Help a new guy understand what he’s getting in to

Hey all, this is that post where someone declares to the world they might buy their first vintage watch. Here is the watch in question:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

This watch ticks all the boxes for me in terms of what I was looking for in a watch. I understand that the dial is refinished, and I understand the implications of what that does to collectibility and value/resale. I actually don’t mind refinishing because it seems to put more watches in to my budget.

What I am hoping this forum can help with is what other issues am I not considering in purchasing this watch? Is it possibly a franken watch or does it look period correct besides the refinishing? Is the refinishing done poorly? Is this listing just plain overpriced for what you get?

I really appreciate everyone’s time and any expertise you’re able to pass on. Take care and wear your watches in good health!

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Welcome to OF. Members generally prefer to have images posted directly. It is easier to view, and also contributes to the archival nature of the site. Also, include any information you think may be useful, such as the asking price.

Without looking at the listing, I will predict that most members here will suggest that a watch with a refinished dial is intrinsically worth no more than the remaining parts. So ultimately, you will probably need to think of it as a decorative timekeeper and decide how much it's worth to you. Keep in mind that you may need to spend an additional few hundred currency units for service/repairs.

Before you buy, I'd suggest looking through several pages of the listings on this site (including sold watches) to get a realistic sense of what your money can buy in the context of honest collectible watches.
Edited:

Welcome to OF. Members generally prefer to have images posted directly. It is easier to view, and also contributes to the archival nature of the site. Also, include any information you think may be useful, such as the asking price.

Without looking at the listing, I will predict that most members here will suggest that a watch with a refinished dial is worth no more than the parts. So ultimately, you will probably need to think of it as a decorative timekeeper and ask how much it's worth to you.

Thanks for the reply and the tip about the photos. The asking price is $809 before tax, not including potential customs fees. Here are some photos;
DA04B4BB-C6E9-4A9D-8D54-B72B3854F47B.png 69A45766-18D6-441E-BABD-FEAA8CA62A55.png 7B5129EA-3BCE-4476-A546-8465739D8E41.png 7FACE7DE-D528-4988-B396-38CDDF72D4DA.png

I agree with the above, but when comparing other watches, note that this is a jumbo reference, probably 37.5mm.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend following the recommended eBay listings that's pinned at the top of the forum. A couple very nice watches in that price range are shared there daily. If I didn't have a narrow target for my first Omega, I would have bid on a few already.

And you might like the inexpensive seamaster that was just posted for sale in the marketplace. It has been refinished, too, but the price reflects it much more than what you find on eBay. Plus it's been serviced recently, which seems rare on eBay.
Edited:

Thank you everyone so much for the information. I’m gonna start lurking in the for sale and recommendation thread to gather more insight for sure. Great suggestions all around.

I prefer larger watches which attracted me to the 2505. Maybe I should broaden my horizons to the 36mm range as well.

Again, thanks for the tips everyone.

It's only 34.5mm though. Standard size for Omegas of that era, but significantly less than the 37mm you were aiming at.

It's only 34.5mm though. Standard size for Omegas of that era, but significantly less than the 37mm you were aiming at.

Thanks for posting the photo. I just saw that one and I really like it except for the size. The price is awesome of course. There is nothing about the condition or refinishing that bothers me, but I know once I receive it that the watch would sit in the watch box which is not my intention. I want a size 36-38mm that I can wear a couple days a week comfortably (in my mind).

I appreciate that size is important (isn’t it always) and if you were looking for one of the current 40mm plus watches, wouldn’t have bothered with this post but, as you’ll see from my photo, when you look at the two watches the ‘beefy’ lugs on the 34.5 Seamaster look comparable in size with the 36mm Rotary.

08D20D27-B341-47BE-B4BA-595AEBA0612E.jpeg

Thanks for posting the photo. I just saw that one and I really like it except for the size. The price is awesome of course. There is nothing about the condition or refinishing that bothers me, but I know once I receive it that the watch would sit in the watch box which is not my intention. I want a size 36-38mm that I can wear a couple days a week comfortably (in my mind).
Welcome to the forum Jeremy. It's really insightful that you know what size you want. I have several nice smaller watches 30 - 34mm that sit in the drawer (I'll need to take the time to move them on to someone who'll appreciate them). I am now disciplined to not buy anything under 36mm as I know I won't wear it, and unfortunately it excludes several nice vintage models (most notably a beautiful Connie). Stick to your size requirements.

I appreciate that size is important (isn’t it always) and if you were looking for one of the current 40mm plus watches, wouldn’t have bothered with this post but, as you’ll see from my photo, when you look at the two watches the ‘beefy’ lugs on the 34.5 Seamaster look comparable in size with the 36mm Rotary.

@Spruce : I was writing my previous comment before you posted. It wasn't directed at your suggestion 😬. I don't disagree that small watches can look big, and vice versa, including the ones you showed. Just encouraging the OP to buy something he'll wear.

I love that one Spruce. 2577?

IMO, the single most important visual aspect of a watch is the dial, and if the dial is large, the watch looks larger on the wrist. For. this reason, a 35mm watch with a narrow bezel will wear often look larger than a 35mm watch with a wide bezel. Personally, I don't find that the beefy lug Seamasters with wide bezels wear very large.

These two watches are 35mm, but there is no question to me that the one on the left appears larger on my wrist.

longines_conquest_allguard.jpeg