Forums Latest Members

Help Me Decide: UG Polerouter vs IWC Cal. 852

1. jrmjrm Dec 18, 2020

Hi experts,

I am seeking input as I am effectively stuck deciding between two watches. I am looking for a great mid-century dress(ier) watch for my collection, and right now am considering a Universal Geneve Polerouter Date and a calatrava-style IWC cal. 852. Both of these watches check a lot of boxes for what I'm looking for in my collection: 1950s-1960s, steel, great movement (UG micro rotor 215, IWC pellaton automatic), clean dial with clear layout, 35-36 mm case.

I currently own the below Polerouter. While I do love how it wears on the wrist, my concern is the level of patina. I really enjoy it now, but my concern is that as my tastes evolve, I may come to appreciate it less and may prefer a cleaner example. I am considering the below IWC cal. 852 which is certainly in better condition than the polerouter I have, is a bit dressier, but is slightly more expensive.

Overall, the options I am considering now are a) keep and enjoy the Polerouter, b) sell the Polerouter for the IWC below, c) sell the Polerouter and search for a "better" example (of either Polerouter or IWC), or d) consider a different watch entirely. I know this is a personal decision with no "right" answer, but any input you'd be willing to offer helps. Thank you, in advance!

IMG_0114.jpeg s-l1600-1.jpeg

thelinendial, George.A and vlaspri like this.
  2. Dan S Dec 18, 2020

IWC hands down for me, not even close. Polerouters have their appeal, but I consider them a bit gimmicky in terms of aesthetics. The IWC is really a classic look. And as you mentioned, the dial of your particular Polerouter is badly damaged. For me, that is much more than patina.

You just need to decide if the scratch on the IWC dial will bother you.

3. TimeODanaos Dec 18, 2020

Darn it - Dan just said exactly all I wanted to say. There are some very special Pole(a)routers with glamorous backstories, but I'm guessing this is not one of those. Without that, if you compare the two watches in equal condition, the UG is great, but not in the IWC 852 league.

thelinendial, patrick1616 and jrmjrm like this.
  4. Shabbaz Dec 18, 2020

Sell the polerouter and put that money in a iwc. No brainer...

kristal, patrick1616, jrmjrm and 2 others like this.
  5. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 18, 2020

Completely disagree with the above, although the IWC is a beautiful watch, the classic design is available by most larger brands and you cannot say the same for the classic beauty of UG’s.

6. TimeODanaos Dec 18, 2020

That's more like it! ::popcorn::

jrmjrm and Dan S like this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 18, 2020

b or d. Not only is the IWC much more of a dress(ier) style watch, but the movement is far superior.

TimeODanaos and jrmjrm like this.
  8. jrmjrm Dec 18, 2020

Thanks all for the input. Was leaning towards the IWC as is, and I think your comments really cemented that for me.

Moving to the dial scratch... how big an issue is that? Should I wait for a better one to come along? This example is freshly serviced and attainable for a reasonable price (in my budget). Other than that, the dial and case look to be in great condition (better than many I've seen).

9. Diabolik Dec 18, 2020

Keep both. Failing that, sell me the polerouter.

10. arkman Dec 18, 2020

Sell the polerouter, buy the serviced IWC, and when funds allow, get a better polerouter example.

thelinendial, jrmjrm and patrick1616 like this.
  11. mmpass Dec 18, 2020

A)
    Polerouter look is unique.
    IWC may have a superior movement, but that dial is not pristine. The IWC looks nice, but not much different than other time only dress watch.
    Just my opinion.

12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 18, 2020

I'm no help. I love classic IWC time only watches. Have one myself and always like seeing them here on the Forum.

I sure could do with a Universal Geneve Polerounter as well. Especially one with those case lugs. It's one that's on the short list.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 18, 2020

The Polerouter is far more interesting than the IWC. Its also correct as far as I can tell. You should have no trouble selling it but the IWC is a yawner to me.

jumpingsecond, mmpass and FREDMAYCOIN like this.
  14. TimeODanaos Dec 18, 2020

Isn't it inevitable though that to be a real classic, there's the risk in the end of being a yawner? And the radical only derives its impact by comparison? So, no Dickens, no Joyce. Both watches are great imho, but the choice depends a bit on where the OP is on his personal trip. He may like to appreciate the classic first, and then the avant garde. 2c! :coffee:

jumpingsecond, mmpass and jrmjrm like this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 19, 2020

Great analogy.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  16. cchen Dec 19, 2020

+1 for the IWC. Classic, versatile watch.

jrmjrm likes this.
  17. timoss Dec 19, 2020

That’s why he should have both.

jrmjrm, Larry S and TimeODanaos like this.
  18. vlaspri Dec 19, 2020

My voice goes for IWC, this one looks fantastic!

jrmjrm likes this.
  19. timoss Dec 19, 2020

Definitely IWC. Never been a fan of the Polerouter. Too dated looking. Iwc is classic in the best sense of the word: timeless.

jrmjrm likes this.
  20. Dimitris Dec 19, 2020

As said above IWC had the heritage , better movement , more decorated one but the downside is that its strictly a dress watch , polerouter on the other hand is unique and iconic but this one is in bad shape so I would go with the IWC. If the polerouter was in good condition I would choose it though but thats me in the end it just depends on your personal preference.

thelinendial and jrmjrm like this.