Forums Latest Members

Ladymatic 34mm with wrong serial number?

1. Nando Oct 15, 2018

Hello,

I had the strangest exchange with a Swatch Group representative here in Canada regarding one of our Omegas a few months back. We have an Omega Ladymatic 34mm ref. 425.30.34.20.04.010 with the 8520 Co-Axial movement and the serial number is in the 84,xxx,xxx range. It is an SS model with the mother of pearl dial and diamond indices on a leather strap. We purchased the watch without box/papers from a local estate sale a couple of years ago. The family of the deceased did not know where the watch was purchased but they believe that it was an anniversary gift from the deceased's late-husband around 6-7 years ago. It could have been purchased anywhere as the couple travelled extensively throughout Canada, the US and Europe.

The watch is in great shape but the leather strap needed replacing after a few years of use. Since we live 7 hours away from the closest AD, I contacted Omega about ordering a replacement strap. What happened next was unbelievable. The rep from the Swatch Group claimed that the serial number engraved on the case back was not of a Ladymatic but of a Seamaster 300 Professional. Is this possible? I sent in photographs of the watch showing the serial number. Another representative that was higher up in the chain then contacted me and she wanted us to send the watch to Switzerland so that Omega could verify its authenticity. Only then could they sell us a strap! I thanked her for her time and declined. Luckily I found a suitable 3rd party replacement strap for the Ladymatic on e-Bay.

The watch looks legitimate but we were still concerned. So during a recent visit to Toronto, we compared it, side-by-side, to similar Ladymatic 34mm with the MOP dial at an AD (European Boutique in the Eaton Centre). The case and movement look absolutely identical. Even the way the serial number was engraved into the case-back look identical. The only difference was that our watch had a leather strap while the one at the AD had the SS bracelet.

So I'm just looking for some feedback. We have plenty of Omegas. However all but two of them are vintage watches. The only modern Omegas we have are a pre-owned Speedmaster Pro with complete box/papers and this pre-owned Ladymatic 34mm without box/papers, both purchased relatively recently. We've never serviced our modern Omegas yet. The Ladymatic runs well but its likely due for a service soon. I'm concerned about service issues and parts availability. We would prefer sending it to an independent watchmaker since we're now uneasy about sending it to Omega or an AD for service after our experience.

Could have the rep at the Swatch Group made a mistake? I also read somewhere that the 84,xxx,xxx serial number would place production in 2008 but I believe that the Ladymatic 34mm was released in 2010. However, I also read that recent serial numbers are not necessarily sequential.

What do you think? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
    Fernando

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 16, 2018

Pictures of the watch help...

Honestly the best way to verify would be a movement picture.

Seems odd the Swiss are rather good at record keeping.

3. Nando Oct 16, 2018

Thanks for responding. Here are some photos of the movement.

image002.jpg image003.jpg image004.jpg
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 16, 2018

Clearly a fake. The balance wheel is not black as it should be, wrong shock protection on the balance jewel, balance is in the wrong position on the movement in relation to the stem, and the jewels in the movement have no pivots from the wheels in them - this is a cover plate added to a cheap movement to make it look genuine...

image004.jpg
    If you want me to double check the serial number, you can either post it here or send me a PM, but in any case the ref. 425.30.34.20.04.010 comes up as "no results found" when I look it up on the Omega Extranet...

Cheers, Al

Nando and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 16, 2018

Real 8520 for comparison...

omega-caliber-8520.jpg

6. Nando Oct 16, 2018

Thanks for your time and insight Al.

Well that's a bummer! What can I say? I was sure fooled by it. I do feel a bit of relief knowing that we at least know exactly what it is now. I'm not sure how I'm going to break the news to my other half. :/ Luckily we didn't pay too much for it, relatively speaking. This is a learning experience for sure.

Best,
    Fernando

PS: the Seamaster 120 is running wonderfully.