Forums Latest Members
  1. Waynepjr Feb 27, 2016

I have been in touch with several vintage Omega collectors who live in Germany and have heard a few disturbing issues. Seems that a few vintage Omega, dating from 40's to 60's, being shipped into the country were confiscated by German customs and destroyed per an agreement made between German customs and Swatch Group. 3 pieces were deemed authentic by the Omega Museum but confiscated and destroyed regardless. When asked for specific reason for the confiscations were only told the watches were not allowed into the country.
    I have heard also that a large Omega parts reseller has recently stopped all shipments to Germany due to shipments being confiscated and destroyed by German customs as well, mainly Swatch Group parts but other brands have been subject to confiscations as well. Has anyone else heard or been a victim of German customs of late?

Wayne

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 27, 2016

3. CTS-V Feb 27, 2016

What issue does German customs have w/vintage Omegas entering the country?

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 27, 2016

Vintage watches? On what possible basis could the Swatch Group make that happen?

I'm a skeptic...

(Watchco is a separate issue, as they deal in NOS parts.)

5. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 27, 2016

Have read that on Ebay. The company there called abouttime-ch has this written in there auctions.

WE NO LONGER SHIP TO GERMANY

We no longer ship to Germany. German customs have taken it upon themselves to delay delivery and even stop delivery of Swatch Group products. We have had two shipments stopped and destroyed even though the Omega Museum have confirmed the items to be correct and original. We regret the inconvenience this will cause our German clients.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2016

What the hell?

This sounds very strange

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 27, 2016

WTF? I do not understand how the SG could have any claims of power over watches that were manufactured long before they were even in existence!

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2016

These are "new" watches put together by Watchco of Australia (now relocated to New Zealand) . They are SM 300s made of old movements and new parts made by Omega.
    abouttime-ch = Watchco. Same company.

[​IMG]

9. CTS-V Feb 27, 2016

^^^^ohhhh.....so they are fakes?

10. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Feb 27, 2016

sad news, indeed ... maybe use an inner-EU proxy ... or do they check packages coming out of france/austria/etc as well?

cheers

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 27, 2016

That has been debated many times on this and other forums. These watches are put together from genuine Omega parts for the case, dial, and hands. The movements are vintage and could have been originally used in SM300's. At the very least they are of the correct caliber and time period. Personally, I would categorize these as "frankenwatches", but some do collect them actively.

With respect to the German seizures of Watchco products, I'm going to try to read between the lines here.

Watchco used to be an authorized seller of Omega parts. Effective 2016, Swatch is no longer selling parts to most independent suppliers (they continue to sell to Swatch certified watchmakers - Ask @Archer about this).

While I don't think that Swatch has a specific objection to Watchco selling the remainder of their parts stock to collectors, I can easily see them having a problem with Watchco assembling these parts into a finished product and selling them as "NOS" Omega watches.

Swatch may have found a willing partner in German Customs in trying to stop this practice.
    gatorcpa

12. DON Feb 27, 2016

Just doesn't make sense. Swatch group/Omega has been selling the parts for more than a decade to parts suppliers and resellers and Watchco has been selling parts on Ebay since 2003 when I bought a case and bezel.

The created watches in mint condition have been floating all over the internet since then also and what now! Swatch is suddenly upset and it's only the German government that's doing this?

I think the German government has other things to worry about then redone 300SM's

Only way German customs would know it wasn't original would be to open the case and check with Omega on the case # and movement s/n

Sorry, but sounds like a story

DON

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 27, 2016

That was when Watchco was authorized by Swatch/Omega to supply parts. That is no longer true.

My explanation is speculative, but plausible. Remember that until last year, US Customs was authorized by Rolex to seize watches sent by mail from outside the US and return them to the sender.
    gatorcpa

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2016

Has that changed now? Can people actually ship Rolex watches to the US these days?

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 27, 2016

16. Cal_321 Feb 28, 2016

I live in Germany and I know that proven fakes maybe confiscated and destroyed from the customs. If I'm buying a watch in the US and like to have it shipped overseas it is my property and no one has the right to destroy this property. The German customs are not a instance for private companies to enforce private market restrictions - at least is this my current interpretaion of German law...

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Feb 28, 2016

Adding one more reason to my list.......

18. DON Feb 28, 2016

I can understand destroying fakes and replicas, but even if the Omegas were put together with new/old produced parts. German customs wouldn't know the difference between one that left the factory or one put together. As I mentioned. They would have to open the watch and supply Omega with numbers to confirm.

As for Rolex. That was more based on people shipping large orders. Not single watches. I shipped many Rolex's to the US and none were ever returned (one was opened by customs, sealed and sent to customer).

I always said Rolex never had a leg to stand on with that rule. How can you apply for Copy write protection against a genuine item. One or 100. If they're genuine items. Fakes or replica's yes, but not genuine.

DON

19. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 28, 2016

??

20. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 10, 2016

It's not only Omega parts that has been stopped sending to Germany

PLEASE I STOPPED SHIPPING NOW TO GERMANY STARTING NOVEMBER 2, 2015
    GOOGLE TRANSLATED:

BITTE Ich hörte VERSAND NACH DEUTSCHLAND JETZT BEGINNEN 2. November 2015

GENUINE ORIGINAL SEIKO NOS PARTS:

Complete set hands for Seiko Automatic Divers 150m and 200m
    Free ship for next items.
    Always feel free for any inquiry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Se...309-7040-9-Turtle-Case-Cushion-/301615786556?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network