Help Identifying Vintage(?) Gold Omega Watch

I’m really new to the watch world. I am definitely here to learn. So forgive me in advance for any mistakes or ignorance.

I purchased this watch through an online estate auction for my husband. It did not come with any paperwork or information about when purchased or services done. I have tried to look up if it has a name, when it would have been manufactured, and valuation. Sadly my eyes are crossing and I know nothing more than when I started. To me (extreme novice) it looks vintage, but that carries as much water as a strainer. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic. My huge fear is that it is fake…which is quite nauseating.

Thank you all for any and all assistance!
Alisha

Thanks. It was one of those caught-up-in-the-moment buys. Auctions can be just as addicting as drugs lol. Then I saw a ton of things online where people had gotten fake or Franken watches. And auctions rarely guarantee anything. So yea, I’m waaaaaay more relaxed now.

Hi, from Omega site that should be a watch from 1964 https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-us-collection-omega-p-6638.
Here another thread for the same watch: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-p-6638-help.106227/.

It has a caliber (the internal movement) numbered as 601. Manual winding. I have a similar watch with the same caliber.

I hope this can help.
Hi, from Omega site that should be a watch from 1964 https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omega-us-collection-omega-p-6638.
Here another thread for the same watch: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-p-6638-help.106227/.

It has a caliber (the internal movement) numbered as 601. Manual winding. I have a similar watch with the same caliber.

I hope this can help.

Thank you! I did see a similar watch while researching but the serial didn’t come close to matching (not from an Omega sight or forum though).

I saw that the band would have originally been leather. The one that’s on it sort of looks like nuggets. Would this have been a upgrade option? I haven’t seen any others like it so I’m thinking it wasn’t.

Again, thank you very much for the resources,
Alisha

Thank you! I did see a similar watch while researching but the serial didn’t come close to matching (not from an Omega sight or forum though).

I saw that the band would have originally been leather. The one that’s on it sort of looks like nuggets. Would this have been a upgrade option? I haven’t seen any others like it so I’m thinking it wasn’t.

Alisha

I'm not an expert, but it seems that the bracelet is made for that watch. Mine has an original leather band. If the bracelet is gold and is a replacement (not Omega), but I'm not sure, you can sell it as gold, as I did for another watch (a Longines I had at home).

Alisha
Aftermarket bracelet, very common. Definitely keep it, you will never find another.

The watch is legit. B&A is the case-maker, so I assume this was cased in the country of sale (US perhaps?), not Switzerland, which was common during much of the 20th century to avoid import duties

Aftermarket bracelet, very common. Definitely keep it, you will never find another.
So the bracelet is rare due to possibly being a custom aftermarket? I know that it is stamped 14k which obviously I’d have to have tested to say for sure. But if it tests then it would be worth it’s 14k gold price, and maybe up some for it being a watch bracelet. But is the model of watch uncommon? I didn’t see a name for that line, just a time frame for manufacture.

So the bracelet is rare due to possibly being a custom aftermarket? I know that it is stamped 14k which obviously I’d have to have tested to say for sure. But if it tests then it would be worth it’s 14k gold price, and maybe up some for it being a watch bracelet. But is the model of watch uncommon? I didn’t see a name for that line, just a time frame for manufacture.
It is definitely aftermarket and possibly custom. Regardless of whether it was mass produced, you will definitely never find another. A manufacturing jeweler can cut it, if necessary. But don't just think "free money!" and sell it for scrap. It "should" really stay with the watch.

The watch is legit. B&A is the case-maker, so I assume this was cased in the country of sale (US perhaps?), not Switzerland, which was common during much of the 20th century to avoid import duties
Thank you! Is there a page or timeline that someone has made that has a breakdown of the different models? I feel like I’ve jumped down a rabbit hole and now I’m intrigued about omega watch history. Disclaimer: I’m already a history nerd or sorts so this is a fairly logical course for me

And to answer your other question, I have not seen a watch like yours previously, and I've been looking at them for decades. The reference number implies US Collection and I'm guessing that there is no corresponding International version.

I'm not an expert, but it seems that the bracelet is made for that watch. Mine has an original leather band. If the bracelet is gold and is a replacement (not Omega), but I'm not sure, you can sell it as gold, as I did for another watch (a Longines I had at home).
Thank you. It’s perplexing because it seems like it should be the bracelet for it because of metal purity but it’s just so unusual. At least the husband liked it lol I kinda took a gamble on it.

It is definitely aftermarket and possibly custom. Regardless of whether it was mass produced, you will definitely never find another. A manufacturing jeweler can cut it, if necessary. But don't just think "free money!" and sell it for scrap. It "should" really stay with the watch.
Thank you. Are or were custom watch bands a thing to do? I l’m learning so much today, it’s like I stepped into a whole different world. I knew that people collected nice watches, I just didn’t know how deep some information goes. It’s really fascinating.

And to answer your other question, I have not seen a watch like yours previously, and I've been looking at them for decades. The reference number implies US Collection and I'm guessing that there is no corresponding International version.
Wow, thank you for the information.

In precious metals, custom were indeed done in the past. That was back when a fine watch was something you spent a lot of money on, had it regularly serviced, and you wore it every day for the rest of your life. It was common back in the day to commemorate certain occasions with a fine gold watch. Graduation from high school, graduation from college, or retirement. Many a watch was inscribed in the manner of "Robert 5-15-48 from Mom and Dad".

Such watches were heirlooms valued in the family.

However, it is very common to find an inscribed watch for sale and wonder why no one in his family wanted grandpa's watch?