Forums Latest Members

Have current times effected watch purchasing for you

1. Walrus Apr 4, 2020

Seems petty to bring up watches in the face of this virus ravaging so much of humanity but it’s a watch forum so I think it’s ok. I hope everyone is healthy and has avoided furloughs and layoffs etc. I am talking to a gentleman selling a seamaster pro not too far from me. The watch looks nice and the price is very fair. It’s a watch I’m interested in looking further into. I’m not new to watches but I’m far from an expert and doing something like this I’d always prefer to find a watchmaker in the area to look over the watch prior to me handing over a bunch of Benjamin’s but as we all know there will be no watchmakers open for a while. I figure I’ll follow up with this gentleman feel him out but if I don’t have complete confidence in myself the wise move will probably be to pass. The watch is one state over from me but it’s really under a two hour drive so I can at least go check it out.

The other concern is the unknown of this virus. My wife’s company did a small pay cut for six months due to the impact of the virus on business. She works for a Fortune 500 company so that is probably a couple hundred thousand people in that company alone who have to eat that. We aren’t that upset, we see the unemployment numbers in our state, we will not cry over an 8% pay cut when so many people are losing work completely. My job seems ok, no one wants to work with the homeless and mentally ill right now, I’m working 7 days a week quite often as we have staff that quit because of the virus but my field of work is not a field that makes you rich.

So I guess it’s a two or three fold issue for me at this point. No watch makers open, some concerns about finances and then I got this thing in my head where it seems like now isn’t the time to be concerned with purchasing watches. Although I did mention in a different thread I was so close to picking up a Tudor just a couple weeks ago but my hot water tank went so I used my Tudor money on a new hot water heater. Ok this is getting to be one of those too long to read posts. I’m a bit bored I’m actually at work now and I have about an hour and a half until I start getting people up for medication, thanks for letting me kill a few minutes

noelekal likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 4, 2020

Waterproof watch needed for Covid 19 extra hand washing. :thumbsup:

Up to you only, big boy pants on and make your decision.

( you get the above comment because your not a newbie )

3. Walrus Apr 4, 2020

Ha ha thanks. Ya I’m not a newbie here but watch knowledge wise I consider myself a newbie. That’s why I’m hesitant of buying the seamaster without someone with more knowledge taking a looksie but I see your point I can continue my studies and be a big boy. I feel much more confident with vintage ones as I’ve bought a number of them. The newer ones I fear being duped.

4. pete91m Apr 4, 2020

I’m definitely a newbie and had some money set aside for my first omega purchase once a house purchase completed in May (now delayed). Work wise I feel relatively safe at the moment, but I guess the longer this goes on the more unknown that becomes.
    I’m definitely holding off until we are out the other side of this - also because I want to buy new and ADs are closed! Do you think we could see some bigger discounts that normal once they re-open again?

5. Walrus Apr 4, 2020

I can’t say for sure but there was an article in business insider about how badly the Swiss watch industry is being hit by the virus. At the end of the article they stated the industry is well poised for a quick recovery when things return to normal. They did not elaborate on why that was but if that is the case I would guess not.

pete91m likes this.
  6. pete91m Apr 4, 2020

I guess that’s in line with what a lot of the economic commentators are saying too. Deep recession but one that snaps back fairly quickly. A lot of the luxury brands expect revenue to return to normal in Q1 2021.

7. Walrus Apr 4, 2020

You are correct, I keep hear the talking heads mention a V shaped recovery. TBH I don’t buy it but I hope it comes to pass. I just can’t see a quick bounce back when a quarter or more small businesses are saying they are closing for good or on the verge of having to. I’ll hope for the best though

lindo likes this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2020

I have to ask why you’re even considering a 2 hour (or is that a 4 hour round trip?) for something 100% non essential when everyone should be staying in doors unless they have to go to work, or to get groceries/medication?

If we collectively don’t act like grown ups, then whether or not we should be buying XYZ becomes immaterial.

mz_cle, MCC, tomkenmag and 13 others like this.
  9. pete91m Apr 4, 2020

Exactly. All this government stimulus will need paid back at some point. All of those small businesses you mention that avail of the support loans will have to pay them back, saddling them with more debt they can’t afford and potentially forcing closures further down the road.

Walrus likes this.
  10. Walrus Apr 4, 2020

Good question. I’ll just say it’s in Massachusetts where my mother is. I need to check in on her from time to time. So I do have reason to travel but yes I have been limiting my travels and following proper procedure but I will actually drive to see my mother, stand outside her place and talk to her. Then head right back home. It makes her feel better. I would time looking at the watch during one of those visits. I also mask and glove up due to the nature of my work. It’s about 2:20 drive both ways included. I’ve done it twice since this whole thing started but I’m my mothers health care proxy and power of attorney. She has Alzheimer’s so even me standing on her front yard talking to her through the door makes her happy, she still remembers who I am most of the time. Damn that’s off topic

Edited Apr 4, 2020
  11. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2020

It sounds like going to visit your mother is a good reason to travel.

I'm not sure that adding in a diversion to look at a watch is the best of ideas though.

You'd be handling something that you don't know is free from covid-19 and potentially transferring covid-19 to the seller if you are not 100% able to confirm that you are free from it, and nothing you have touched or been exposed to on your journey carries the virus.

Maybe better to spend the time researching the model in general, learning all you can, and then looking to make a purchase when things have calmed down.

M'Bob, Syrte, Sidnos and 1 other person like this.
  12. Walrus Apr 4, 2020

At this time I can confirm I am free from it but I guess that could change any minute. Tbh I think looking at one watch is probably safer than going to the supermarket

Observer likes this.
  13. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2020

You're probably right.

The difference being that you need food (making the supermarket a risk you need to encounter if delivery is not an option), you don't need to go look at a new watch.

14. Walrus Apr 4, 2020

By the way I don’t want to come off like I’m dismissing what ur saying. You kind of hit on my title has current situation changed your watch buying habits or whatever I wrote. I go shopping every two weeks and if the parking lot is busy I don’t go in. As of now this seamaster is just an idea in my head but I already have three things making me think of passing and that’s before I even get to the human interaction part. Although I’m talking about it I laid out reasons I shouldn’t obtain it at this time. But damn it does look nice and it’s a good price. Damn this yin yang shit

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 4, 2020

No

Commentators that don’t know shit about how to recover from this... we are in uncharted water and I don’t care who it is, no one can predict how the economy will look next year let alone how the luxury market will look.

lindo, Syrte, 8100_RPM and 8 others like this.
  16. Skrv Apr 4, 2020

Given the current times I am really nervous about buying watches. Last year was a good year where I ended up buying a Rolex Submariner, GMT master 2 and Omega 50th anniversary steel. Now I am wondering if I should have just saved that money in a HYS and taken the 1.5% interest. Things at work could hairy if this downturn continues for more than a few quarters. My company froze all bonus and salary increases which we all agreed is the right thing to do and exiting this with your job intact is the new baseline in this condition. Watch buying is the last thing on my mind right now and looking at getting ready to sell :(

17. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2020

Thinking back to conversations long ago, with folks on this forum who were affectionately (I hope) referred to as "weasels", two pieces of advice come to mind:

1 - Keep your powder dry. You never know when something might show up that you want, at a price you don't want to miss. Have the cash on hand just in case.

Which is always overruled by:

2 - There are lots of things more important than watches. Have the cash on hand to deal with those things if they arise unexpectedly.

wristpirate, JPE.88305, Syrte and 5 others like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 4, 2020

The WOFs are still active :whistling:

19. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2020

Oh hello. ;)

styggpyggeno1 and STANDY like this.
  20. Observer I know nothing! Apr 4, 2020

Probably a good time to be patient. You don’t need another watch if you already have several, and if you’re not 100% financially secure in uncertain times, you should be holding all the cash you can. One thing you can be pretty sure of is that used wristwatch prices will not be rising anytime soon.

8100_RPM, JanV, Als 27 and 1 other person like this.