[Help] Reference numbers for Omega watches made in 1988

Hello guys, I recently started collecting watches and would like to buy a birth year watch to celebrate my birthday.

I have set my eyes on Speedmaster Reduced since it was introduced in my birth year. (and speedy Pro doesn't work on my small wrist)

1. After intensive Googling on various sites, the serial number for Year 1988 is missing, can anyone tell me the reason behind it?

2. How can anyone tell whether the watch was made in 1988 without the serial number method?

Would appreciate any help, thanks a lot!

2. How can anyone tell whether the watch was made in 1988 without the serial number method?
Extract of the Archives.

If the year is very important, you should probably hunt down a watch with the original paperwork.

Like 1
Please see this:

upload_2024-2-29_13-8-41.jpeg
The fact there is no entry for 1988 doesn’t mean that Omega watches weren’t made that year. I would say that watches that were made with between a 50.7M and 51.0M are more likely to have been made in 1988.

For a complete answer, you will need to wait for Omega to start providing research services again.

If the year is very important, you should probably hunt down a watch with the original paperwork.

Original paperwork will only show when a watch was originally sold, not when it was produced. Just a matter of which is more important to our OP.
gatorcpa

Like 2
Don't trust a serial table like the above. They are not remotely reliable and aren't consistent across movement types, especially post 1980 or so. It is perfectly possible that no single Speedy Reduced from 1988 to 1990 has a 50m serial for instance, though I don't know that for a fact. The earliest Reduced models are identifiable by a couple of things. Firstly they have only the word Omega on the snap on caseback, later models have a more ornate hippocampus and secondly they are identified only by the case number as the PIC system was not yet in use. Another way is to do your homework and look at the serial numbers of enough examples to discern the pattern (which works but takes time), but as noted already, your best bet really is to find one with papers dated 1988.

Read up on the Reduced. It comes with servicing complications and buying one in less than tip top condition is a bad idea.

Like 2
Extract of the Archives.
It is very very unlikely you'd find a Speedy Reduced with one.

Don't trust a serial table like the above. They are not remotely reliable and aren't consistent across movement types, especially post 1980 or so. It is perfectly possible that no single Speedy Reduced from 1988 to 1990 has a 50m serial for instance, though I don't know that for a fact. The earliest Reduced models are identifiable by a couple of things. Firstly they have only the word Omega on the snap on caseback, later models have a more ornate hippocampus and secondly they are identified only by the case number as the PIC system was not yet in use. Another way is to do your homework and look at the serial numbers of enough examples to discern the pattern (which works but takes time), but as noted already, your best bet really is to find one with papers dated 1988.

Read up on the Reduced. It comes with servicing complications and buying one in less than tip top condition is a bad idea.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply and the suggestion.
Regarding the service complications, can you explain a little bit more? I would love to hear about it.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply and the suggestion.
Regarding the service complications, can you explain a little bit more? I would love to hear about it.
There are many threads on this topic if you search. The Speedmaster reduced uses a modular chronograph movement that many independent watchmakers don't want to service and/or don't service properly. So they often are in need of expensive servicing by the manufacturer.

The automatic Speedmasters that use cal 7750 variants are better in this respect. Robust and proven movements that are easier to have serviced.

Like 1
Fellow '88 year here. Wish you all the luck in your search but I'll tell you, I've been casually looking for almost four years now for a produced in 1988 example, and I can tell you it's not a common year for mechanical Omegas. I've heard this mostly has to do with the quartz crisis but it's been challenging to say the least. Granted this has been for a Speedy Pro search, so maybe your Speedy reduced search will be more fruitful. Looking forward to seeing you find one though!

Like 1
There are many threads on this topic if you search. The Speedmaster reduced uses a modular chronograph movement that many independent watchmakers don't want to service and/or don't service properly. So they often are in need of expensive servicing by the manufacturer.

The automatic Speedmasters that use cal 7750 variants are better in this respect. Robust and proven movements that are easier to have serviced.
Thank you for the very useful information!

Fellow '88 year here. Wish you all the luck in your search but I'll tell you, I've been casually looking for almost four years now for a produced in 1988 example, and I can tell you it's not a common year for mechanical Omegas. I've heard this mostly has to do with the quartz crisis but it's been challenging to say the least. Granted this has been for a Speedy Pro search, so maybe your Speedy reduced search will be more fruitful. Looking forward to seeing you find one though!
Thanks for sharing! That also kinda explains the reasons behind the lack of serial numbers in 1987 and 1988 as well. I am sure there were some produced in these years but the lack of serial number made it "Hard to Date". Have to go through hundreds of offers online is not an easy task.
Good luck to you too!