Forums Latest Members
  1. blackarrow Oct 23, 2017

Hello,

there is this one Omega Geneve I found, is it real? I know it is not in perfect condition, the movement is rusty, and the cover is somehow weird (somebody took off whatever was there).

Thank you very much.

s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500 (2).jpg s-l500 (3).jpg s-l500 (4).jpg s-l500.jpg

2. Canuck Oct 23, 2017

I won’t comment on the case. The movement is Omega. But if you haven’t bought it, I suggest you don’t. Better examples are available.

3. blackarrow Oct 23, 2017

Thank you for your quick response. As I beginner, I find it rather hard to estimate the originality of the watches. I tried looking at old Omega catalogs, but I still can not tell the difference, especially when it comes to the cases. Any suggestions, where to look, how to learn?

4. peire06 Oct 23, 2017

5. gdupree Oct 23, 2017

The post above is a great place to start. Beyond that, the best way to learn is really just by looking at a ton of watches and studying the details. Different watch models will have different features to identify them as authentic/inauthentic. With Omega, it's much more common to find refinished, or 'Frankenstein' watches rather than out-right fakes (although they do exist).

The above model that you posted has many characteristics, but really it's not worth discussing them simply because the movement itself will be virtually worthless. There are tons of this type of watch out there, and you should be able to find one in far-far better condition should you be interested, though it can be tricky to find one that doesn't have a repainted dial, but that's another story. If you find another in better condition that strikes your fancy, feel free to check back.

6. Edward53 Oct 23, 2017

A few pointers to assist you:

The dial says automatic. The movement is manual. That tells you straight off it's wrong for the case.
    The movement shows considerable corrosion. Unless a watch is very rare, that should be an instant No. Sixties Geneves like this are neither rare nor very collectable.
    The crown [= winder] does not have the Omega logo. It doesn't look like any Omega crown I know.
    Whatever has been removed from the back is either an inscription or, more likely, the logo of a different watch brand.

To sum up, the watch is a pile of dogshit. It doesn't matter how cheap it is, don't buy it. Every beginner wants to start with a bargain, but this isn't a bargain. You should not buy a cheap "fixer upper" unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the skills to do it yourself. It is cheaper in the long run to find something decent and pay the going rate for it. It is. It really, really is.

chronos, Noddyman, rcs914 and 3 others like this.
  7. ConElPueblo Oct 23, 2017

This man speaks truth.