Forums Latest Members

Help me find a specific chocolate cake recipe

1. ConElPueblo Jun 16, 2021

This is driving me nuts.

Eight years or so ago, I found a recipe for an amazing chocolate cake recipe.

It had a sponge cake base and then two layers of first a chocolate mousse and then a cream (frozen between layering) and topped by a thin disc of dark chocolate and finally, just before serving, you pour chocolate sauce on it.

Something like this, but a bit lower and with a thin dark chocolate layer and then chocolate sauce on top:

[​IMG]

It was extremely good...

Trouble is that I cannot find the recipe anywhere now. I remember that the recipe blog had a name like "shogun/samurai/something oriental cook" and that the recipe was a modified version of some well-known cook.

Anyone? Please? :unsure:

JohnWoo, Dedalus05, Walrus and 2 others like this.
  2. Professor Jun 16, 2021

Does "Death by Chocolate" ring a bell?
    That may be the title of the recipe.
    I'll show your post to my sister, she is big on baking cakes and pastries and loves chocolate.

3. ghce Jun 16, 2021

Probably that cake is like an energetic virus in that everyone that eats it dies so fast that the recipe gets lost as all the cooks die!

JohnWoo and Stripey like this.
  4. Fallout Boy Jun 16, 2021

try a swiss-made-flavour ROLEX with -T- spices and " tropical " buttercream swirl :D

cake.jpg

OMEGA on demand....

JohnWoo, SpeedyPhill and Duracuir1 like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Jun 16, 2021

Cheers, thanks for all the help... :D

@Professor, if not death by chocolate, then at least severely injured by it. It didn't have a special name as far as I remember and while there is a plethora of cakes in the "death by..." category, this one was a bit more sophisticated. It took a fair bit of effort and had to be constructed over a few days.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 16, 2021

I'm on the list for one of them.
    Should hear from the patisserie in about two years.
    In the meantime I've bought two Black Forest Tortes, two Swiss Chocolate Ganache and I was also lucky to be sold a French Gâteau Moelleux au chocolat at a discount.

A lot of expense, but I am on the list.

blubarb, Darlinboy, JohnWoo and 10 others like this.
  7. Watch my Whisky Jun 16, 2021

ConElPueblo likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Jun 16, 2021

The one in my original post is lacking some key parts - the chocolate sauce, the two different components in the middle layers - and was just snatched from a website to give an impression of what I was after.

...I crave a good chocolate cake so bad now.

A bit of a correction: I just remembered that the chocolate sauce was poured over the cold mousse/cream and then the chocolate disc was placed on top of that, not the other way around.

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 16, 2021

Perhaps this is deserving of a sticky hit thread for baking noobs called ‘Learn How To Bake a Chocolate Cake’ :whistling:

Waltesefalcon and ahartfie like this.
  10. timecube Jun 16, 2021

That cake is sticky enough already.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  11. Just Livin Jun 16, 2021

12. watchcollect Jun 16, 2021

Joe_A likes this.
  13. Just Livin Jun 16, 2021

I think the fun will be for @ConElPueblo to make and sample all the suggested recipes over the weekend. Enjoy. Over indulge. Cope with dodgy tummy. Hang around the big white throne. And then decide on a kebab as his next meal ::confused2::

JohnWoo and Nathan1967 like this.
  14. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 16, 2021

Once again on the way tp going broke, my wife and I were partial to the finest French Restaurants in the US.
    Almost without exception on all of their OMG dessert menus were some sort of "Death by Chocolate".
    Rarely a cake but always super chocolate. Best was Mary Beth Luccioni's version at the old Le Francais :thumbsup:

15. cineaste Jun 16, 2021

I do not know what you consider finest, but my brief experience with Michelin starred restaurants is that they rarely offer a full chocolate experience, usually things are more subtle and refined.

16. sxl2004 Jun 16, 2021

Touting my own horn here, but it is pretty chocolaty and nutty.

upload_2021-6-16_19-52-29.jpeg

JohnWoo likes this.
  17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 16, 2021

I believe I stated in the "US", so perhaps your much more sofficticate palate could direct me to a Michelin Star restaurant here in the US.
    Without exception I also found Lutece to be the best we ever dined and owner, Chef Andre Soltner, IMHO the best chef.
    I'm sure not up to your standards. Afterall, not as subtle, but delish for my unsophisticated tastes. BTW: My wife and I always held Creme Brulee as the standard by which all fine French restaurant dessert carts could be judged by. Please correct my grievous errors, Mr. High Society.

Edited Jun 16, 2021
  18. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 16, 2021

direct me to a Michelin Star restaurant here in the US. I stand corrected, how 'bout Daniels in New York ;)

19. perks713 Jun 16, 2021

Oh I’m totally following this thread, whenever this recipe is tracked down, I’m finding a way to convince my wife to make it.

JohnWoo, marcn and ahsposo like this.
  20. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 16, 2021

I love chocolate. I love cake. But boy... so many chocolate cakes just make me feel ill after even the tiniest slice. If this is as good as you're saying, I'm dying to see if anyone lands on the recipe.