Forums Latest Members

Help with a serial number authenticity.

1. Ottis13 Jun 17, 2020

Hello

New member of the forums and the Omega watch family. Finally achieved one of my life long goals and bought my first luxury time piece, an Omega Seamaster 300 Professional. Super excited and can't wait for it to get here. Was going to ask if someone would mind running a serial number for me to make sure it is what the seller has said it was. Thanks for your help.

s-l1600-2.jpg
  2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 17, 2020

Can you include pics of the watch as well? Dial and movement photos

3. Ottis13 Jun 17, 2020

Thats all I have for now, and I don't have a movement photo.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg
  4. ChiefMark Jun 17, 2020

With so many so-called “super-fakes” out there that include bogus serial numbers, and people constantly posting the serial numbers on their watches, the criminal minds making bogus watches have plenty of opportunities to put a correct serial number on a thoroughly garbage watch.
    Without very good photographs, particularly of the movement, it’s harder to tell than it's ever been.
    I hope you thoroughly vetted the seller. Otherwise you’ll be tearing your hair out until you can have it checked by a knowledgeable watchmaker.
    When you get it, unscrew the crown and operate the functions. If there is any grittiness to it, if it’s not perfectly smooth and precise in setting the time and date, be concerned.
    I don’t see anything obvious in the pictures you did share, but in all seriousness the recent fakes are so good you have to look at the movement.

5. Ottis13 Jun 17, 2020

If I take it to an omega AD and it turns out being fake, won't they confiscate it? At that point the money back guarantee through eBay is kinda dead in the water.
    I researched his feedback as a seller and he has sold several Omega watches with five star reviews and he's based out of States. I asked many questions and he seemed knowledgeable. With that being said I'm still pulling my hair out at the uncertainty.

6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jun 17, 2020

I'm not certain anyone here can "run" the serial number for you to determine if it's real or fake. There are lists of Omega serial numbers indicating the approximate year the movement was produced, these are available through a simple Google search. If you are near an Omega Boutique (maybe an AD also) they should be able to look it up in their internal database for you. Not to sound like an a broken record here but you probably should have verified it was real BEFORE you paid for it.
    Anyway, looks pretty good to me. Nothing stands out and screams FAKE, but need to see the movement. Congrats on your new watch and welcome to the club. :thumbsup:

Ottis13 likes this.
  7. ExpiredWatchdog Jun 17, 2020

Hmm, a watch with three eights in the serial number along with two repeated strings of chinese lucky numbers. The very first thing I'd do is have a watchmaker open it and check it out. I'm not saying that number can't be real, but I'd be very suspicious.

8. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 17, 2020

That is a good start but doesn't always mean anything. I know this is being a "pot stirrer" and that's not my intentions, but he could have sold several fakes to unsuspecting customers that gave 5 star reviews. I can't answer to the question if the AD will take it because I don't know, but maybe you can research a highly reputable independent watch maker with an Omega parts account and ask them to look at at. I don't know how far you will get but if I was in your situation, that is how my mind would be working.

Ottis13 likes this.
  9. Meme-Dweller Jun 17, 2020

Weird serial pattern but the watch looks good from what I can see and nothing points to a fakeroonie. However, I'm not an expert on the model.

10. Dor_42 Jun 18, 2020

I find it strange that so many people turn to the forums after the deal was made, why pull the trigger if you're not sure your aim is right?
    I hope everything will turn out fine.

11. stuart70 Jun 18, 2020

If it does’t feel right walk away a 300m is not a rare watch. Trying to save a few hundred may cost you more down the line.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 18, 2020

Serial number: 87987968
    Article ref: 21230362001002

Ottis13 likes this.