extract of the Archives can, and that service is
currently unavailable.

Don't put too much faith in what you see on that site since there is no online resource at all that accurately gives date and model details based solely on a serial number. The movement could have been dropped in from another model altogether. Or it could be just fine.

That's correct. And thanks a lot for the clarification.

Perhaps a cross check on the quadrant could help dissipate the doubts (positively or negatively)?
(Which was actually my main concern here).
Any thoughts on that?

Perhaps a cross check on the quadrant could help dissipate the doubts (positively or negatively)?
(Which was actually my main concern here).
Any thoughts on that?

What is a "quadrant?"

I'm not really sure what you mean by quadrant, but if you mean the dial, I have seen those style of indices before on vintage Omegas. There are concerns with this as noted above, the pictures aren't clear and the seller is clearly an amateur who thinks it is ok to touch the dial. It looks like it needs a service too so that needs factoring in. Why don't you give us some indication of the asking price since at $250 its an OK buy probably, at $1K it is not at all.

Based on the poor photos, I can't see anything wrong with the watch. That said, it's an entry-level piece with a tired-looking movement that will probably need a service. So I'd only consider buying it at a low price.

I'm not really sure what you mean by quadrant, but if you mean the dial, I have seen those style of indices before on vintage Omegas. There are concerns with this as noted above, the pictures aren't clear and the seller is clearly an amateur who thinks it is ok to touch the dial. It looks like it needs a service too so that needs factoring in. Why don't you give us some indication of the asking price since at $250 it's an OK buy probably, at $1K it is not at all.

Yes, the DIAL.
(Sorry for the Spanglish).

The doubt was right on the style on indices.
I did a quick search and I didn't find any Vintage Seamaster 600 with those ones.

the asking price is 845 Euros.

I have a 14765-2 with a similar dial, c1960. This has the 500 series movement inside. In my humble opinion, mine has a more interestingly shaped #3

IMG_1017.jpeg

And I saw this one in a local shop, similar to the one you’ve shown, but with crosshairs on the dial. So, there are more than a few variants

IMG_0527.jpeg

I have a 14765-2 with a similar dial, c1960. This has the 500 series movement inside. In my humble opinion, mine has a more interestingly shaped #3

IMG_1017.jpeg

And I saw this one in a local shop, similar to the one you’ve shown, but with crosshairs on the dial. So, there are more than a few variants

IMG_0527.jpeg

Huuuuugely helping photos! Thanks a lot!!!
That proves that Omega was actually using those types of numbers back in the 60s.

thanks a lot!

Seamaster 600

This is not a Seamaster 600, it appears to be a ref 14915, the Seamaster 600 is a screw back case.

This is not a Seamaster 600, it appears to be a ref 14915, the Seamaster 600 is a screw back case.

wow, thanks for the info!
If I look for that Ref. I get it to be a "Seamaster De Ville". But that model DOES have the 600 movement. Does it makes sense according to your knowledge?