Forums Latest Members
  1. 42south Aug 24, 2019

hello to everyone.
    My first post here, hoping the forum members can advise. This is my dads 1964 Speedmaster that I have inherited. As you can see it is in completely unrestored condition exactly as he left it to me. I have had the omega agents down here in Auckland, New Zealand take a look inside with a view to restoring it to top working condition. The agents were insisting that I have the hands replaced for fear of contamination, I was unwilling to do this for fear of damaging its collectability. the watch appears entirely original and unmolested or polished.
    So my question to the forum is, how far should I go with restoring this watch without damaging its collectability. I do have old cars and understand that for some people originality is everything, whilst for others modern upgrades are OK.
    I am going to sell the watch so wish to appeal to the widest market.
    omega face4 .jpeg omega rear.jpeg omega bracelet.jpeg omega winder.jpeg case interior.jpg exterior of case.jpg Interior of watch.jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

If your intention is to sell it, do nothing!

I repeat, do nothing to the watch, not even any cleaning.

Any hint of a service or "restoration" will decrease the considerable value.

Etp095, Foo2rama, stahlmotte and 12 others like this.
  3. Cad290 Aug 24, 2019

If you are looking to sell it, don’t do a single thing.

lando, ALinares and watchyouwant like this.
  4. 42south Aug 24, 2019

Thanks for the replies, most appreciated, any ideas on how to value it?

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

Etp095, Mad Dog and connieseamaster like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

and don't make any deals until you know exactly what its estimated value is.

7. Davidt Aug 25, 2019

Welcome. A couple of quick observations to help you value it.

Positive:
    Early reference
    Nice case
    One owner 'barn find' in unrestored condition (collectors love this so you'll achieve maximum value by doing nothing to it).
    Bezel appears to have a blue hint?
    Original crown
    Original bracelet

Negative:
    Lume plot are degraded meaning the dial is only average.

8. 42south Aug 25, 2019

Thanks Davidt that’s the info I need.
    So should I value it based on the site mentioned above less discount for condition.
    However it doesn’t include the bracelet, so now I have to guess what that’s worth, I do see some on eBay at wildly varying prices.
    What determines a bracelets value, this one is well worn.
    Cheers
    Mark

9. Davidt Aug 25, 2019

The bracelets probably around $1500 US.

For a private sale the chart quoted above is excellent.

I'd put yours slightly above 'running' on the chart, but collectors do go crackers for barn find, one owner watches, so how far above 'running' its value actually lies is subjective.

10. 42south Aug 25, 2019

Thanks again davidt, you have been most helpful.
    Cheers
    Mark

11. skipper Aug 25, 2019

Lovely piece. I can't make out the serial but I'm guessing as its a -64 with a blueish bezel its probably around the 22.0 to 22.5m range, most 64's with blue bezels seem to be (with the odd exception).

Its just a shame that you have to sell it, I count myself fortunate that I've been able to hang on to my fathers -64.

DotOverNine likes this.
  12. 42south Aug 25, 2019

Thanks to all who have replied.
    Just for info the jeweller who opened it gave me the info on the serial number its 22081964 the case back number is S 105 012 64 and it is a Omega cal 321 movement.
    Looking at the value tables, and some private replies, the value is probably Just above $10000 USD. So I will list it on ebay soon and see what the market determines as its value.
    I see the photos of the interior are not high resolution, would it be wise to get a local jeweller to open it again and perhaps remove the bracelet to get some high resolution shots of the serial and movement numbers? I don't want to damage it at all.

13. WatchTimes Aug 26, 2019

Good luck with eBay land of scams!
    I sold a Rolex 5513 there, EVERYTHING in my office and building is on cam.
    I have full video of the box being packed where you can clearly the watch being but in the box, the box sealed, FedEx taking it.
    Buyer said the watch did not fit them and filled for a refund with PP before even contacting me.
    Buyer sent back a brick! Yes, a brick, the video showed the box being delivered by FedEx, opened by my employee and the brick being taken out.
    PayPal refunded the buyer immediately.
    I called to complain and PP did not care. Had no interest in the video footage I had, said it was irrelevant that the FedEx shipping weights were not near the same from the package we sent out and what we got back.
    We RARELY sell on eBay anymore as a result.

lando, Taybharr, Mark020 and 6 others like this.
  14. Walrus Aug 26, 2019

Yes that is some scary #%<t with eBay. So the dude runs off with a watch you worked to get and has it for nothing. It really does make selling a nightmare and I can’t imagine local cops getting involved although I have t heard stories of people getting police involved yet

15. Bille Aug 26, 2019

First of all - it’s a really nice watch - in a very original and honest condition.

Since you are new on OF and you only have 5 posts (which means you can not put any watches up for sale) I would consider selling the watch on Chrono24. I believe it’s better and more safe than EBay.

pseikotick likes this.
  16. edgware14 Aug 26, 2019

Great piece, Chrono24 doesn't get a lot of love around here but I agree, if you can get them to mediate the sale for you it should be safer than ebay. Good luck

17. 42south Aug 26, 2019

Gee whiz guys you've got me somewhat rattled over a sale now. I am a low risk kind of seller, and always open to good advice so I will try the Chrono24 site and see what response I get. failing that I may try some local high end dealers,and see what's offered, probably pretty low I am thinking.
    I do want to sell it, so any other ideas welcome.

18. edgware14 Aug 26, 2019

You're 194 posts away from selling it here. Not sure what other advice people can give you.

JimJupiter likes this.
  19. ndgal Aug 26, 2019

Very nice & all original watch. Keep it that way. Please tell me the "Omega agents" are not the ones who put that nasty big scratch on the caseback.... It looks pretty fresh.. :(

Seaborg likes this.
  20. skipper Aug 27, 2019

That serial is just 900 odd from mine, so I'm guessing the extract would show a prod' date of first or second quarter 1965.

As others have eluded to, please do not go down the ebay route unless you're happy to have your leg lifted by some POS scroat, or if you really must, insist on no more than 5% through PP, as a deposit, the balance to be paid via bank transfer. This will reduce your potential buyer numbers for sure, but would be a price worth paying in my opinion. Good luck.