Forums Latest Members

Help please! I need advice for a watch I am buying (or not)

1. Raphael25 May 23, 2020

I am about to buy this watch for a fair price, the movement is 620, the reference is 5110406, I believe is from the seventies. The movement has stopped but it is quite clean, the owner says it only needs some cleaning. I really don't know but it could be a good deal. I also couldn't find any dials that have these patterns, but everything looks fine to me, what would you tell me? Thanks in advance!

20200524_012935.jpg 20200524_012924.jpg
  2. timecube May 23, 2020

It could be a good deal.
    It could be a money pit.
    It could be unfixable.
    The pictures are lousy. Has the seller provided any more?
    Preferably in better focus/higher resolution.

How much are they asking?
    How much are you willing to spend to get it working again?

DaveK likes this.
  3. Raphael25 May 23, 2020

They're asking U$100, but the guy selling says the watch was his father's and he only cares for the money and he knows nothing about watches. I don't know how much I would spend fixing it, is it expensive to fix a hand wind watch? The movement seems pretty reasonable to me

4. timecube May 23, 2020

If the seller is correct and all it needs is cleaning/lubrication, servicing might cost you $200-$300. If parts are broken and need to be replaced it could be quite a bit more.

OTOH, with any vintage watch you buy, regardless of provenance you should always budget a few hundred dollars for servicing regardless, unless you have proof of recent service and a warrantee. You might get lucky, and for $100+$200 , walk away with a nice watch at the end of this. Or it could be a lot more than that. It's impossible to tell.

Als 27, DaveK and Raphael25 like this.
  5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2020

Cal 620 is really small & often used in small ladies watches - it was only about 18mm wide. Have you seen the watch, or do you know how big it is?

Looking at the pictures, it might only be 25mm & that's tiny for a male wrist in the modern world.

Raphael25 and BatDad like this.
  6. Raphael25 May 24, 2020

It is 26mm, I know it's small but I have a really thin wrist, it doesn't bother me at all then, but thanks for the tip!

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 24, 2020

I'm having trouble resolving these two statements... He knows nothing about watches, yet knows the watch only needs a cleaning?

A real cleaning requires disassembling and reassembling the movement, so 'only needs a cleaning' isn't simply spraying some 409 or Windex on the movement. As others have mentioned above, there may or may not be some parts replacement needed.

Assuming you can get it cleaned for $250 or so your total outlay will be $350, which isn't that bad if you like the looks of it and will enjoy wearing it.

Raphael25 likes this.