Forums Latest Members

Help! Wedding watch engraving

1. Cabela1414 Aug 28, 2019

Hi all.

I am a soon to be wife and openly admit the fact I know nothing about watches. Maybe twice a year I wear mine from fossil, but it hasn’t had a working battery in 3 years.

BUT, my fiancé is a watch lover— or whatever you all call those with a refine taste for time pieces. He has a collection of watches but nothing over the $200-300 price point as he grew up in a working class family and has been in school for most of his adult life. He works hard for our family, and never spoils himself.

He has always dreamed and drooled over OMEGA watches, and like the loving partner I am— I always dismissed his long tangents and extended visits to the watch display of the jewelry store, explaining a watch like that was many many years down the road for our budget— while secretly logging all of his comments under a folder in my computer called “horses” so that one day soon I could surprise him with the perfect watch. Trust me, the title horses garners no interest from him.

Fast forward, I have finally purchased a Pre-owned Seamaster, in excellent condition, to give him the morning of our wedding. I know he would like it engraved because he talks highly of his Colleagues’ engraved watches from their spouses.

I am looking for advice for

1) what part of the watch to engrave

2) what “time” related message you think would be best. (Our photographer will be giving it to him right before the ceremony, I want a real tear jerker so he’s ready to bawl when he sees me)

Some thoughts I have: “Until the end of time, I love you” “I love you more every second”

I really appreciate the help and advice and hope to God he’s not a part of this forum. If he is, hi babe. Surprise.

403AD54C-496D-4874-9028-F8A25685325E.jpeg
  2. FlyingSnoopy Aug 28, 2019

Less is more...
    I would suggest “I love you” and the smaller the better, more discreet
    Good luck

3. FlyingSnoopy Aug 28, 2019

ps. Very nice of you and excellent choice

Cabela1414 likes this.
  4. Mycroft Aug 28, 2019

5. Otterina Aug 28, 2019

This is such a sweet story! You should share the photos of the Mr. bawling when he sees the watch on this forum!!

Like @FlyingSnoopy I also think a shorter phrase would be appropriate. And since it should be a special message from you with subjective meaning, I dare not give you any suggestions. ;)
    However I'd be happy to help you brainstorm because I have some (now useless) experience crafting wedding invitations and cards. Congratulations on the beautiful choice & your wedding!

Cabela1414 and DaveK like this.
  6. ilayd Aug 28, 2019

Not sure what phrase you can write, but I agree that a smaller note is better so as not to crowd the watch features as well. You definitely want to inscribe the back of the watch and on the watch head itself. Bracelets can be replaced, but a watch will last a while. Most people engrave the caseback (the removable portion that covers the mechanism).

Cabela1414 likes this.
  7. Mycroft Aug 28, 2019

) might work well as well. It’s very discrete, original and no one apart from you two will know the meaning.
    Consider engraving it on the buckle as to not lower the value of the watch.
    Congratulations for your wedding

Cabela1414 likes this.
  8. Mycroft Aug 28, 2019

A

9. Mycroft Aug 28, 2019

Congratulations on your wedding.
    May I suggest a more original and artistic solution, namely your own simple drawing of a few letters with meaning. One idea is to draw a rounded L (love) and integrate in the drawing both of your initial. Another idea is to use F (forever) whatever works better with your initials. This is more romantic and only you two will know the meaning.
    My advice is to engrave it on the buckle as to not reduce the value of a precious watch.

10. guwipa Aug 28, 2019

Wow,
    congratulation to your future hubby to have such a wonderful wify :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And the watch you've elected is one of my personal sweet spots from Omega. My advice in terms of engraving the watch would always be to only do it on the caseback. There is plenty of place for your wedding date and your 'til the end of time (great words as I think and up to that occasion).

Here is some reading pleasure and pics how it could look like at the end of the day

https://omegaforums.net/threads/pros-cons-to-engraving-watch-back.96465/

Cheers,

Winny

Edited Aug 28, 2019
    larryganz, Cabela1414 and DaveK like this.
  11. kkt Aug 28, 2019

What a lucky man!

I think it would be funny to engrave a horse, if there's space. But it's possible he might not share the humor :)

I'd also recommend the caseback, and something fairly discreet. Perhaps your initials and his and the wedding date? As posted above, engraving on the watch does diminish the value if it is sold, but if he sells it he's a cad who deserves whatever loss of value he gets.

Best wishes to you both!

Sidnos and Cabela1414 like this.
  12. boraxman Aug 28, 2019

Congrats! Dont engrave it.

13. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Aug 28, 2019

Congratulations, a beautiful idea.

How about ‘01/01/19 until forever’ date being your wedding day? Also, on the watch back - ignore resale impact it is a treasure between you two.

Cabela1414 likes this.
  14. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 28, 2019

My birthday is coming up, I am going to share this post with my wife :whistling:. All my watches are on straps, so a question to the peanut gallery here, is this bracelet going to be adjustable enough (without tools) for the lucky guy to comfortably wear on the big day? Or, would Cabela1414 need to measure his wrists in his sleep to get it adjusted in advance?

15. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Aug 28, 2019

Perhaps she can get a measure off one of his collection while he is out??

kkt, Cabela1414 and DaveK like this.
  16. Evitzee Aug 28, 2019

Keep it short and simple. The classic one is the Rolex Daytona given to Paul Newman by his wife inscribed simply as "Drive Carefully, Me".

Maybe put a significant date and a word or two.

17. Cabela1414 Aug 28, 2019

I’ve been thinking about this— would love for someone to weigh in. He has other watches that I could snag, would a jeweler(or whoever does this kind of thing) be able to size this watch accordingly? I made sure the watch I was purchasing had a max wrist size larger than his.

18. Cabela1414 Aug 28, 2019

I stay at home with our little one currently so I definitely have the ability to take a watch without him noticing. I was thinking I would take both watches to a jeweler with me for sizing.

19. Cabela1414 Aug 28, 2019

Because of resale value?

20. Sidnos Aug 28, 2019

One of the best threads I’ve read and congratulations!

IMO if you want to engrave it, you definitely should and it’s resale value is unimportant in this situation. If it was me it would make that watch something special even if he goes on to have a hundred more (which is a strong possibility!).

From my perspective, something personal that means something between you both with a cheeky/humorous twist would be my choice. Again, just my tuppence worth.

Great gift and a lucky boy!

Enjoy your day.

DaveK likes this.