Help for Omega Cosmic

Hi,
This is my first post here so please bear with me (both for the questions and the quality of the pictures 😉.
A few years ago I bouth this Omega Cosmic moonphase from the private collection of a jeweller. All the functions are in perfect working order. From the serial number (11mil), it should date around 1947 and case model is 2471-1, I believe.
I would like to have your opinions regarding the dial, as I did not find the same dial on the web. Is it original or repainted, and if repainted is it professionally done?
many thanks for your help!

Hello and welcome!

We need pictures of your watch. 😀

Thanks! Can i ask what were the elements that gave it away?

The fonts of the logo and numbers are wrong, the minute hash marks also too heavily printed and incorrectly positioned and the general look and finish of the white dial itself doesn't look original.

I don't know the finer details of exactly how this dial should look but I can tell it's a redial by applying some basic principles.

Alignment 1 - minute marks and hours markers don't perfectly line up.

Thickness - minute hash marks appear too thick.

Alignment 2 - 'Omega' text is not perfectly horizontal but appears to be sloping.

One last “tell”. Omega used natural lacquers up until the early 1960’s. These tend to yellow with age.

See this post for an example of what I mean:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ranchero-records.113258/#post-1649548

Even a new old stock dial will be at least a little yellowed after 70 years. Call it “egg shell” or off-white if you prefer.

Any 1950’s Omega with a bright white dial should be suspect.
gatorcpa

to follow up on this and to get some training, would you say that the somewhat heavy serif in OMEGA and the sometimes irregularly spaced minute marks on this 121.014 indicate a redial or does this look original to you?

to follow up on this and to get some training, would you say that the somewhat heavy serif in OMEGA and the sometimes irregularly spaced minute marks on this 121.014 indicate a redial or does this look original to you?

Hi and welcome! I am also starting in the hobby but IMO your assumption is correct and therefore this should be also a redial. The exagerated serifs for me look off.

Edit: wrong grammar
Edited:

Terrible redial. The font with the exaggerated serif as you note is a dead giveaway. Also the dial finish just doesn't look right. After viewing tens of thousands of dials over years these things become very easy to identify.
Edited:

You sound a liitle bit grumpy. Do you hate redials 🙄😎😲?

You sound a liitle bit grumpy. Do you hate redials 🙄😎😲?

Grumpy, moi? 😁 I just feel sorry for all the starry eyed Cosmic owners unaware that they are sporting a redial 🙁