Forums Latest Members
  1. Antigua08 Feb 21, 2018

Our 10th anny is coming up in June, and I am married to a watch-nerd who has never really been in a place to indulge in a nice Swiss movement just yet. The Omega Speedmaster would be his ultimate first Swiss. I have been squirreling away money for years, and have done a lot of research on these because,as a watch guy, and making this investment, I don't want to buy a clunker.... but my budget isn't crazy.... or maybe it is. Here is what I need help with...

1. Budget is $4,000 max all in. Is this even doable?
    2. I'm assuming it'd have to be pre-owned, but that leads to lots of scary possibilities...
    3. Best place to buy if you don't want a junker - I budgeted based on pricing I saw in jomashop, but that is never included in a "good place to buy" list in my research.
    4. Any other advice or thoughts on what to watch out for, what to avoid, questions to be sure to ask
    5. This is the "look" that he likes. Also trying to avoid the "First Watch on the Moon" engraving on the back..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

airansun and BenBagbag like this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 21, 2018

Why don't you want the First Watch On The Moon engraving? Personally, if you're spending that kind of money, get the professional, not the automatic. Pro is preferred by most watch nerds.

Pun, Jerseyhammer, gemini4 and 12 others like this.
  3. ac106 Feb 21, 2018

Contact @Kringkily and ask him to source 1 of 2 things

1) a NIB (new in box/full omega warranty) Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005. This is the latest version on a bracelet. This will be several hundered less than $4000. He just sold one for $3500. This will have the engraving on the back. Not sure why this is a potential dealbreaker.

2) a NIB Speedmaster "First Omega in Space". This is a reissue of one of the first Speedmasters and has some minor cosmetic differences than the regular Moonwatch. However it won't have the First Watch on the Moon engraving ( Why is this such an issue?)

The watch you posted is a Speedmaster Reduced. Lots of threads about it but generally to be avoided as it is smaller than the original Moonwatch and has an expensive + hard to service movement.

adi4, Baz9614, alam and 14 others like this.
  4. lillatroll Feb 21, 2018

Hello
    look on the for sale section here. You could also PM kringkily who sells on here. Tell him what you want and your budget. His reputation is second to none; I doubt there is a single member of this forum who would not buy a watch from him. As for point 5, unless you get an aftermarket case back, or a pre moon speedie then you can not avoid it.

You are a great wife doing this for your husband, if I was not married I might enquire as to whether you have a sister who is available :)

Edited Feb 21, 2018
  5. Lucasssssss Feb 21, 2018

You will certainly get replies which are more well informed than this one. But I will do my best.

1) It certainly is doable, if you are looking for something modern you can get the 'profesional' or the reduced. The latter is automatic with the former being manually wound. Both can be had for under $4k USD.

2+3) it need not be scary, there are many people in here who can point you in the right direction, I would also advise looking at the sales posts on here from esteemed members.

4) There is a huge amount of Speedmasters out there, and it is really worth considering various models. I personally own a 'First Omega In Space', which has straight lugs rather than the twisted lyre lugs, such as that you have shown in the pictures above. But there are many many colourful, or monochrome options.

BenBagbag likes this.
  6. Antigua08 Feb 21, 2018

It's just a weird thing - not a deal breaker. the thought being it feels more commercialized. If you're a true Speedmaster fan, you'd already know that, so why engrave it. Again - no dealbreaker, just personal preference liking the simple Speedmaster emblem.

7. BenBagbag Feb 21, 2018

+1 to everything above. Great advice.

I will be the one to recommend buying something with a return policy unless you are sure your husband wants the exact model you are buying. I never buy my wife something that can't be returned.

efauser and R3D9 like this.
  8. gdupree Feb 21, 2018

Totally understand that, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. For 'true' speedmaster fans, it will be much more important to have the real-deal, manual wind, speedmaster professional. If your husband is a watch nerd, then he will agree with us on that... If having no "first watch on the moon" on the case back is still a strong preference, the First Omega in Space is a great option as mentioned by @ac106.

You've come to the right place, and best of luck. Its a special thing, and he will love it that much more knowing that you put this much work into getting the right one.

Antigua08 likes this.
  9. R3D9 Feb 21, 2018

I would recommend ignoring that requirement in order to go with the Professional Speedmaster as recommended above.

The Speedy Pro is one of the few (if not the only) sub-5K watches that you can wear on your wrist and walk into a room full of mega-watch nerds and receive nearly unilateral respect from everyone in the room.

It’s a true classic and the perfect foundational watch for a collection.

I’ll add myself to the list of those who recommend @Kringkily - while I’ve not yet had the pleasure of buying a watch from him, his reputation on this forum is excellent.

Antigua08 and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  10. R3D9 Feb 21, 2018

Oh, and get the version with the hesalite crystal... not the sapphire. It’s cheaper and most people prefer it anyways.

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 21, 2018

What is the size of his wrist? This too should be a factor.

FYI, the backside of the watch is rarely seen.

R3D9 likes this.
  12. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 21, 2018

Try a 3572.50 tritium version, it comes with a sapphire caseback. Within your budget on the used market (can't buy new). And I still rarely look at the caseback :)

upload_2018-2-21_9-19-43.png

upload_2018-2-21_9-19-0.png

Baz9614 and R3D9 like this.
  13. jimmyd13 Feb 21, 2018

Hi @Antigua08 and welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to add a couple of points to help you decide which Speedmaster you really want.

First, don't worry about budget. Unless you wanted a good vintage example (which you don't), you've got enough there to get a great watch.

Second, you need to understand that there are (very basically) two types of Speedmaster: the "professional" and the automatic or "reduced". To get a grasp of the differences, here's a bit of a history lesson: the original Speedmaster from 1957 all the way through to today is a manual winding watch. To make it go, you turn the crown and wind the spring. This is the watch that people know as " the" Speedmaster. Later, Omega brought out another version of the Speedmaster with an automatic movement. This watch is physically smaller (hence the name "reduced" ). The more complicated movement also results in higher maintenance costs; the dial has a different layout ;and, all in all, it is generally less desirable. Obviously i donkt know your husband but if heks a watch nerd then hekll be lusting after the professional and not the reduced.

Next, to the engraving on the back. To commemorate the moon landings in 1969 and to create more of a buzz about the Speedmaster, Omega added the engraving to the caseback in 1971. This is when the Speedmaster became known as the "Moonwatch". All Speedmasters after 1971 will have that engraving, unless it was a special, or limited, edition. If the engraving is a real deal breaker, look for the limited editions.

Finally, there are a few different sales sections on the forum. You won't have the privileges to write on those sections but you can view them. Take some time and have a look at the photographs - see what you think he would like the best. Then, come back here once you've narrowed down your wish list and the group can give you some more focused advice.

airansun, Antigua08 and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 21, 2018

Basically brand new speed master full box is currently on the forum for under 3500.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/fso...-hesalite-311-30-42-30-01-005-new-2018.71315/

Pay 170 for a sapphire see through caseback.... pay watchmaker 40 dollars to swap the back.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-Cas...515953?hash=item1ca12317f1:g:3UIAAOSw4Qdafvj6Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

No more engraving.

Someone can link the better caseback I forget who it is. Also you can get the see through back custom engraved for your husband on the outer ring.

Edited Feb 21, 2018
  15. Kmart Feb 21, 2018

Great idea! :thumbsup:

Foo2rama likes this.
  16. dscoogs Feb 21, 2018

+1 to what's been said. In addition, if you don't like the "First Watch on The Moon" engraving for the Speedy Pro, and if you don't like the "First Omega in Space" engraving for the FOIS, there is an Apollo 11 30th anniversary model - ref 3560.50 - with this engraving:

0.JPG

Edited Feb 21, 2018
    oddboy and Albe100 like this.
  17. ac106 Feb 21, 2018

FTFY

dscoogs likes this.
  18. mayankyadav Feb 21, 2018

You will get a brand new in less than 4 k USD from an AD :)

19. dscoogs Feb 21, 2018

Thank you!

20. Caliber561 Feb 21, 2018

If I remember correctly, you might be able to snatch a vintage 145.022-69 from some forum members here who have listed theirs in the sales section of this forum. Those pieces have the aesthetically pleasing tritium lume, stepped dial, and hippocampus caseback with no man on the moon engraving ;)