Forums Latest Members

Having a watch serviced by a non-Omega authorised watchmaker?

1. aynjrz Mar 31, 2021

Hello - I wanted to ask for some advice. I have an Omega watch that I bought new in 2000, but have always been ambivalent about it and haven't worn it for many years. I've been trying to decide whether to have it serviced and try wearing it again, or to sell it.

The cost for an Omega-authorised service seems to be about £4-500, which is more than I'd be willing to pay. Are there non-authorised watchmakers in the UK who might be cheaper? And what would be the implications of having the watch serviced by a non-authorised watchmaker?

In particular, since I still might decide to sell the watch in future, would having had it serviced by a non-authorised watchmaker be a problem when selling?

2. gbesq Mar 31, 2021

If you’re going to sell it, and it hasn’t been worn much, you might want to consider not having it serviced and disclose in your sales listing that a service has not been recently performed and is recommended. Many buyers prefer to have a new acquisition serviced by their own watchmaker. If you decide to keep the watch, there are many non-authorized independent watchmakers who can competently service the watch. The key is whether or not they have access to an Omega parts account if parts are needed.

lando, rohada and Wryfox like this.
  3. aynjrz Mar 31, 2021

Thanks very much - yes, if I were certain I wanted to sell, I wouldn't have it serviced first.

The question of using Omega parts was one of my biggest concerns about a service. I don't have a sense of how important this would actually be, or how to find a good watchmaker with a parts account.

I didn't want to say exactly what kind of watch this is, in case I gave the impression of trying to make a 'for sale' post by stealth. But to give some context, this was one of Omega's cheaper watches at the time, a simple 3-hand ETA-based automatic; it's not a super-collectible or valuable model.

4. gbesq Mar 31, 2021

The importance of access to genuine Omega parts really depends on the watch. A generic crystal or parts for an ETA movement is not a serious problem. A modern omega coaxial master chronometer movement in need of parts, that’s a different story.

5. SkunkPrince Mar 31, 2021

Factory service is probably your best bet, because it generally costs less than competent service by an independent. Paying less might mean getting less.

6. Evitzee Mar 31, 2021

Doesn't sound like spending a bunch of money on it makes much sense. Sell it and get something you will wear.

7. aynjrz Mar 31, 2021

That's an interesting point. Is it realistic at all to look for an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account to do a service for £2-250? Omega UK's official price is £450 for a service, and I wouldn't feel it worth spending that much on this particular watch.

8. SkunkPrince Mar 31, 2021

If you're going to keep it, it's worth it. If you're going to sell it, maybe, but make someone else agonize over that decision.

You could try just wearing it for a week (unless it doesn't run) to see whether you might keep it.

9. Rado63 Mar 31, 2021

According what I have read there can be Omega authorized independent watchmaker services who have access to all the parts. If you don't wear the watch and you know it needs service you have to choices with regards to selling it. List it for a low price indicating it runs, but needs service, or list after you complete the service. Completing the service with Omega provides a warranty and enters your watch into the service data base which adds some credibility that the watch is authentic. If you complete the service and sell you may still not be able to recover the cost of servicing. Since it's just sitting around, maybe just post it up and see if you get some offers.

10. SkunkPrince Mar 31, 2021

How about sharing a picture of this watch so we can determine what it might be worth?

11. aynjrz Mar 31, 2021

Hopefully, you should see a picture with this post.

IMG_0122.JPG
  12. Donn Chambers Mar 31, 2021

cool. A nice Omega Dynamic. I think it’s worth keeping and fixing up, but I’m sure you could easily find a buyer if you choose to sell.

Alpha likes this.
  13. SkunkPrince Mar 31, 2021

You could probably get that serviced by an independent since it's new enough and has just sat around not getting worn (out) not long after it was new.

They are relatively desireable even though it was a value-priced alternative at the time. It certainly has a unique look.

14. amcclell Mar 31, 2021

Any independent watchmaker should be able to service this. These Dynamics are nice watches.

Larry S likes this.
  15. Socks Apr 1, 2021

Whereabout in the UK are you?

16. aynjrz Apr 1, 2021

Near Oxford.

17. aynjrz Apr 1, 2021

Thanks to the people who have replied so far - if anyone has a recommendation for an independent watchmaker to try, I'd very much appreciate it.

18. Socks Apr 1, 2021

19. aynjrz Apr 1, 2021

20. simomega Apr 1, 2021

If you have it serviced by Christian (watchguy.co.uk) or Mitka (mitka.co.uk) - or many others I’m sure, but I’ve used these two a lot - then you’ll get a series of photos of the movement that might add value to your sales listing...

As an example:

https://workshop.mitka.co.uk/cgi-bin/library?action=show_photos&wat_id=204&tk_id=182034781

also significantly better proof of recent service than a pinch-of-salt ‘recently serviced’ description.

I was bidding on a Speedmaster that had Christian’s pics last year, and bid *significantly* higher based on the info available.