Help identifying year, original band type and repair advice

Hi, I was given a Seamaster Automatic that I know is from late 50's/early 60's based on Google searches. Was hoping someone here could tell me the year without opening the case. Based on the year, what would have been the original band type? I'd like it to be period correct if possible. Lastly, there is a scratch on the crystal(?); is that something that can be repaired or would it need to be replaced and is that possible given its age? Thanks for any help.IMG_3259.JPG

Hey there... unfortunately the dial has been re-done and not by the best watchmaker...

Like 2
Unfortunately the dial on your watch has been very poorly refinished.

These were typically supplied on a plain leather strap. Some people opted to have what is referred to as a beads of rice (BOR) bracelet fitted at the time of purchase or once the original strap wore out.

Should be a reference 14765, ca early 1960s.

Screen Shot 2024-06-17 at 11.43.37 AM.png
Edited:

Like 2
BTW, "6" is in shadow in the pictures, it has the same color/shine as the other numbers

Unfortunately the dial on your watch has been very poorly refinished.

These were typically supplied on a plain leather strap. Some people opted to have what is referred to as a beads of rice (BOR) bracelet fitted at the time of purchase or once the original strap wore out.

Could be a reference 14765.

Thank you and excuse my novice understanding of the various parts-the dial refers to the black surface with the numbers, ticks on it?

Did they not originally come in a dark color, or what are the telltale marks of a poor refinish?
Some, rare, Seamaster came in black but the signs are the fact that the font is very, extremely wobbly

Like 1
what are the telltale marks of a poor refinish?

Compare the printing to the example I posted above.

The crystal is plastic and can be polished. It can also be replaced either with genuine Omega or a generic plastic crystal.

Yes the crystal can be polished. A common product for this is PolyWatch which can be found on eBay, Amazon etc.

This watch uses a special stepped crystal so a genuine Omega one is preferred although "correct" stepped generics are available.

Thanks for all your help. All of you have incredible knowledge on these pieces. The selling value is less important than it being a sentimental piece, but out of curiosity and since the original owner has passed away, why the dial need to be refurbished? Is that common? Magnified photo:1718668868520.jpg

why the dial need to be refurbished? Is that common?
Because the original dial was damaged in some way. It happens all the time, particularly with pre-1970’s Omegas.

The issue is that almost no one has the proper dies and equipment to reproduce the dial the way it looked when it was new.
gatorcpa

Like 2
Thank you all. Last question-any reputable shops you'd all recommend in the Bay Area of CA?