Forums Latest Members
  1. Dial8675309 Sep 5, 2021

Hello all,

I am a newly registered member wanting to introduce myself. My name is Jean-Francois, but I go by JF and I am located in Canada. I am a big fan of forums and special interest clubs. I was directed to this forum by my local watch club because of my ever growing interest in watches specifically of the vintage variety. I love to learn and have spent many hours reading threads here before getting the nerve to sign up. Learned I have and I am thankful to be able to continue doing so. I signed up to be able to ask a question here or there.

As someone in their early thirties I must say that my interest in watches was almost non existent until about five years ago when I started a new career on the railroad. Sure, like most, my father bought me my first watch when I was a child for school. I always wore one in those days, usually digital, but with the advent of the cell phone I, like most, viewed watches as an obsolete tool. Being a new hire on the railroad forced me to acquire a watch since wearing one is mandatory. Annoyed, I bought a thirteen dollar special while I was buying some new steel toes at a big box work outfitter. I started my new career during the month of December. Needles to say it gets cold on the Canadian prairies in the winter and I was outside for eight or more hours. My thirteen dollar special did not live past my first month. I am fond of tinkering so I poked at it, opened it up, realised that cheap is cheap and that I was holding in my hand utter trash. This lead to my first google search pertaining to watches. It went something like 'which watch can I bang in the cold?' and now here I am, a complete novice who has found a love for watches which I would have never thought could be the case. There is simply something magical about an automatic movement that one cannot fathom until they see it with their own eyes. Now if I believe a watch movement to be magical, it would appear that I have found Disneyland with this forum.

To a fruitful exchange,

JF

2. CdnWatchDoc Sep 5, 2021

Welcome to OF! Thought you would find your way here, esp. with your interest in all things Omega.
    And another congrats on the recent Connie purchase!

Dial8675309 likes this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 5, 2021

A lovely introduction, welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

Dial8675309 likes this.
  4. 64Wing Sep 5, 2021

@Dial8675309
    Welcome! The bug bites hard, doesn't it?

If you're establishing yourself as a railroad worker, might I presume you've an interest in railroad history as well? As such, I'd like to point you to RGM Watch Co. I have a suspicion you'll add some of their pieces to your grail list. Thank me later...

Dial8675309 likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 5, 2021

Dial8675309 and 64Wing like this.
  6. Toishome Sep 5, 2021

Welcome to OF :thumbsup:

Dial8675309 likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 6, 2021

Welcome to the Finance Depletion Service.
    ;)

I'd suggest, that for a work watch you could get something inexpensive but very reliable and if it gets damaged or lost at work it's not a huge penalty.

(Says he who wore a Rolex 5513 daily on the flight line of a fighter/ground attack squadron :rolleyes:).

In later life working in a shipyard I wore a Casio F91W.
    Ultra comfortable, ultra reliable and didn't break the bank.

Best thing by doing it this way is that you have more to spend on good watches to wear in less rugged environments.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 6, 2021

Great intro…
    And welcome to the rabbit hole of railroad time pieces.

Dial8675309 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  9. jaguar11 Sep 6, 2021

Very nice introduction! A big welcome.

Dial8675309 likes this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 6, 2021

Great introduction - welcome @Dial8675309 - and I think we need to see pictures of the Constellation over in the vintage Omega section.

Dial8675309 likes this.
  11. rob#1 Sep 6, 2021

Welcome to OF, nice intro :thumbsup:

Dial8675309 likes this.
  12. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Sep 6, 2021

JF welcome to OF

There is a great Seiko thread here, where you might get some ideas for something vintage to wear at work, that won’t break too quickly or break the bank.

Dial8675309 likes this.
  13. Dial8675309 Sep 6, 2021

A big thank you for the warm welcome!

Since there seems to be some interest in my work watch selection, here we go. After my initial searches five years ago, I ended up with a Casio A158W0-1. The watch is still ticking and in good condition. I still wear it on occasion in the winter months. For anyone who cares to know, this watch is virtually indestructible! I have smashed it against steel, hooked it on car ladders that were flying by me at ten miles per hour while entraining/detraining, frozen it in the snow, water logged it in the rain, cooked it in the sun, you name it. The one thing I will say and this would only apply to one who lives in a semi arctic climate, is that the digital display does not function in extremely cold temperatures. The other thing was that it is not very attractive to the eye. The watch I now wear almost exclusively at work is a Timex Expedition Scout metal with cream dial, ref T49963GP. These are not as durable as the Casios, I am on my second unit, but they are more comfortable, attractive and I have yet to have one freeze up on me. The other thing that I like a lot about these watches is the Indiglo light. Yes the Casio lights up, but the indiglo feature on the Timex pieces illuminates your entire dial which I like. It's the small things in life, this is true.

14. Dial8675309 Sep 6, 2021

I do enjoy railroad history. I also have a small collection of railroad lanterns. My colleague collects railroad cutlery, go figure. I have always been interested in acquiring some railroad advert posters as well, but the prices are a little steep. I will take a look at the link, thank you.

64Wing likes this.
  15. Dial8675309 Sep 6, 2021

LOL, I must avert the sales section.

16. Dial8675309 Sep 6, 2021

Believe it or not, many of the younger fellows at work in the eighteen to twenty-five range wear pocket watches on the job. Most are cheap newer ones, but I find it interesting. It is rather convenient to carry a pocket watch since there is no risk of hooking which is always a danger. That CP pocket watch is drool worthy. I wonder if there are any for CN?