Has anyone used LoupeThis to sell a watch?

I've got an itch to scratch with the ceramic Daytona and I'm thinking of moving a few pieces to fund part of the purchase. Has anyone sold on there? Based on the prices realized, I am pretty confident I'd net more vs trading in the watches to a dealer but after fees come up a bit short versus selling on OF or TRF. I like the idea of selling all at once and not worrying about scammers like I would on ebay. As they are not currently accepting pieces with a reserve, my concern is whether the market on LT has sufficient liquidity and efficiency that I'll receive fair market value. I dont want any of my three watches to be one of those "I stole this watch on LoupeThis!" stories.

If those are examples of the watches that you intend to sell, why not sell them privately? They are all desirable models, and you presumably know their approximate values.

I have not sold anything on LT, but I have often used it as a price reference. You can go through their archive and see exactly how much watches sold for. Note that the prices in the archive include the 10% commission. As with any auction, there is risk, some watches seem to go at bargain prices and some sell at prices that are surprisingly high. But overall, it seems to be a good place to sell, and the fees are much lower than other places.

I will just say that the summer is not the best time to sell a watch, and the market is especially soft right now. If you are confident that you can sell them for more via a forum listing, I'd suggest trying that route since it's less risky. However, if you haven't done that recently, you may be surprised to see that things are not moving quickly at the moment, even when well priced.

+1 Tony.
C24 is the benchmark in Europe, but it always depends on where you are located (UK??- customs then)

I have sold on OF, TRF, and WUS before. OF is by far the best place to sell privately, in my experience. I'm aware the market is slow right now. Would like to avoid a situation, for instance, where I sell one and the other two sit. I'm out a watch I really like and not getting a Daytona!

I like selling on OF also, but the market is very limited. Most watches do not sell here, in my experience. Members are either looking for something rare and special, or a screaming bargain.

If you really want to unload all three quickly to fund a purchase that can't wait, an auction like LT is a good choice. Those are all desirable watches, as Tony mentioned, and I think you will probably get fair value. But those prices may still be disappointing compared to prices over the past couple of years. The market for pre-owned and vintage Rolex, in particular, is not the same. A couple of years ago I bought a Rolex at auction for a price that I felt was quite good. I recently saw a nicer example listed for 20% less ... painful. Maybe the market is just soft, or maybe it is a long-lived correction.
Edited:

Since OF sales seem to show up on watch finder. Both of my recent sales have been to folks outside OF. I still think OF is the best place to sell. Sadly price trends put the lie to watches as investment. We are gonna take our lumps I’m afraid.

I agree, selling all three on forums will be challenging, specially on OF. I'd caution that auctions hold funds in escrow until end user is fully satisfied. I have heard a few rumblings from sellers about the length of time it takes to eventually get your cash. Also, there is the possibility that a buyer can back out as well. Auctions in general scare me for variety of reasons, if you want a sure thing, sell to a reputable dealer and you'll have the cash in hand in 24 hours, hassle free.

Not sure which ceramic Daytona you're looking for, but I have seen a massive uptick in inventory over the past 2 weeks on Panda's and black dial 116500's with gray market dealers. A trade could lessen the 'blow' perhaps.

In any event, good luck with your hunt....the Daytona is a killer watch, best modern sports watch in the market currently.

Unfortunately I have to report an annoying “incident” during a purchase with Loupe This. I am a returning customer having completed previously 2 auctions without any issue.

My 3rd purchase, the most expensive of all, was an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15202ST, one of the most iconic and well know watches in the world, $50,600, not a small sum.

The watch was advertised as complete with box and blank guarantee, and 12 pictures. Was rated 9 out of 10 for conditions “near-mint”, their report also added “Cases exhibits crisp surfaces and sharp chamfered edges.” Watch was identified at “Circa 2000”.

I am an avid collector and among many other luxury timepieces, I own already a 15202ST, different dial color, and my guarantee papers are also unsigned/unnamed, although they do report the details of the watch, its serial number, dial code and reference.

My other watch is an F serial number, full set with original box and documents, this watch is also an F serial number, they are 81 serial numbers away, which means they were produced weeks apart.

As I receive my box and unpack the content and read the serial, I immediately realized that both the box and the documents included with this watch were not belonging to this AP. The box was from a previous era, it even included a completely different number/serial sticker on a side, the papers/warranty were also from a previous era, without any detail of the reference, dial code or serial number.

The watch was not in near mint conditions, it had a very deep scratch on the bracelet that was not reported and most importantly was heavily polished, with edges rounded and not sharp as they should be and were advertised.

I immediately contact Loupe This letting them know about these issues and giving them the benefit of the doubt of a mistake in packing the box/documents. In summary they limited their reply to “watch is sold as is” and did not confront me in any way on the multiple misleading and wrong information about this listing, and the box/paper that were most likely purchased on eBay by consignor and tied to this watch.

I asked to return the watch, as I collect only full sets, or to obtain a 20% credit, as that is the value on average of box and papers. I told them I could not pay for a mistake they made.

Their last reply was including their attorney, after I told them I had to inform the DCA and the watch community of what happened.

Be aware, they pride themselves as experts, vetting and guaranteeing their timepieces, this time the made a big mistake, and even worse customer care. They lost a wealthy client, and I just warn you, hoping you do not fall into the same trap.

I feel for you, but I also wonder why you trusted an auction house’s description over your own eyes. As an avid collector I would imagine you are aware of the hazards when buying at auction…?

Definitively a bummer, though, and I’m sorry this happened to you.

I feel for you, but I also wonder why you trusted an auction house’s description over your own eyes. As an avid collector I would imagine you are aware of the hazards when buying at auction…?

Definitively a bummer, though, and I’m sorry this happened to you.
It was my 3rd purchase so I built a good confidence.
Their listing showed a wrong year of production which is what threw me off completely in my evaluation of the set.
Again mistakes can happen on their side, but imo they cannot provide a response and customer care like that ignoring a bad mistake they made

Sorry to hear about your experience. Sounds frustrating.

I found it amusing that their ratings only ever went from 8 to 10.

What's the rush, OP? The 116500 panda is sure to sell at a discount once the 126500 hits the shelves. The redesigned panda looks so much better. I'd save for that one. I think you can definitely take your time to sell your watches.

What's the rush, OP? The 116500 panda is sure to sell at a discount once the 126500 hits the shelves. The redesigned panda looks so much better. I'd save for that one. I think you can definitely take your time to sell your watches.
That’s totally subjective. The 116500 is perhaps one of the best executed modern sports model Rolex has produced. Making updates to an iconic watch was not going to be easy to say the least. I am not sure I like the steal bezel ring and the wider symmetrical case of the 126500. The case is also comes with bigger crown guards and pointed lugs. The dial updates with slimmer hour markers and sundials bother me less. One of the reasons I love the 116500 is due to the way it conforms to your wrist. The watch is not bulky and wears extremely comfortable. Rolex had to refresh this reference which had been in production since ‘16, and in my opinion doesn’t mount to any improvements to the watch. The 116500 panda will go down as one of the all time classics.
Edited:

Hi Guys-

I am one of the owners of Loupe This and have the following reply to this meritless complaint. Many of you know who I am.

OP complains about the watch and papers he received when the listing on the site had no less than 13 unedited images showing exactly what he was getting- including the papers and box that were included. In the description, it even mentioned that the papers included were blank. Not "open", but completely blank.

In an email exchange at the conclusion of the auction and prior to him sending payment, we again reiterate that the papers are completely blank and he still proceeds to send payment. Rude emails commence once the watch is received, with the buyer demanding $10k in compensation, further threatening to report us to the "DCA" and share with hundreds of thousands of internet people about us, then throwing shade at my business partner and myself in the process while continually throwing subtle insults at the operation. At this point we cease communication and let our attorney handle further communication on our behalf.The website says several times "All Sales Final" and he further agreed upon this when he clicks the disclaimers during the bidding process. It couldn't be more clear.

While we have in the past made concessions to make customers happy or to right a perceived wrong, this OP chose the threatening route to approach us and of course we do not negotiate with terrorists. With literally thousands of transactions with happy buyers and sellers, we are confident in our track record and have nothing to hide.

Unfortunately I have to report an annoying “incident” during a purchase with Loupe This. I am a returning customer having completed previously 2 auctions without any issue.

My 3rd purchase, the most expensive of all, was an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15202ST, one of the most iconic and well know watches in the world, $50,600, not a small sum.

The watch was advertised as complete with box and blank guarantee, and 12 pictures. Was rated 9 out of 10 for conditions “near-mint”, their report also added “Cases exhibits crisp surfaces and sharp chamfered edges.” Watch was identified at “Circa 2000”.

I am an avid collector and among many other luxury timepieces, I own already a 15202ST, different dial color, and my guarantee papers are also unsigned/unnamed, although they do report the details of the watch, its serial number, dial code and reference.

My other watch is an F serial number, full set with original box and documents, this watch is also an F serial number, they are 81 serial numbers away, which means they were produced weeks apart.

As I receive my box and unpack the content and read the serial, I immediately realized that both the box and the documents included with this watch were not belonging to this AP. The box was from a previous era, it even included a completely different number/serial sticker on a side, the papers/warranty were also from a previous era, without any detail of the reference, dial code or serial number.

The watch was not in near mint conditions, it had a very deep scratch on the bracelet that was not reported and most importantly was heavily polished, with edges rounded and not sharp as they should be and were advertised.

I immediately contact Loupe This letting them know about these issues and giving them the benefit of the doubt of a mistake in packing the box/documents. In summary they limited their reply to “watch is sold as is” and did not confront me in any way on the multiple misleading and wrong information about this listing, and the box/paper that were most likely purchased on eBay by consignor and tied to this watch.

I asked to return the watch, as I collect only full sets, or to obtain a 20% credit, as that is the value on average of box and papers. I told them I could not pay for a mistake they made.

Their last reply was including their attorney, after I told them I had to inform the DCA and the watch community of what happened.

Be aware, they pride themselves as experts, vetting and guaranteeing their timepieces, this time the made a big mistake, and even worse customer care. They lost a wealthy client, and I just warn you, hoping you do not fall into the same trap.

50k for 15202st is a bargain. White dial? Are you keeping the watch or moving it along? Sorry to hear.

Audemars Pieguet unofficially confirmed that the box and paper do NOT belong to this watch. An expert like you should have known. And I believe you did.

The watch is on its way to AP for review and certification, costing me several thousand dollars. Hoping it was never reported stolen.

Everyone makes mistakes, I just asked to send you watch back, no rude emails as you wrote.

I completed 2 other successful bids with LoupeThis, and I posted that as well.

You have been hiding behind your sales conditions and it’s your choice. But your advertising was not accurate, actually it included a major mistake and omissions.

It’s important that people know, so they can pay 10 times the attention I did before bidding. And you also pay more attention when you rate the product you are selling.

Be well

Hi Guys-

I am one of the owners of Loupe This and have the following reply to this meritless complaint. Many of you know who I am.

OP complains about the watch and papers he received when the listing on the site had no less than 13 unedited images showing exactly what he was getting- including the papers and box that were included. In the description, it even mentioned that the papers included were blank. Not "open", but completely blank.

In an email exchange at the conclusion of the auction and prior to him sending payment, we again reiterate that the papers are completely blank and he still proceeds to send payment. Rude emails commence once the watch is received, with the buyer demanding $10k in compensation, further threatening to report us to the "DCA" and share with hundreds of thousands of internet people about us, then throwing shade at my business partner and myself in the process while continually throwing subtle insults at the operation. At this point we cease communication and let our attorney handle further communication on our behalf.The website says several times "All Sales Final" and he further agreed upon this when he clicks the disclaimers during the bidding process. It couldn't be more clear.

While we have in the past made concessions to make customers happy or to right a perceived wrong, this OP chose the threatening route to approach us and of course we do not negotiate with terrorists. With literally thousands of transactions with happy buyers and sellers, we are confident in our track record and have nothing to hide.

50k for 15202st is a bargain. White dial? Are you keeping the watch or moving it along? Sorry to hear.

Watch is on its way to AP for rating certification and most likely service. It does not work well unfortunately and the mechanism of the crown is very hard to twist.

I am not sure what will i do with it after I get the paperwork back, hoping i do not find out that dial was service or even worse that the watch was reported stolen, which I truly hope it was checked before.

I collect only full sets and this is a hybrid that I am not sure I want in my collection.

In the description, it even mentioned that the papers included were blank. Not "open", but completely blank.

Did the sales post state or clearly imply that the box and papers were original to the watch? If so, it would seem that the buyer might have a case for a return.

Did the sales post state or clearly imply that the box and papers were original to the watch? If so, it would seem that the buyer might have a case for a return.

It was, you can see the attached picture.

I asked for a return, they said there is no return policy. I find it hard to believe.

It is what it is at this point, I hope it does not happen again to someone else