Forums Latest Members
  1. excelsior88 Dec 30, 2021

I am looking for assistance identifying/valuing an Omega watch that I have.

Sadly, I have no historical information on this piece whatsoever, it was part of a lot of miscellaneous items I purchased.

I am only able to tell that it is a much older omega, I believe I identified the serial number and I know the band is not the original. But I have been unable to figure out anything else about it, i.e. caliber, model, etc..

Any help that you might be able to provide me would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the best pics I was able to take with my phone.

Thank you!

Watch in case face.jpg
    Movement.jpg
    View attachment 1343769

Case.jpg
    bubba48 and aggie like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 30, 2021

You have an American cased Omega movement imported into the US by Norman Morris Corp, the Omega agent in that era, thus the OXG import mark.

The 14K gold case was made for Norman Morris by Lutringer & Wittmer.

The serial dates the watch to sometime between 1940 to 1950.

I think the movement is from the R17.8 family of calibers, introduced about 1940.

It doesn't have an Omega "model" name, unless Omega USA listed one in their sales brochures, it is simply a "gents gold Omega Watch".

3. DON Dec 31, 2021

Get it off that bracelet which eats away the gold inside the lugs. Nice leather strap and crystal polish

Not keeping. Sell as is

DON

excelsior88 likes this.
  4. excelsior88 Dec 31, 2021

Thank you so much for the information! I guess my next question is, is what might this be worth? Does something like this have much value over the gold melt price? Is this a watch I should consider keeping and turning into a family heirloom type thing? Or because I don't have a history on it, is it something I should sell and try to make some money on?

5. Dan S Dec 31, 2021

The watch looks totally legit to me, but this style is not particularly desirable currently and it's not considered an Omega classic. That said, whether or not to keep it would seem to be primarily a matter of personal taste.