Forums Latest Members
  1. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

Hostile takeover!

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 16, 2015

Dennis, this is actually a genuinely good idea. If there are enough small shareholders willing to raise an issue at an AGM, it can get real traction!

3. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

..... and what would the shareholders say if they found out that manufacturing parts is not profitable as selling watches? .....because it isn't, and Hayek has said so, if I remember some of his interviews. (Don can correct me if I'm wrong) He also said he was tired of ETA getting the blame for shoddy workmanship by other companies using their parts / ebauches.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 16, 2015

Stock price Down 3.38% last couple of days

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 16, 2015

This thread must be working.

6. abrod520 Oct 16, 2015

Step 1: We scheme and take control of Swatch
    Step 2: We realize our personal watch collections can grow if we tightly restrict supply of our parts business thus making us all rich
    Step 3: We get rich and fatten our collections, and everyone else is pissed, so the watch collectors of the world unite
    Step 4: They scheme and take control of Swatch...

Modest_Proposal, Peemacgee and STANDY like this.
  7. Habitant Oct 17, 2015

Watch forum? You set your ambitions too low. Of course, Swatch could care less about 'us.' Of course. But you and everyone on here are opinion formers. People listen to you. You and every Omega enthusiast, vintage or new, support the brand and by this fact, you grant them the premium they charge.

And so… the point is to lead, not follow. To use your voice constructively.

As I said, I know that campaigns can be fought and battles won. I was surprised that we were able to make the difference we did, to be honest. But we started out determined to make a difference and ignore the cynics in our midst…

What, by the way, when you say 'something you have a chance of changing,' just wondering what you had in mind?

Northernman likes this.
  8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 17, 2015

Underpants....

efauser likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Oct 17, 2015

We discussed one idea via PM. Better chance of generic parts being made than changing the Swatch Corporation. There's also a better chance of the US watch industry making a comeback - RGM and a few others are making an attempt.

Phase 1 of the 3 parts of the gnome business model.

38a.jpg
    Gnomes_plan.png

Peemacgee likes this.
  10. Pvt-Public Oct 17, 2015

RGM even has a watch in a GMC truck commercial at least I think it's GMC.

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 17, 2015

That is truly surreal

12. alfanator Oct 17, 2015

They are simply making it easier for their comp to take market share, by listening to customers and giving them what they want.

That and I see a cottage industry propping up to provide restricted parts, in time some of these third party providers might even make higher quality replacement parts than Swatch.

13. Canuck Oct 17, 2015

Watch companies clearly don't want watch owners to be repairing their watches when repairs are needed. Modern watch production methods mean these companies can manufacture watches faster'n they can sell 'em! They want these people replacing watches rather than repairing them. Collectors are known to be able to find ways to keep older watches running far longer than the watch companies think they should. Collectors are the very last watch owners these companies are likely to listen to!

14. Habitant Oct 17, 2015

To get back the point and to re-state a point previously made when this topic has come up before: why is it 'OK' for Swatch, et al, to restrict parts supply – by any other terms restraint of trade – when a similar industry, the automotive, doesn't seem to feel the same need?

15. Canuck Oct 17, 2015

Deleted. Duplicate post.

16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 19, 2015

Here's the bottom line:

EVERY (sry for screaming) watch maker wants to be Rolex. They'd really like to be Patek but they they know that's not reasonable.

The Rolex model is simple:

Market your brand as being the absolute and final arbiter and definition of success.

Raise prices 7 to 10% every year. No exceptions.

Shred watches before going anywhere near the Grey : Gray market.

Control the entire supply chain.

Weaponize local courts and law enforcement to viciously protect your trademarks and copy writes.

Not every watch maker can be Rolex but hot damn if they're not all trying.

Habitant, ulackfocus and dragoman like this.
  17. Habitant Oct 20, 2015

However did Rolex get the US government to protect even imports of vintage/used Rolexes into the US? What a feat of protectionism! Rolex isn't even a US brand, so the idea of using a Swiss brand to protect the interests of the US domestic watch manufacturing industry took some skill and a fair bit of pocket lining.
    (At least I assume this is the case as UK auctioneer Fellows have big notices stating that exporting Rolexes to the US is against regulation - not UK regulations, but US ones)
    Everyone wants to be Rolex, but not everyone can be, of course. Brand managers just keep trying and score some successes, but Rolex (in marketing terms, at least) is the real deal and everyone else just wants to be. It won't stop Omega/Swatch trying, but the truth is they don't really get it - you can't be a luxury producer of the 'world's finest timepieces' and flog crappy plastic watches, too (doesn't stop them making millions, I get it). To my mind, Patek and Rolex work because of their singular focus on one thing.

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 20, 2015

Because there was government intervention. 95% of Americans own cars, maybe 0.1% own mechanical watches. Tesla is trying to implement similar restrictions in the automobile business and is getting a big push-back from the individual states.

At one time most of the larger watch companies received similar treatment to protect their US importers and trademark owners. Today, Rolex is one of the few companies that maintains a US distributorship under ownership separate from the factory in Switzerland. That allowed them to request and receive this protection of their trademark in the US.

I think that earlier this year Rolex and/or US Customs has had a change of heart on this subject:

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/watches/rolex/how-do-you-import-a-rolex-watch-into-the-united-states

This was welcome news.
    gatorcpa

19. Habitant Oct 20, 2015

Well my first question was, essentially, rhetorical. The watch business does because it can, and as evidenced here, a lot of people think that's just fine by them. Although my point was on principle, rather than by any statistically derived merits.

And the second point is great news, if it happens. A weird anachronistic practice as it stands. It's not as though a few vintage Rolexes have any impact on a multi-million dollar new watch business - as many here have said, in essence.

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 20, 2015

Archer likes this.