Forums Latest Members

Pros & Cons to engraving watch back?

1. hmss007 Jun 7, 2019

Hi all,

I have a birth year (2000) Omega SMPq 2541.80 that I'm giving my son for his high school graduation. I'm thinking of having the back engraved commemorating the occasion.

I'd love to hear any pros or cons to doing this? I do have a couple of thoughts...

1) If I do get it engraved, what should I look for to find someone that can do it and not damage the watch?

2) Would they need to remove the case back to do the engraving? Wouldn't that then break the seal for waterproofing (I had the watch serviced earlier this year)?

3) How would it affect the resale (in the event my son wanted to sell it someday - he better not!)? Can replacement case backs be found and would it affect the value?

Thanks in advance for your comments. Here are some pictures of the watch. (from the listing I purchased it from last year)
    s-l1600 (0).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg

2. guwipa Jun 7, 2019

Wonderful idea imho.

Do that and don't care about its worth while reselling it later on. I can't imagine that your son ever would do that with something which is such a personalized gift.

For engraving the caseback needs to be off. More challenging could be to find an engraver to do that Job properly enough to get the writing well balanced between the holes.

And if you have to consider disinheritating him one day, it is easily done to get a replacement caseback from an AD :D:D

PS: I should read the whole writing before answering it:)

No, it is an easy Job to get the the caseback off and Keep the sealing in place with the watchcase. That won't damage the seal (if only a year has passed since overhaul).

And for engraving just ask a local jeweller if he thinks to get the Job done.

Edited Jun 7, 2019
    64Wing, WatchShopping and Foo2rama like this.
  3. hmss007 Jun 7, 2019

Thanks, @guwipa for the advice. I'll take it to my jeweler and see if they can do it. Great news about it not affecting the seal.

4. wagudc Jun 7, 2019

I inherited a watch my dad received from my grandfather for his college graduation. To me it makes it more special. Yes, it would effect the resale value, but you are not giving your son an investment. You are giving him what will become an heirloom. Judging by your avatar I am guessing you are near Seattle. I would see if Nisbett's can do the engraving, and if not who do they recommend.

WatchShopping likes this.
  5. hmss007 Jun 7, 2019

Thanks @wagudc, my thought exactly - I'm hoping this becomes an heirloom and something he treasures. Good idea about Nesbit's, I'll give them a call.

I also heard back from my local Omega Boutique and they have recommended "Buddy Austin of Third Eye Assembly", his site looks like he does some amazing work. Not sure I'm looking for something complicated.

..and Go Dawgs!

6. hmss007 Jun 7, 2019

One more update for the local Seattle area, I just called Nesbit's and the engraver they recommended has retired. But, they did say a new engraver to the area reached out to them named "Buddy Austin" (see my last post) and they gave me his number. So now both Nesbit's and the Omega Boutique have referred me to Buddy. Hope to chat with him soon.

7. Longbow Jun 7, 2019

Why don’t you just ask for a replacement caseback from Omega and ask them to laser engrave whatever text it is you want on the new one? When the new one arrives (complete with engraving) you can get them swapped over at the OB and retain the original in the (unlikely) event that you want to re-set it back to original.

8. hmss007 Jun 7, 2019

That is a great idea @Longbow. The boutique did say I can get a replacement case back for $139.

I might not have time to do this (as I realized I wanted to do this and graduation is only a week away) :) But I'm going to try. Either way, getting a replacement case back now to put in the box with the service parts might just be a great idea.

Thank you!

Benbradstock, Twehttam and Longbow like this.
  9. jpjsavage Jun 7, 2019

I think you'd need to be certain about your son's willingness to keep the watch for the long term. I think buying a watch with an engraving is a big no no for most collectors. Getting a spare case back is probably a good shout just in case he wants to move it on in the future.

greyfox422 and Benbradstock like this.
  10. 3rdstringholder Jun 7, 2019

That's exactly what I would do!

Benbradstock and rohnin like this.
  11. hmss007 Jun 7, 2019

I've asked my boutique to order me a case back for the 2541.80. I'll have that engraved - as suggested - and then have my boutique swap the backs. Thanks for the suggestion - would not have thought of this otherwise. :)

greyfox422 likes this.
  12. sierra11b Jun 7, 2019

New case back is a fantastic idea! I have a Dornbluth 99.1 with last name and date engraved on the watch movement for my first and only newborn son in '13.

It isn't going anywhere for obvious reasons, but I really did it because I tend to come down with flipitius now and again. Luckily it's an easy watch to fall back in love with time and time again.

Taddyangle likes this.
  13. Longbow Jun 8, 2019

Did you also ask Omega to do the engraving in Switzerland? If not I can strongly recommend it, the results will be of the same high quality (deep cut, straight sides) as the text you get on a 60th Anniversary Trilogy LE caseback.

B6DCABCA-06FD-490B-BC4F-662431241405.jpeg

Infinitely nicer than those vibrating pen engravings you normally see.

Edited Jun 8, 2019
    nlogax likes this.
  14. hmss007 Jun 8, 2019

I didn’t think that was an option. I’ll ask my OB if it’s something that can be done.

15. Longbow Jun 8, 2019

It is, PM sent.

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 14, 2019

This is a very fast engraving :unsure:

17. ras47 Jun 15, 2019

larryganz and DaveK like this.
  18. Canuck Jun 15, 2019

I doubt even a skilled engraver could apply engraving so that it made sense. Have the buckle engraved. If one of you changes your mind, you can change the buckle.

Some years ago, a movie called The Edge was produced. It starred Anthony Hopkins, Elle MacPherson, Alec Baldwin, “Bart” the bear, and others. There were two Omega James Bond Watches in that movie which were to have the backs engraved. The engraver refused the job unless he could put the backs on a lathe and remove the die-struck hippocampus logo from the backs before he engraved them! Omega was paying dearly for the spot, so they bitched about defacing the watches. The producers bitched. The engraver got his way. The backs were machined plain, and the engraving done.

Edited Jun 15, 2019
    DaveK likes this.
  19. tzachi Jun 15, 2019

Great idea for a heirloom.

The modern laser engraving is deep and accurate. jewel manufactures use that , all you need to find is a local in your area.

nlogax likes this.
  20. Chaz Goldenrod Jun 16, 2019

I always liked that film, never knew about the watch drama that went on behind the scenes! I’ll have to go back and watch it again.