Help please.. I'm new to Omega watches

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this watch, it's condition and maybe an estimated value?

From what I can gather it's 1944 and possibly a CK2162 (from what I can find on the web). It's a watch I'm considering buying as I really like the look of it but I would just like to find out a bit more about it.

If anyone could please help, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance xx

Will need much larger clearer photos of the dial to properly evaluate.

The position of the regulator are is concerning, it should be at the blue position indicating the watch needs at the very least a proper servicing.

Also note this is a very small watch, ca 30mm or less.

1090815_5-1.jpg

Like 1

The position of the regulator are is concerning, it should be at the blue position indicating the watch needs at the very least a proper servicing.

1090815_5-1.jpg[/QUOT

1090815_5-1.jpg

Thank you!! I will try and see if I can obtain a clearer photo in the next day or so.

I have been informed that the watch runs but that it may need a service so hopefully its nothing to sinister with the regulator. I don't even know what a regulator is , I know nothing about watches but I saw this one and just fell in love with the style.

However, as much as I love it, I don't really want to spend money on something that is broken or fake etc.

I really appreciate your time taken to respond!

Hi all,

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this watch, it's condition and maybe an estimated value?

From what I can gather it's 1944 and possibly a CK2162 (from what I can find on the web). It's a watch I'm considering buying as I really like the look of it but I would just like to find out a bit more about it.

If anyone could please help, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance xx
It's not a CK2162, which would be a stainless Swiss-cased watch with a completely different movement.

This appears to be a nationally cased Omega, possibly from the UK or a commonwealth country. I don't see a casemaker's mark. 9K gold means that the case doesn't add much value, it's quite small, and needs a service. So you should be cautious with how much you pay for it. Also, it's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but I have the sense that the case may be pink gold, but the hands are yellow gold? If so, that would bother me. As for condition, the dial looks a little mottled and faded, but not bad overall. The lugs seem to be chewed up, suggesting the possible use of a bracelet with spring-loaded endlinks.

If you address these questions (size, color mismatch of hands, etc.), maybe we could start to give you an estimated value. It would be very helpful if you would indicate the asking price. The more we have to go with, the more we can help you.
Edited:

Like 2
It's not a CK2162, which would be a stainless Swiss-cased watch with a completely different movement.

This appears to be a nationally cased Omega, possibly from the UK or a commonwealth country. I don't see a casemaker's mark. 9K gold means that the case doesn't add much value, it's quite small, and needs a service. So you should be cautious with how much you pay for it. Also, it's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but I have the sense that the case may be pink gold, but the hands are yellow gold? If so, that would bother me. As for condition, the dial looks a little mottled and faded, but not bad overall. The lugs seem to be chewed up, suggesting the possible use of a bracelet with spring-loaded endlinks.

If you address these questions (size, color mismatch of hands, etc.), maybe we could start to give you an estimated value. It would be very helpful if you would indicate the asking price. The more we have to go with, the more we can help you.

Thank you!! I'll fire off those questions and see what response I get and will share as soon as I can gather more info.

The asking price is $500 AUD.

I'm so glad I found this forum and decided to check first!

It's not a crazy asking price, but given the condition issues, the size, and the need for a service, I'd probably be more comfortable in the $300-$400 AUD range. Figure you may need to invest another $300-$500 AUD for repair/service in the near future. And then if you tire of it, you certainly won't get your money back. That said, I'd only buy it if I really liked it, because you never really know what you are getting into with such an old watch.

These small watches can be hard to sell. While they were men's watches at the time, they are really too small for almost all men these days, and relatively few women collect vintage watches.

It's not a crazy asking price, but given the condition issues, the size, and the need for a service, I'd probably be more comfortable in the $300-$400 AUD range. Figure you may need to invest another $300-$500 AUD for repair/service in the near future. And then if you tire of it, you certainly won't get your money back.

These small watches can be hard to sell. While they were men's watches at the time, they are really too small for almost all men these days, and relatively few women collect vintage watches.

Haha, well, that's good because I'm a woman and I have small wrists . I'll see if I can negotiate on the price using my new found knowledge and get some more info.

Like 5
IMO, it is a buyer's market for women who like to wear vintage men's watches. There are some fantastic high quality watches in the 30-32mm range, that are just not desirable for most men, at least to wear. Some men collect them anyway, of course.

Like 2
I don't even know what a regulator is

The regulator is used to adjust the time keeping, it should be centered (blue arrow). A = advance (faster) R = retard (slower). While on the subject of the movement we should address the overall condition, which doesn't look good, note the mismatched coloring of the plates, yellow arrows indicate the loss of plating on this bridge which should match the color of the other side of the movement, not a good sign.

1090815_5-1.jpg

One other thing to note is the watch appears to have fixed lugs, this is where the strap attaches to the case. Most watches have removable bars "spring bars" enabling one to easily remove/replace the strap. Fixed bars greatly limit the number of available straps and the ease with winch they can be changed.

I actually think @Dan S pricing at $300-$400 AUD range is a bit optimistic, I's say more like $150-$250 AUD.

Don't get hung up on the first watch you "fall in love with", take your time, learn, explore and enjoy the ride.

Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 10.50.50 AM.png
Edited:

Like 4
The regulator is used to adjust the time keeping, it should be centered (blue arrow). A = advance (faster) R = retard (slower). While on the subject of the movement we should address the overall condition, which doesn't look good, note the mismatched coloring of the plates, yellow arrows indicate the loss of plating on this bridge which should match the color of the other side of the movement, not a good sign.

1090815_5-1.jpg

One other thing to note is the watch appears to have fixed lugs, this is where the strap attaches to the case. Most watches have removable bars "spring bars" enabling one to easily remove/replace the strap. Fixed bars greatly limit the number of available straps and the ease with winch they can be changed.

I actually think @Dan S pricing at $300-$400 AUD range is a bit optimistic, I's say more like $150-$250 AUD.

Don't get hung up on the first watch you "fall in love with", take your time, learn, explore and enjoy the ride.

Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 10.50.50 AM.png

Just as a quick update. I have decided to pass on the watch. Everyone's advice and expertise has been greatly appreciated!

I also ran it by another omega collector and he noted that the internal workings didn't seem to fit with the watch style.. he seemed to think that it has likely been modified from an originally square watch (as the workings are rectangular and not circular).

A comparison photo is attached.

I'm not sure about the internal working side of things.. but after your advice and learning a bit more, I think I just need to pass on this watch.

If anyone ever comes across a similar design that is genuine, please let me know.

Thank you again for your advice and guidance! It's greatly appreciated

Xx

I also ran it by another omega collector and he noted that the internal workings didn't seem to fit with the watch style.. he seemed to think that it has likely been modified from an originally square watch (as the workings are rectangular and not circular).

A completely incorrect assumption and very amateur. The caliber R17.8/302 was used in many round Omegas.˜
Edited:

Like 3
Oh no!! Can I ask how people learn about this stuff? Are there any resources or courses etc?

I would love to learn about what I'm supposed to look for, what's good, bad or dodgy.

Oh no!! Can I ask how people learn about this stuff? Are there any resources or courses etc?

I would love to learn about what I'm supposed to look for, what's good, bad or dodgy.

I’ve posted this before……

one either studies and looks at zillions of original examples spending months and years honing your eye.. or one pays extra money to someone else who spent their time and efforts to know the good from the bad and are willing to sell.

really no shortcut

luck sometimes pays dividends and you can skip all the learning and all the extra dollars.

since you are on a collector’s site and if you want to gain great knowledge, start with all the threads here dating back to 2012-13 and start honing your eye.

there are a few books written by some of our members that will be helpful.

we all started where you are now, it is up to you what direction you want to go.

enjoy

Google is your friend and a secondary tool

Like 1
Although I'm not interested in this watch I picked up useful information just reading this thread.