Forums Latest Members
  1. stefpix Jul 16, 2014

I bought this a bit on an impulse for a good price.
    It looked original to me except the crown (that I could purchase separately).

But looking at the hands I am wonder if the hour and minute indicators are too short.

I am wondering whether keeping this or not. I'd like to put an original crown and maybe hands (which ones?).

The dial has some discoloration (looks milder to the naked eye than in photos). I am wondering if it is possible to clean it maybe with a Q Tip, and some alcohol or lens cleaning solution.

thanks

stefano

DSC_9375.jpg DSC_9372.jpg DSC_9383.jpg DSC_9378.jpg DSC_9371.jpg DSC_9370.jpg DSC_9364.jpg
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2014

Judging by the missing bits of script, the dial looks like it's already been cleaned too vigorously

3. stefpix Jul 18, 2014

Thanks, I like the shape of the case a lot,. The movement seems to keep good time. I am debating whether spending $100 to put orig crown, hands (dauphine) and maybe glass. I know the center has been cleaned too much, but the outer part looks it could be cleaned, without touching the center. It looks better in real life than in these close up photos.

4. Dork Jul 19, 2014

If you're really into the watch and plan on keeping it for a while $100 is good. If you ever sell it you will get more money for it with original parts. Good Luck.

5. stefpix Jul 19, 2014

Thanks. My watchmaker put it on the electronic timing machine told me the movement is perfect, keeping time and clean / oiled.

I am conflicted. crown, hour / minute hands and glass would cost me 115 incl shipping + 30 for labor to install them. it would come up to 370 incl the price of the watch. the paint with the minute markers and swiss made is faded. Maybe not a huge deal for a daily wearer. But I'd like the idea to not spend more than its value. If it could maybe sold for 450 / 500 if I get tired of it or if i found something similar in better condition then I think I would go ahead. I will think about a couple of days.

6. Dork Jul 19, 2014

That is a bit steep.The hands don't look bad they fit the clean lines of the watch.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 19, 2014

The correct hands for your watch aren't dauphine but sticks as shown below, and more likely without tritium but black fill.

You won't improve collector value much (if at all) by replacing hands /crown and crystal but it may give you some personal satisfaction.

If the dial and case were in much better condition it would warrant spending money but the clumsy engraving on the caseback is a burden to future fortune.

The caliber 601 is one of Omega's better manual wind engines and if properly serviced, will last a lifetime.

If you wish to keep it, just replace the hands, polish the crystal, get it serviced and enjoy it.

Cheers

Jim

SM1.JPG

SM2.JPG

Dork likes this.
  8. stefpix Jul 19, 2014

Thanks for all the opinions I think as the indices are silver, the hands should be silver as well. Your watch seems to have black indices.
    I could just replace the hands, maybe the crystal and leave the current crown, so that could save me a little. The current minute hand is 1 cm/ 10 mm long. I think I should get 12.7 mm. The movement as I wrote above is perfect. Just the hands really appear out of proportion.

hour / minute hands are $29, crystal 38, crown 32.

I'd skip on replaceing teh second hand, but I hope a black one would not look bad with silver hour / minute hands.

With longer hands I would be more satisfied. Not planning to make a fortune, but to break even if i want to resell it, considering auction fees etc.

I was thinking of getting the HAN 4365

http://www.ofrei.com/page864.html

keep the black second hand.

I like the shape of the case.
    Engraving on the back I do not see it when I wear it. strange someone engraved their SSN on their watch!

9. OMO Aug 1, 2014

10. stefpix Aug 1, 2014

I am trying to sell it and I got another, but a different style. It is a shame as I love the tool / chunky like case. ofrei.com has the partss. The hands are about 33 dollars (excl the second hand). crown and crystal are more or less the same. I could have just changed the hands (I think the original had stick hands, not dauphine). The watchmaker would charge me about 30 to install them. But the minute markers on the dial have faded... so I am debating. I missed one on ebay that looked in great condition.
    On the other hand the movement is in great condition.