Forums Latest Members
  1. Night_Flyer26 Feb 28, 2020

Hi everyone!

I found this seamaster up for sale and I am interested in it. However, the seller has not opened the back and as such the model number and movement number are unknown. I did some searching around to see if I could identify what the model is and what the movement may potentially be but was unable to find anything so any help on that front would be greatly appreciated! At the moment the seller is asking £350 for it but given a lot about it is unknown I would be tempted to put in a lower offer if it is reasonably certain it is what I am looking for. Any advice on its condition and authenticity will also be appreciated.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dan S Feb 28, 2020

At first glance, the watch looks basically legit, although obviously we can't tell if the movement is correct and in good condition. But if you're willing to take a small risk, you are happy with the condition (e.g. a few spots on the dial) and the size (?), and the watch is in running condition, I think the price is pretty fair for a SS auto-winding Seamaster from this era, regardless of the specific reference and movement. So if you don't buy it, someone else probably will.

In other words, I don't think that knowing the reference and caliber is really going to make much of a different in the value. And I'm also not sure how knowing the reference and caliber number will help you know whether it's what you're looking for. If you like it, you like it.

Edited Feb 28, 2020
  3. Night_Flyer26 Feb 28, 2020

Thanks for the comments, the seller says that it runs (although say they have never serviced it). I was just curious if anyone knew what the model may be as I am looking for a specific kind of movement (cal. 565) as I am intending to use it as a wearer and for my preference that would be the best movement for me. I did think that the dial seemed a tad small based on the picture next to the coin. The seller doesn't give any dimensions apart from a case dimension of 36x43mm but I am unsure how legitimite those are.

4. OMEGuy Feb 28, 2020

The watch looks like a legit ref. 166.002 with cal. 565 from the mid to late 1960s. Appears to me like it had been worn for quite some time and then put aside, so you should consider you might need a movement service and new gaskets. The case itself doesn't look polished to me, but I'm not sure about the condition of the caseback.

The asking price is basically fair IMO. But I would like to know more about the condition of the inside, before I decided to buy it. Especially, because there's slight corrosion on the hands. So ask the seller for some pics.

Edited Feb 28, 2020
  5. Night_Flyer26 Feb 28, 2020

I saw that at the bottom of the caseback there seems to be some discolouration (but that could be just some reflections from the room) and the seller has said that they have polished the crystal but not the case. The main thing making me hessitant is the fact that there are no images of the inside, but the seller does say that the watch is in working condition. I will try and ask if they can supply some images of the inside, but I am not expecting too much from that since it is eBay.

6. OMEGuy Feb 28, 2020

It's obviously a private seller?

7. Night_Flyer26 Feb 28, 2020

Looking at their profile they have a lot of assorted items on sale and have been selling since 2015 with 100% positive feedback. I wouldn't say they seem like an organisation selling stuff, just some guy who seems to just sell all sorts of things.

8. OMEGuy Feb 28, 2020

Then I'd go for this watch, because this matches my first impression:

Good luck and I'd be happy to see you back once you have it in your hands... :thumbsup:

Night_Flyer26 likes this.
  9. Night_Flyer26 Feb 28, 2020

Great! Thanks for your help and advice, I have asked if they can supply some pictures with the case open just out of interest, but I'll certainly keep an eye on it and hopefully I'll be able to snag it for myself!

OMEGuy likes this.
  10. OMEGuy Feb 28, 2020

Yes, forgot this: Now that I know what you told me about the seller, please DON'T let them have the watch opened. They will most likely cause damage to the case, if they try to do it with a fork or so.

11. Night_Flyer26 Feb 28, 2020

Oh ok, I'll be sure to get onto them about that, thanks!

OMEGuy likes this.
  12. Edward53 Feb 28, 2020

A lot of people just aren't happy opening watch cases (myself included!). It looks fine to me and IMO worth what I see as a very slight risk. But then it's not my 350 quid.

Night_Flyer26 and Spruce like this.
  13. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 28, 2020

I agree

14. Dan S Feb 28, 2020

I think it's more likely 34-35mm.

Night_Flyer26 likes this.
  15. Night_Flyer26 Feb 28, 2020

Thanks for all the helpful comments everyone. The seller didn't have the tools to open the case and so is not going to do it. I think I'll be taking a punt on it and see if it gets anywhere as I do like it and i am reassured by all your comments.

Thanks again for all your help, I'll be sure to be posting again if i get it in my hands!

DaveK and OMEGuy like this.