Forums Latest Members

Help Required - Buying a Watch for Partner - Thinking Speed Moon

1. Dimples Jul 30, 2018

Morning, I am new on here and hoping my partner doesn't see that I have joined!! So its his 50th in September and I would love to get him a watch. He currently has an Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean. Photo Attached. He loves watches and the story behind them, which drew me to the Moonwatch. Now I know nothing about watches to be fair, but aware he does so I need to get this right! After reading on here and other forums, I learnt that the Omega Speed master Professional comes with a range of serial numbers. 3750.50.00 (which I believe has discontinued?) also on the Omega site is 311.30.42.30.01.005 / 311.30.42.30.01.006. So as you can see I am confused.com! Looking at a budget of 3.5k max. Any advice on model / where to buy etc would be good please. The steel strap by the way not leather.

Thank you in advance.:)

017.JPG
    flw likes this.
  2. Mtek Jul 30, 2018

3. Risto Jul 30, 2018

Well, the Moonwatch should be rather safe choice. It has great story and timeless design.
    The .006 has display back and sapphire crystal, .005 is classic moonwatch with hesalite crystal. I went for classic and love it.
    If you buy used model, then there's always question if it's all original or not and if it's been properly serviced.
    The price for old and new is almost the same if you buy from grey market dealer.
    In EU: https://www.uhrinstinkt.de/ and in USA: https://www.jomashop.com/ - just ask them about warranty.

4. Huus Jul 30, 2018

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2018

Given his first good one is a Planet Ocean your choice would make a rather excellent complimentary companion, and all of us here are thinking damn this guy married the right girl.

3570.50 used is probably the best bet, he won't mind used particularly in that watch.

Foo2rama and gostang9 like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jul 30, 2018

And the 2018 OFfie for "Thread Shown to Members' Spouses Most Often" goes to...

7. Dimples Jul 30, 2018

ha ha thank you guys - I am sure he will appreciate any gift, but as watch lovers, you will understand his disappointment if I got him a watch of that value and it wasn't what he would have chosen! So the 3570.50 is the original isn't it? The 311.30.42.30. I presume has replaced it? Would there be any preference if the choice was given? Am I right in thinking the 3570.50 would be classed as vintage and would hold its value over the years? or no difference at all to buying any other classic? sorry for asking such naïve questions but I do like to understand :). Thank you for the watch sale link. I think you said it was new but the advert indicates 'great condition', am I wrong?

8. gdupree Jul 30, 2018

Sounds like you've done a great job doing your research so far, bravo. To answer your questions, we'll have to unpack a little bit, as they're hard to answer because they're not exactly the right questions... again, totally commendable, but in the effort of best answering them, here you are...

As far as the modern "moonwatch" goes (by moonwatch, we mean a speedmaster professional with a hesalite crystal and solid case back), is has seen very little change since the moon landings in 1969. So for our discussion, they're all "originals"... In short, the only notable difference you will see in a moonwatch from say, 1997, all the way to one that you buy brand new in a store today, is that around 1997 they changed the dial from using tritium - a lightly radioactive substance used to make the hour markings and hands glow in the dark - to using a substance called "luminova". You will be able to tell this differerence in any speedmaster you see by looking at the bottom of the dial, just under there 6 o'clock marker where it says "swiss made". On a tritium model, it will say "T swiss made T" (T for tritium). On a luminova model, it will omit the T's... Over time, tritium is known to decay and usually turn to a creamy yellow color, and eventually will stop glowing. Luminova doesn't do this, and will stay bright white over time, and will retain it's glowing properties. Functionally luminova is better, but collectors like tritium because it ages and shows an attractive (in the opinion of many) age over time. We around here would generally not call any model made after the 1970's "vintage"... but if you were to take the term much more lightly, I guess you could call the tritium/luminova as some sort of line of demarcation. Perhaps you could say a tritium model might "hold it's value" better as you ask, given that it has a slightly greater commonality with true vintage speedmasters, but it's really just speculation and there's probably not any reason believe that or to let that be a deciding factor.

So, if you're trying to decide on a model for your partner, every model past 1997 is essentially identical. From there you can simply decide what condition you want the watch to be in, do you want it to have all of its original box and papers, do you want it to have it's manufactures warranty, etc... If you're looking at something older than that, then the rabbit hole goes deeper and we can totally have that conversation. But, it sounds like you and your budget are honed in on a modern speedy. Cheers. Let us know if you have more questions.

Skrv, chanbar, Steve88M3 and 5 others like this.
  9. Dimples Jul 30, 2018

That's a great reply - thank you. I have since discovered that the 3570.50.00 was replaced by the 311.30.42.30.01.005 and the 3573.50.00 was replaced with the 311.30.42.30.01.006. The 3570 plexi glass / 3573 sapphire glass. I think I have it sussed HA she says! The only real difference I can tell between these 2 models is that the 006 has a transparent case back and has a domed scratch resistant sapphire crystal front rather than the 005 has an enclosed engraved case with Hesalite crystal. The 006 appears to be more pricey too.

10. gdupree Jul 30, 2018

Good research. That's correct... This is why I clarified that when we say "moonwatch" we are talking about the hesalite/non-display-back model. The Sapphire/display back models we generally put in a different category and aren't considered by most to be 'true' moonwatches... It may seem minor, and sapphire may seem superior on paper, but when it's in your hand its a much bigger difference than you think.

Because the sapphire is so hard, it's difficult to shape it into the same "dome" that the hesalite has. So it has a much more flat face to the crystal, and more dramatic 'corners' or edges on it - versus the hesalite that has a much smoother dome throughout. Sapphire also reflects the light differently. Some describe the sapphire crystals as having a milky blue or white "halo" sort of glow when it reflects light, where as hesalite just has a natural pretty way it reflects. That's just opinion though, take it for what it's worth.

Frankly I don't even know the exact difference between the 3570.50.00 and the 311.30.42.30.01.005, I think from my memory it might literally be as minuscule as different pins in the bracelet. Which is why I say that for all intents and purposes, the watches itself are identical since 1997. But I'm far more of a vintage speedy guy, so full disclosure there. :)

11. hanky6 Jul 30, 2018

To help you decide(maybe) here are the two different looks:
    Tritium and Hesalite
    241E6A51-0B9C-4464-B89C-D83D903E7233.jpeg

SuperLuminova and Sapphire
    B10E4F50-1200-4A3A-9C21-8397B00C8362.jpeg

Compare the colours on the hour markers and also the luminous part of the hands.
    And the Sapphire has a ring on its outer edge that alter the look of the watch a bit.

Hopes this helps

gdupree likes this.
  12. many Jul 30, 2018

If I was you I'd get a 311.30.42.30.01.005. You can find brand new ones with Omega warranties for right around 3.5K.

watchos likes this.
  13. ANALOGUE Jul 30, 2018

I might be boring, but I would prefer to choose myself :)

14. time flies Jul 30, 2018

Didn't we just go through pretty much this same thing a couple of months ago?

have fun
    kfw

15. gostang9 Jul 30, 2018

16. SteveZ28 Jul 30, 2018

watchos likes this.
  17. time flies Jul 30, 2018

18. mayankyadav Jul 30, 2018

You already got enough information for the moonwatch ( the 005 as you say it ).
    Just know these 2 things -
    1- This is not going to be waterproof. ( your partner wears a planet ocean right now and thats a diver`s watch). So keep in mind that he will have to probably take it out and keep it in pockets if he is out and it starts raining( well to be fair , its water resistant to 50m but I keep it as far as possible from water).
    2- You can get a brand new watch with Omega international warranty and the shoe box sized presentation box along with some other goodies from authorized dealers for very close to $3500.

19. gostang9 Jul 30, 2018

This has been debunked many times as not true. I have a modern Speedmaster Professional, it has had the dial and hands changed and caseback removed several times. It was tested by @Archer and passed the necessary water resistance tests. I have no fears wearing it out in the rain or while swimming. I would not activate the chrono functions while swimming, and I don't dive beyond the 2.5 m depth in my backyard pool, but for minor water activities I have full confidence in my Speedmaster.

Should someone really want a deep diving watch, sure, the Speedmaster isn't the right watch. However, saying to "keep it in pockets if he is out and it starts raining..." is overly cautious for a modern watch tested annually for water resistance (as any diver should also be tested).

20. mayankyadav Jul 30, 2018

I dont know any
    A speedmaster’s water resistance is never going to be same as a PO’s ( which OP’s partner is wearing right now, so its important to bring that out)!
    That was the fundamental point I was trying to say.

Good for you that you take yours for swimming, I will not take mine..( accepted that I wont keep it in my pocket if it rains either)

Also, good for you and those who get ALL their watches tested ANNUALLY for water resistance. To me it looks like a little overkill. given a diver like PO and moonwatch both of which have not been tested for any water resistance for 5 years for example, I will still be confident about taking the PO in the pool and not the moonwatch.