have a garage... now need another cool car to park it in :D

Here is what you need to fit in the parking a real Porsche the last in 2 wheel drive and no electronics aid . A996 Carrera 2.
IDK the 996 is not faster then the e46m3, a very good driver can get a little more from the 996 which is down on power. 996 have IMS issues which HAS to be done, while you run a small chance of vanos issues with the BMW. The interior is better on the M3 and feels less dated than the 996. The Porsche has more bling power.

The old joke is what is the difference between the 996 and an E46M... One is faster, one has a huge trunk and useable backseat, one is cheaper and costs less to own, the other is a Porche.

I never say is stock 😀)))

blue bilstein
Short range gearbox ratio 4.0
iPD plenum and K&N filter
Sport exhausts
Short throw from numeric
Module optimisation
And of course ceramic IMS

runs better than the GT3 with the 3.4 liter engine

I'll second this suggestion. My wife had a e30 325ix that she absolutely loved. It was a rock for reliability and although not a lot of power, was great in the snow.
Had a blue one of these a little while back, and can attest to its virtues. Just a blast to drive in the snow (a two door coupe with 70-30 rear to front AWD), and like all straight 6 BMW engines, very reliable. These are becoming quite rare in my part of the world. Hard to believe they may in some instances be more valuable than their M3 counterparts, but so many of them were driven in harsh winters (mine included), and nature and salt took their toll.
IMG_0258.jpeg

This is my wife's old car...1989 325ix

We sold it to our mechanic, who gave it to his son. Son was in a major accident with it, but the car was put back together and the last time we asked, it was still on the road.

Get some italian cool attitude (plus it’s a chick magnet 👍)

8ABE0B27-CB16-46B5-AF3F-901341EF3049.jpeg 321AE508-C26A-4925-BDF2-BE78CEE2A944.jpeg
Edited:

McLaren MP4-12C. Ridiculously fast, pretty reliable and way too cheap as a coupe. Yes, maintenance could be expensive but most things can be done at home.

McLaren MP4-12C. Ridiculously fast, pretty reliable and way too cheap as a coupe. Yes, maintenance could be expensive but most things can be done at home.
Cool choice, but perhaps slightly over the 30k budget. 😉

How about a 987-gen Cayman or a Boxster? More specifically, a facelift (987.2), so you don't have to worry about IMS/bore scoring issues. I ran a 2009 Cayman S for five years, also in winter, and the only thing that went wrong was a failed alternator. Parts are expensive if you go through Porsche, but fortunately there are alternatives. It's easily the best car I've ever owned and I'm seriously missing it at the moment, as I had to sell it due to relocation:
B9FE2E20-ECDC-4EEC-BB91-FD9FA7325DD6.jpeg

Depending on where you are in Switzerland, it's not *that* long of a journey to the Nürburgring.. 😉

Good luck in your search! 😀

Just added this 1962 VW ragtop to the harem. Amazing restoration by a neighbor. This guy is an artist. Very lucky to pick up this beauty from him.
IMG_2932.JPG

Just added this 1962 VW ragtop to the harem. Amazing restoration by a neighbor. This guy is an artist. Very lucky to pick up this beauty from him.
IMG_2932.JPG
I assume your putting Black Plates on it.

great pickup!

Hi All,

thanks a lot for the great discussions, suggestions, and eye candy 😀

LEt me try to answer everyone as there is so much engagement - please don't take it personnally if I don't address your input:

the easy ones:

@FL-Frank @kingsrider : I love seeing beetles on the road but I can't see myself owning one, if only because ...

@rcs914 and @lillatroll @Fatcat @Eek ... I've already scratched the rear-motored Zuffenhausen itch... but I'm a believer for sure 😉 That's why I was thinking of a transaxle however.

@Foo2rama I've also scrateched the 3-series BMW IL6 itch, too... it still sings in my brain!!! Also anything M3's older than E30 (which is out of financial reach...) here are often associated with the "wrong" crowd, unfortunately this rules the M versions out... I know, it's silly, but it just is 😟

@Everyone else about other E30's - I'm probably not attracted to them enough because if I were to go for an E30, it'd be an M3, which is out of reach as mentioned. So I'd always long for that one and not enjoy a non-M car as it'd deserve I'm afraid. I certainly admit this is a masterpiece though!

@Engee thanks but no 2CV thanks 😁

@Everyone suggesting american muscle/ponies, or Capris: I wouldn't mind a nice 60's Stang or Camaro, the nice ones here do cost an arm and a leg though... very different market than the US, really! I love them nonetheless. Not a Capri fan unfortunately 😬

I don't do my wrenching... I am not equipped neither in tools, skills, or time... but I do have access to a few good mechanics here whom I (mostly) trust (for now 😁 )

@MRC interesting, thank you... Can you develop the low mileage => electric corrosion logic? I'm confused... the 2000km would typically be 10 times 200kms rather than 200 times 10km, so no worries about keeping internals clean, unless these tend to gum up of course which I don't think is the case 😀 MR2 is a strong contender in the shortlist but finding a nice one that doesn't fetch silly prices appears to be a challenge indeed...

@vinylcall I love your last comment 👍

@p4ul not my cup of tea, but I have much respect for Panther's and the likes!

@cakey007 TVR's are very rare in Switzerland - I like them a lot however, but I feel I'd probably wrap one around a post quicker than it takes to break-in a set of tires 😁 Seriously, they are over budget here, except the RHD sometimes - which is not an option 😉

@The Father as mentionned in the first post, my daily is a blue-colored with gold rim boosted car from just right after that era. I let you guess which one 😁 (that Hawkeye looks good too I must admit!)

@eugeneandresson I have no idea what you're talking about 😗

@blubarb I test drove 2 MkVII R's (stick and DSG) recently as I was shopping around to possibly replace the blue+gold thug's car and it didn't do it for me... which is a shame as this would have been a great package I admit. 😵‍💫

@TasMike No modern FWD - sorry... I'd be willing to go as far as 205GTi 1.9 or Clio Williams, but not interested in anything FWD more recent because I don't feel emotionnally connected to them, on top of being very wary of 90's-00's-10's French cars build quality (if anyone wants to hear Peugeot horror stories, I have a few handy)... and the Pug and Clio are losing the competition vs. other contenders in my heart anyway... 🤔

@Ludi Same as beetles - love them and they always get thumbs-ups from me when I see someone driving one in the street, but I can't see myself owning one!

@drhex please re-read first post, esp. the #budget section (then there's the #stick section too but it doesn't quite matter really 😁 )

@Mouse_at_Large I'm actually thinking about it... this or a G60....

Keep'em coming, it certainly is more fun than office work I will admit😁

Cheers everyone!
Paul

@Ludi Same as beetles - love them and they always get thumbs-ups from me when I see someone driving one in the street, but I can't see myself owning one

No worries, such a manly car could be pretty intimidated for those who don’t feel man enough to handle it BAE42C74-D177-4D31-851C-439182BE0536.jpeg

1BD4D02C-951C-4BFF-B532-B3ED5F412F92.jpeg

Good luck with your hunt 😉

No worries, such a manly car could be pretty intimidated for those who don’t feel man enough to handle it BAE42C74-D177-4D31-851C-439182BE0536.jpeg

1BD4D02C-951C-4BFF-B532-B3ED5F412F92.jpeg

Good luck with your hunt 😉

cheers! Never thought ANS would ever look so good with a 'stache 😁

What ever you get - older is better. Driving “experience” is magnified in an old Brit sports car, without travelling at illegal or dangerous speeds. In other words you can enjoy yourself at lower overal speeds. So for me that knocks Porsche’s out - they are too good.

Jags are nice but like driving a lounge.

I have this:

18BC9639-B968-4291-8000-66731F3704D4.jpeg

Hugely rewarding to drive, and I haven’t lost my licence yet. Well not in this.

A good (mechanic) friend of mine is well-versed in Integrales (proof below 🥰 ) - and I wouldn't get within a mile of those rare ones that fit the budget constraint mentioned in the first post 😁

IMG_20190408_082619201.jpg

What ever you get - older is better. Driving “experience” is magnified in an old [...] sports car, without travelling at illegal or dangerous speeds.

Agree wholeheartedly.

And hat V8 B looks like a beast 😲

I like your reasoning.

Take a look at a pre-1973 MG midget.

I have one in the basement as a rolling project and it will be epic once finished. Parts availability is the best I know, they are dirt cheap yet difficult to find in good condition.
I hear the driving is epic given low weight (700 kg) and small size. Engine is a de-tuned mini cooper so should fly up to 80-90 kph.
Beat me to it! Almost bought one last year, just couldn't justify it. Sure looks like a fun little machine

IDK the 996 is not faster then the e46m3, a very good driver can get a little more from the 996 which is down on power. 996 have IMS issues which HAS to be done, while you run a small chance of vanos issues with the BMW. The interior is better on the M3 and feels less dated than the 996. The Porsche has more bling power.

The old joke is what is the difference between the 996 and an E46M... One is faster, one has a huge trunk and useable backseat, one is cheaper and costs less to own, the other is a Porche.

I owned a 996 for a few years and it was an awesome car. No IMS issues either. Agreed on the chintzy interior plastics. The factory speakers also sounded god awful. Otherwise, it was maybe the best car I've ever owned. It drove like an absolute dream.