Forums Latest Members

Help changing T-Bar watch band

1. Ronstrous Feb 5, 2023

Greetings, I'm just an ignoramus at this hobby. Therefore, would someone be able to tell me how to remove and change the watchband on my newly acquired vintage LeCoultre with T-Bar lugs?

The band is on so tight, that I can't even see the spring bars or insert a spring bar tool between the lugs and the band.

I'm happy to use a Stanley knife to cut the band off, if that's what's required, as the band is too small for me and hence I want to replace it.

LC 6.jpg LC 7.jpg LC 8.jpg

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 5, 2023

Obviously a strap that’s too big…Stanley knife time….make sure you post a picture after the cutting. ;)

Ronstrous and p4ul like this.
  3. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Feb 5, 2023

Save it for a rainy day (or later sale)? 95CB88A3-542D-4B2E-9F4A-C76B7422CBA3.jpeg

Ronstrous likes this.
  4. Evitzee Feb 5, 2023

Use an X-Acto knife or razor blade and slice it off. It looks like a cheap, generic band and really has no value.

Ronstrous and p4ul like this.
  5. Dan S Feb 5, 2023

Looks like a tight fit, either because the wrong strap was used or because the lugs are bent. I'm not familiar with the particular watch, but I assume it uses spring-bars. So you might be able to pry back the edge with a spring-bar tool to access them. Try to avoid scratching the lugs, because unlike on a typical watch, any scratches will definitely be visible. The same warning applies when installing the new strap, which is really when most scratches occur, since you will be inclined to drag the tip of a stainless spring bar across the gold surface as you compress it.

Ronstrous likes this.
  6. Ronstrous Feb 5, 2023

OK, operation completed successfully. Happy to say the patient has survived without a scratch. I cut the stitching and removed the leather, only to realise there were plastic cores in the ends of the band around the spring bars. So I carefully sliced those open with a Stanley knife. Anyway, definitely won't be using another 18mm band for this watch.

Thanks guys for your help and advice !!

LC 9.jpg LC 10.jpg

Radiumpassion and p4ul like this.