Help needed to identify this watch

Hi,

I believe this to be an Omega Constellation from the late sixties that was purchased by the owner in the US but that’s about all I know. Can anyone help identify it? There is considerable damage to the dial where the numerals/markers have been removed.

Ideally the owner would like to find a replacement dial or failing that the other option would be to have it re-dialled.

Problem with redial is we cannot find any pictures of this model at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Will upload photos once I can get passed the grumpy cat:)
Andrew
Edited:

Press Add Photos
Press Photo Library
Select photos
Press Add at the top of your selection
You will automatically be returned to this page
Wait for the photos to upload
Press Insert all Photos
Press Reply

Forgot to press reply! Now there are loads!

sorted now I think.

Other bits of info - I think mvmt was made by Piaget for Omega…?
Edited:

Caliber 700 was indeed based on a Piguet design.

The dial markings were likely similar to the ones in the attached photo, very minimal.

Please confirm the numbers noted, the first is the serial number which will date the watch, the second is the reference number.

PHOTO-2022-09-03-19-05-49 3.jpg PHOTO-2022-09-03-19-05-49 2.jpgIMG_0204.jpg

Have asked about first number. Second set of numbers in case back are A08151 and 311.088 below.

thanks.

Apparently it had marks for every hour, constellation, a star and Omega on the dial.

Serial number dates the watch to ca 1967.

Although the reference number for this model as marked is 311.088 I have been unable to find a match in my reference books nor on Google.

I also did several searches using just the caliber number (700) but have come up empty on that as well.

I think having it restored by Omega is the sane choice

Omega has a lot of one of a kind oddities like this watch, sadly no demand yet, so maybe sell it as it is instead of pushing something wrong onto something so rare

Also maybe it's the photos but I can't see any damage to the dial, I assumed it was one of the simple dials Omega made

Thanks for the comments. I think getting omega to look at it might be best but I imagine could be pricey. Maybe getting authenticity cert might show up some more details.

I know it sounds harsh but to me that watch being 18kt has 'melting pot' written all over it.

If it doesn't have sentimental value and you don't love the design then I certainly wouldn't put any money into it, be it for an Authenticity certificate (Extract from the Archives) @ 120CHF + tax, or servicing which would probably be at least a couple hundred €.

These have next to no modern appeal nor collectability due to their size, design and integrated bracelet and as such the value is pretty much purely in the gold plus a little bit for the movement.

I know it sounds harsh but to me that watch being 18kt has 'melting pot' written all over it.

If it doesn't have sentimental value and you don't love the design then I certainly wouldn't put any money into it, be it for an Authenticity certificate (Extract from the Archives) @ 120CHF + tax, or servicing which would probably be at least a couple hundred €.

These have next to no modern appeal nor collectability due to their size, design and integrated bracelet and as such the value is pretty much purely in the gold plus a little bit for the movement.

I have to agree (unless it does have sentimental value).
But even then, can spending a considerable amount on a relatively undesirable item ever replace the non-tangible value of memories.

By the way turns out there was 12.500 700 movements made, seems quite high considering it's not seen much - maybe the target audience isn't the kind to let a watch go to market

By the way turns out there was 12.500 700 movements made, seems quite high considering it's not seen much - maybe the target audience isn't the kind to let a watch go to market
Or they have all been melted and the movements binned!

Forgot to press reply! Now there are loads!

sorted now I think.

Other bits of info - I think mvmt was made by Piaget for Omega…?
Not made by Piaget, famed for their super slim dress watches, actually made by different company Frederic Piguet. Omega has a long history of appropriating movements from that house. The more recent 3303 and 3313 chronograph are reworked F Piguet designs.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&171&2uswk&Omega_700

Or they have all been melted and the movements binned!

Is this really that common, what's the percentages do you think of solid gold watches getting melted if they hit an estate auction, from your statement I'd guess it's around 90%?

Is this really that common, what's the percentages do you think of solid gold watches getting melted if they hit an estate auction, from your statement I'd guess it's around 90%?
I think it rather depends on the watch. Obviously branded stuff that is recognisable and clearly worth significantly more than melt and in good condition would be worth keeping intact but for tatty stuff or less fashionable pieces, ie 1970s stuff, If it outweighs itself, ie there is a very large gold value and the watch isn't anything seen as desirable then yes, most dealers will buy it at maybe 80-90% of gold value and melt it to extract their profit. IMO The OP watch would be unlikely to survive if purchased by a jeweller or gold buyer, whereas a gold Datejust, Patek or dogleg Connie would.

As watch fans we would all no doubt prefer to keep such pieces as intact watches, but the trade can be quite brutal, business is business!

I think it rather depends on the watch. Obviously branded stuff that is recognisable and clearly worth significantly more than melt and in good condition would be worth keeping intact but for tatty stuff or less fashionable pieces, ie 1970s stuff, If it outweighs itself, ie there is a very large gold value and the watch isn't anything seen as desirable then yes, most dealers will buy it at maybe 80-90% of gold value and melt it to extract their profit. IMO The OP watch would be unlikely to survive if purchased by a jeweller or gold buyer, whereas a gold Datejust, Patek or dogleg Connie would.

As watch fans we would all no doubt prefer to keep such pieces as intact watches, but the trade can be quite brutal, business is business!

Exactly this, I've owned very, very nice 18kt watches that I couldn't sell due to the minimum price that I'd accept being gold melt and nobody was prepared to pay that. The two that spring to mind were both Baume & Mercier Baumatics, both with great 18kt screw back cases, in great shape with attractive dials, but the market is the market. In the end I stripped them myself and extracted the gold value. What's the alternative, that I sell them for a loss so next buyer can do the same?