Forums Latest Members
  1. kaplan Nov 5, 2023

Hi everyone,

I opened a watch for the first time today and saw that the 5th, 6th and 7th digits of the serial are unmistakeably carved/etched to not be readable, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 8th digits are intact, it's done very precisely and each digit is individually etched carved

Why could this be?

Bought this from an estate auction, maybe there's a reason there, to avoid tracking/responsibility etc.?

Regards

2. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Nov 5, 2023

During my policing career I learned that serial numbers on stolen firearms could often be recovered despite being scratched or filed off by criminals.

The criminals usually tried to file off the entire number though. Maybe the watch criminals are lazy. (Lazier).

What brand watch is it?

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Nov 5, 2023

kaplan likes this.
  4. kaplan Nov 5, 2023

Omega, I suspect it could be done here too

Wow! A year match as the story here but admittedly it's 1 am here and I wasn't able to read the entire story yet :) https://omegaforums.net/threads/thoughts-on-seamster-cal-562.7835/ The circular carving style is the same as the scanned story photos X350 shared

5. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Nov 5, 2023

Yes that seems like a good morning read for tomorrow! And not criminal.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 5, 2023

That was an interesting bunny hole to drop down. I still don't completely understand the reason for drilling out the SN's (to avoid having them seized as contraband? ) ...Regardless, we collectors don't take these to Onega anyway and Omega has forgotten. Guess the best thing is to save the article as part of the watch provenance.

7. SOG53 Nov 5, 2023

From the article it suggests the reason was to avoid detection by the dealers he bought the watches from in Europe. Which makes sense. Doesn’t seem like the current unknowing collector who acquires one of these has any moral dilemma, IMO.

tamura and Larry S like this.